Emergency birth of a 60 Cube from a 29 that SPLIT!

JeF4y

What started here:
http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ffys-bc29-big-sump-adventure-tons-o-pics.html

Ends up here...

Have you ever had one of those days when you wonder, "what have I done to the universe to deserve this?!?" 4:21am Saturday Sept 12 as I stood undressed, in the darkness of my bedroom audibly begging for our reef aquarium to stop pouring saltwater from the split in its side onto my 1 year old $30/yard carpet, that thought crossed my mind.

But let's back up a bit...

It was a Friday not unlike many others. My wife wanted to "take a day off" and just do nothing. She decided she would join me for lunch as her ONE thing to do. We had a wonderful lunch and then the rest of her day seemed to slide into its normal chaos with one child needing to go to the doctor, another missing the bus, etc. She decided we should go see a movie that night to take a break from it all.

6:00pm, not 20 minutes after complaining how the clip for my iPhone wasn't holding my phone right, I was retrieving it from the bottom of a porcelin water holder (if you know what I mean). Well, it SORT OF works... Ugh.

Off to the movie we go (Final Destination 3 in 3D. Great slasher ridiculousness.). This was to be the least eventful portion of the evening.

11:00pm. Phone rings. "Hello, this is the Waukesha County Sherriff's department. Is Tori your daughter?" This is a call that the parent of a teenager absolutely dreads. My heart falls to the office floor, but regains a beat after the deputy on the other end of the line explains how my daughter was in a car with a couple of other morons when one of them decided it would be a good idea to throw a chocolate chip cookie out the window at an on-coming car. Just so happened to be that car was a cop, with his window open... (and here we should note that tossing a cookie at a cop car, whether you know it's a cop or not, construes ASSAULT which carries a SIGNIFICANT fine). Thankfully our daughter wasn't in any trouble, and in the end we did have a laugh about it with the cop (who we met a year earlier - long story).

Back home, we hung out for a little while doing those "parental" things like discussing "guilt by association", etc. and headed off to bed a little after midnight. I even turned off the alarm clock so I could hopefully sleep in. Little did I know I was about to be one of those passengers on the Titanic enjoying a cognac just a few hours before ICEBERG RIGHT AHEAD!!!

In the depths of my brain there are many things I ponder. One is how the subconscious has the ability to react in certain situations. Such was the case when at 4:21am I woke up because there was a sound from the aquarium that just wasn't right. It was running water, but it wasn't the auto-top-off, and it wasn't the overflow. I walked over and peered at it in the darkness, trying to find the source. Then as I stuck my right hand out it was immediately soaked. My first thought was that something was blocking the overflow to the sump and the display was simply overflowing. A little more movement of my hand and adjustment to my eyes and the situation, and I quickly realized the water was coming from a top to bottom SPLIT in the front right corner of the tank. Water was pouring out in a stream about 6" long and shooting out a distance of about 6" from the tank.

I stuffed my hand over it like the storybook "finger in the hole of the dyke" and started to actually BEG with my tank "please please please stop STOP STOP NO! NO! NO!". Then realizing that I'm trying to rationalize with a hunk of glass that obviously has a differing agenda than mine, I yelled for my wife who sprang out of bed, tossed some sweats on and ran over. She grabbed towels and a huge cotton blanket while I finally threw on some pants as well.

I shut off the main return to keep from pumping more water into the busted tank, and drained off what we could into the sump. We still had well over 20 gallons left in the tank. Somehow (I'm guessing Jen ran and grabbed them), a hoarde of buckets and tubs appeared in the bedroom and we quickly siphoned off the rest into these buckets.

Once the water was down below the largest leaking portion of the split, it stopped leaking. However, we now had all of our corals exposed to the air, liverock sitting precariously over the fish and inverts who are all trying to hide, wondering what the hell is happening. We pulled the rock out piece by piece and got it in the buckets of water. I grabbed every snail & hermit I could find and tossed them in the sump, knowing they would survive fine there.

As the rock disappeared, I found the fish, all cowering in various low spots of about 1/2" of water. They were NOT happy, but were easy enough to grab and drop into a tub of water. Same thing for the corals, shrimp and conch.

Now mind you, ALL of this took place in like 15 minutes. Which again takes me back to the subconscious. My guess is that at most, we dumped 1-2 gallons of water onto the floor. Which tells me it wasn't leaking for long before I woke up and was THERE.

So here it is, 5:00am and we need to figure out a gameplan for the day. Step 1, we have 5 buckets/tubs with water/fish/inverts/corals in them which we need to keep heated and aerated. Into the shower they went, and we got airstones on them. We only had 2 heaters so heaters were immediately on the list. Second was saltwater. We were gonna need a LOT. I already had around 15 gallons mixed up in the basement and another 15 gal of RO in bottles, so I dumped the bottles in and mixed up the rest of it to have 30 gallons "brewing". The only store open this early would be the Wal-Mart super center, so we set off to pick up some heaters and fill 4 5 gal bottles with RO.

