The dreaded N00B post

JeF4y

Hey everyone.

I'm Jeff, in S.E. WI & new to the reef scene. Oddly enough, what started out 2 weeks ago as a quest to have "a couple of gold fish" has resulted in:

Biocube 29
Stand
Heater
Extra Pump
SR3 Skimmer
30# crushed coral substrate
and as of last night, 30# Fiji premium liverock

Getting things settled in and hoping to pick up some corals in the next couple of weeks and add a few fish a couple weeks after that.

Anyhoo..... Just making the required "hi, I'm the new guy" post.

Cheers.

-Jeff

Cavinca

Hello Jeff,

Im carl. Best advice ever.... RESEARCH EVERYTHING. (before buying.)

good luck and welcome to RS.

PS. I really dont think goldfish like saltwater...

lcstorc

Welcome to RS!
There are a lot of us who kind of "fell" into the hobby. Beware, it is very addictive.

JeF4y

Welcome to RS!
There are a lot of us who kind of "fell" into the hobby. Beware, it is very addictive.

LOL... all my hobbies always have been.. And god awful expensive as well..

Started with stereos back in the 90's, then to roadracing motorcycles from 99-07 and now this. LOL.

But having had obsessive/expensive hobbies in the past, I'm up for it. :bouncer:

Jeremy0322

Well, you may have stumbled onto something slightly less expensive than the motorcycles, for now...lol. Just make sure you take your time and like they said, research everything, it will be worth it in the end with one beautiful tank. However, with the way your progression has happened so far I strongly doubt you will have the current tank for now, I see atleast a 75 gallon in your future...very near future :lol:

JeF4y

LOL... yes, we are already planning on a much larger tank, but we're looking to move from Milwaukee to Atlanta within the next year. Still don't know how we're going to move what we have going in the 29G at that point...

Bigger tank will have to wait until then. =)

Jeremy0322

LOL... yes, we are already planning on a much larger tank, but we're looking to move from Milwaukee to Atlanta within the next year. Still don't know how we're going to move what we have going in the 29G at that point...

Bigger tank will have to wait until then. =)

You will eat those words more than likely. I said the same thing over and over again, I am moving in 2 months and was like, ill just wait til i move before i get something bigger, and then I found the deal that couldnt be passed up, and now with less than 8 weeks left in PA before moving to NC the 90 has just finished its cycle :lol:

Jeremy0322

With ALOT of 5 gallon buckets. I am going to keep the fish load really light so i dont have to catch everything, transfer most of the water and rock to buckets, have a bucket with a heater and an air pump for the corals, another one for the fish I do have, and then put everything on a truck and drive it 11 hours to NC, then set everything back up that night...lol Sounds like a blast, doesnt it?

JeF4y

LOL... the bucket xfer! yay! That's what I was thinking I'd have to do too... ugh. doesn't sound like fun, but with the investment in all this it's worth it.

Sapphire

Welcome to RS! :wave:

I kind of did the same as you except I actually did the goldfish for the outside pond!

Apart from the effect on the wallet it's a great hobby!

Anyway look forward to seeing some pics!

Jeremy0322

There are a ton of threads on here about people moving and taking tanks with them, a quick search and you should find all the information you need.

JeF4y

Yup.. So far I've found answers to most everything I have questions on.. And I'm still browsing through the rest.

StirCrayzy

Welcome aboard !
When i moved my 40g i bought 3 brand new garbage cans and split water between 2 and rocks in 3rd . Duct taped the lids on and carted on a truck. it was not too bad, but 20g is still damn heavy.