Red nubs on a piece of liverock

JeF4y

Not sure if these are the same as the ones in the "red tree" thread, but figured I'd put up some pics. Any ID would be great!

I have one piece of liverock with these small red nubs growing out of it. Again, it's only on one piece. Sorry for the microbubbles in the pics. They're about the diameter of a piece of uncooked spaghetti and about 5mm long.

1_02_05_09_7_18_46.jpeg

1_02_05_09_7_19_16.jpeg

1_02_05_09_7_19_47.jpeg

Pic of the tank. Biocube 29 30# liverock, 30# crushed coral, 5 red reef hermies, 3 nassarius snails, 3 tiny trochus snails. Brown algae on its way out! YAY!

1_02_05_09_7_20_24.jpeg

JeF4y

btw, these are my first ever aquarium pics, so be kind if they're too big, etc. I do take constructive criticism quite well =) camera is a nikon D50 with a 80x300 zoom on macro settings. Went through about 100 manual settings until I got something that looked decent. I'm *not* a camera guy.. lol

cbrownfish

I believe you have vermitid snails/gastropods. Harmless unless they become a plague and then they are only an annoyance.

seafansar

Agreed. Vermitid snails. You might want to get a bubble diffuser for your skimmer's outlet to stop all of those microbubbles from swirling around in your tank. Looking good so far!

JeF4y

Agreed. Vermitid snails.

Thanks! folks.

You might want to get a bubble diffuser for your skimmer's outlet to stop all of those microbubbles from swirling around in your tank. Looking good so far!

Bubble diffuser? explain please..

I removed the blue "bio media" in the final chamber of the SR3 based on other posts/recommendations here. Should I replace it?

I'm also playing with the water level in chamber 2 & the venturi setting for the skimmer. Seems like if I have ANY bubbles within the skimmer, I get microbubbles in the tank.

seafansar

Bubble diffuser? explain please..

I removed the blue "bio media" in the final chamber of the SR3 based on other posts/recommendations here. Should I replace it?

I'm also playing with the water level in chamber 2 & the venturi setting for the skimmer. Seems like if I have ANY bubbles within the skimmer, I get microbubbles in the tank.

Bubble diffuser/trap: something that bursts all the bubbles before going back into your tank.

My guess is that people told you to remove the bio media cause bio balls and such have been known to increase nitrates over time. From the looks of that skimmer, it seems they were using that media as a bubble diffuser/trap. Were the bubbles present when you had the media in there? I would think that if the only water that was going through the bio media has already been through a skimmer that you wouldn't have to worry that much about stuff getting caught in it and building up nitrates. But if you don't want to add the media back in, you could cut a sponge to fit in the same area making it easy to clean the sponge if it gets dirty. The sponge should help break up the bubbles, but if it's not enough try googling "skimmer bubble trap or diffuser" to get some other ideas.

l3fty999

I agree with Witfull, I have these myself and I see little tentacles coming out of them, they're miniature versions of some kind of worm. They're really pretty cool looking and I have my kids check it out too... I hand out the magnifying glasses and they're captivated. It even beats the xbox 360! And get this, it even holds the attention of my teenage daughter's friends too! Anyone else have their kids and friends interested like that? It just makes me feel good...

Take care
Aaron

JeF4y

Maybe it's just me being a total n00b but I think I find something new in that tank every day! Had 2 crabs molt which freaked the hell out of us because all of a sudden here was a "dead" crab outside of its shell, but the crab count never changed! Then again! LOL... Then it was snail eggs.. LOL.. always something of interest in our own little universe.