0916_13.jpg

We picked up the heaters, RO and 4 4-packs of Sugar-Free Redbull and were back home by 6:00am. At home, I finally had a chance to look at the tank and dissect what happened to it (or so I believe).

When we did the sump upgrade to the tank in July, I built a stand for it. Now, I'm far from incompetent, but I'm not Bob Villa either. So it was no surprise that the stand was not 100% absolutely PERFECT. We knew that the top surface had a difference in height between cross corners of about 1/16" or maybe less. However, we did what "everyone else" does. Put down pink foam insulation and let the tank settle into it.

From the pics here, you can see that the the marks in the pink foam definitely showed that the front right and back left corners were the highest points of the top of the stand. Here are level pics as well.

Pink foam indent in front right corner:
0916_01.jpg

Pink foam indent in back left corner:
0916_02.jpg

Level/straight-edge pic front right to back left corners. You can see the gap in the middle indicating a low spot:
0916_03.jpg

Level/straight-edge pic front left to back right corners. You can see the gap on the corners where the middle is the high spot:
0916_04.jpg

Pic of the tank split. It went from top to bottom on the right front corner. Considering the two high points, it seems kind of obvious that there was excessive downward pressure on the front left and back right corners which would have caused stress to the front right & back left corners. Being as the front and sides are one piece of glass, bent at the front corners, it's entirely possible that there were already tiny stress fractures in the glass at that corner. There was additionally a LOT of flow at the front right corner, all of the substrate had washed out of it and there was rock that had shifted and was touching the glass. I believe in the end that it was a combination of ALL of these factors which ultimately led to the split.

0916_06.jpg

So now comes the crucial point. We need a new tank, so let's do it right now that we know a bit more. We definitely didn't want another biocube as it just didn't work for what we wanted, but having the custom stand currently holding our sump that was FULL with water & some inverts, rock, etc we had to decide whether to try and level that stand and get a new tank that would fit it or to go all new with SOMETHING that would fit in our space and accommodate the 31" sump, filter, etc.

We also took this opportunity to re-evaluate our substrate. In late July during our "Big Sump Adventure" we switched substrate from crushed coral to a super-fine Bahama Aragonite sand. The sand was beautiful, but as fine as popcorn salt, it tended to blow around and get on all the rock and in the corals which annoyed us. We both liked the compromise we used in the sump which was CaribSea Fiji Pink sand. It was significantly larger than the powder fine sand we had in the display, but still quite a bit smaller than the huge chunks of crushed coral we originally started with.

Bahama Aragonite:
0916_34.jpg

Fiji Pink:
0916_36.jpg

Now with some heat on everything, we did what we could until all of the local fish stores opened at 10:00.

We walked through the door of the first store as soon as they unlocked the doors and quickly found that they had a couple tanks that could work, but we weren't really thrilled with them. So we headed over to the next store. In there, we found 2 tanks which would work with the stand we had, but they also had a couple of Marineland Deep-Dimension tanks which I had been drooling over for a long time and intended to get as a "next" tank. The two they had were a 60 gallon cube (2'x2'x2') and a 93 gallon cube (30"x30"x24"). Both had stands as well, but the 60 was drilled & plumbed "reef ready" where the 93 was not.

After some brief consideration, the 93 would fit the sump, but we would either have to drill it ourselves or wait for the "reef ready" model. Neither option was attractive. Additionally, considering this is a 2nd floor installation, I wasn't too sure I wanted to setup a tank that was going to be +1000 lbs. The 60 would work TODAY, and had exceptional potential for building a reef like the one we wanted, So the 60 with its stand was going to be the new home. We picked up the Tank, Stand and 120# of the Fiji Pink sand (only used 80#).

Old vs New:
0916_05.jpg

0916_08.jpg

0916_09.jpg

0916_10.jpg

Back at home we had to come up with a game plan. First thing was to spray the back of the tank black instead of using a background. As that dried, we set off to find something to hold the sump. We AMAZINGLY found a bookcase that would work PERFECTLY. It was crazy how difficult it was to find something that would fit this 31" sump, yet not be HUGE.

0916_11.jpg

I'm guessing this was around 2pm by now, and the next 12 hours went by in much of a blur. Around 2:30am, we had the tank & substrate rinsed, leveled, installed, controller installed, filled with a mixture of new water and 'rescued' water, a quick aqauscape and plumbing of the filter to get some of the crud out of the water.

Supervisor gave up on us:
0916_14.jpg

Neptune Apex mounting:
0916_15.jpg

0916_19.jpg

A few hours of sleep and we were up and back at it. Still needed to get the tank up to temp as all of our heaters were (a) small and (b) in use, we had our daughter run pick up a 150W heater. While she was doing that, I finished off the plumbing (which we had one problem with, but that's another LONG story that I won't go into).

