External Fuge questions

JeF4y

I'm looking to build an external fuge using perhaps a smaller (10 gal?) AIO tank. I just don't understand how I can transfer water in/out of it without the possibility (or minimizing the possibility) of flooding either tank.

Anyone?

(and before you suggest, no, I can't make a fuge in the sump of my BC29)

Thanks in advance!!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It's a tough one but CAN be done. Basically what you want to do is design it to where the outlet of the "Fuge" is fairly high in the FUGE so that when the power goes out and it "Back Drains" the siphon is broken soon to minimize the amount of water coming back into the Display Tank (DT).

Also the best bet (at least in my eyes) is to use a small pump from the DT to the Fuge and just let gravity feed it back through a bulkhead. You'll have to test and "Tweak" but you'll want to always ALLOW for "THAT" amount of water in your DT. Also keep in mind in this "Fuge High" configuration any water evaporation will occur in the DT so if you're wanting to configure an ATO unit your sensors will need to be in the DT.

JeF4y

Thanks Al.

No ATO as of yet (next tank after we move). Just trying to house some macro algae & grow pods.

We actually did this at the store I work at. We took a 30g sump and posted it above the display tank. We did so because we wanted to customers to be able to see how a sump/refug works. The easiest wait to do it would be to have a pump in the display that provides water to the sump.

On ours, in between the sump and the pump we have a check valve to stop the reverse siphon that would occur. for the return we used an overflow idea to stop the water back to the display. It works well just like a regular set up except it gives a great view to the customers as far as how a sump works.