Around 3:00pm we had things up to temp and were able to get the corals, fish and inverts back into the tank. We quickly found out that our old Koralia 1 pumps were not strong enough for good flow in the tank so we ran out and bought 2 Koralia 3's which we rotate on/off every 12 hours (one on at a time).

In the installation, we laid down egg-crate on the bottom of the tank to (a) keep the rock off of the glass and (b) ensure nothing can burrow under the rock to the point of causing an avalanche. We also put some egg-crate on the back wall on the sides of the center overflow to allow us to get rock closer to the back without touching the glass. While I'm not wholly thrilled with how it looks right now, it'll grow over soon enough, and should provide some protection from rock-on-glass which now has me paranoid.

Complete Setup:
0916_22.jpg

0916_23.jpg

Sump:
0916_24.jpg

Monday was 'Lights Day'. In the past few weeks I had been just starting to look into lighting to see what we might want for our next tank. I was undecided between Metal Halide and T5-HO Fluorescent. Having a 24" cube this deep did pose a bit of a challenge in that most all T5 lighting was only a 4 bulb fixture for 24" length. We didn't want to cobble anything together, and wanted something that would work for literally anything we wanted to put into the tank, so we pulled out all stops and ordered the BMW of lighting... 24" 8 bulb x 24W High Output ATI Powermodule (arguably one of the best T5HO fixtures on the planet), which should be here on Friday.

At the end of the day, we're pretty pleased with the new 'emergency' tank and glad that the only casualty was our checkbook...

FTS:
0916_26.jpg

0916_27.jpg

Frogspawn:
0916_29.jpg

Nem:
0916_37.jpg

Zoa's:
0916_28.jpg

Sun's:
0916_31.jpg

Last edited:

JeF4y

Yep, and it's somewhat the culmination of what we've learned over the last 7 months of doing this, so we're both excited. Can't wait for the ATI lights. Any recommendations on bulbs or bulb order?

reef dummy

Good story telling. I once woke up to a cracked tank too, I thought I heard bacon sizzlin. It was the water running thru the crack, ughh!

JeF4y

LMAO... Bacon Sizzling is such a great way to wake up, and a perfect description of the sound here... Too bad it wasn't (for both of us!)

djrufio

That's one very intense night!!! I can't believe that so many things could of happened to you in such a short time period! You guys are lucky that the tank was in your bedroom and it woke you! Imagine waking up to finding your living room empty and a lake on your 30/yard carpet!

JeF4y

Went to a frag swap over the weekend & picked up a few goodies:

One thing we managed to pick up was the "herpes of reefkeeping" in a nice fat aiptasia, but we simply remounted the coral on a new rock.

Sorry the pics are so blue. Just got the new ATI Powermodule & took the pics late with mostly actinics on under a few layers of screen.

Couple of Ric's:
0921_1.jpg

Some type of Acan (wife knows)
0921_2.jpg

Acan colony
0921_3.jpg

Colt:
0921_4.jpg

Toadstool:
0921_5.jpg

JeF4y

Okay, so time for a few updates.

Everything has been going pretty well since the emergency build. We've added a few more corals, and the water has stayed very stable. The new ATI Powermodule light fixture is working brilliantly, but we still have another week and a half of acclimation to go through before it's on the tank at full strength (using 3 layers of screen, removing 1 layer weekly).

We picked up a calcium reactor from a local guy who was getting rid of it and have installed it. In doing that, I cleaned up all of the wiring to get EVERYTHING electrical off the floor of the cabinet.

0930_2.jpg

I ended up mounting the ATO pump on the left wall of the cabinet away from everything electrical, and ran the feed tube for it across the top of the cabinet. It worked out pretty well.

0930_1.jpg

0930_3.jpg

Another thing I did was pick up some thick rubber "Shower Pan" from Home Depot which we screwed into the bottom of the cabinet to catch water before it gets a chance to hit the carpet where we couldn't clean it up. Eventually I want to pick up a water-bug type sensor and lay it down here. I'm sure this could hold a few gallons of water, but I'd rather not test that theory.

0930_4.jpg

In our additions, we also wanted to add a few more fish. One was for function:

Lawnmower Blenny
0930_6.jpg

The other for beauty:

Flame Angel
0930_7.jpg

All is going quite well, but we still have to toy with the CA reactor to get it set up right. I started with a 'basic' setting, but it ended up raising my Alk more than I was comfortable with, and right now I have to leave town unexpectedly for a few days so I simply shut off the CO2 and will start things up when I get back.

So last night as we were testing the tank and checking things out, I was looking in the sump, watching our banished creatures (we banish things to the sump for bad behavior or because we don't want them in the display. Currently there are a handful of snails (maybe) and 3, make that 2 emerald crabs). Anyhow, I'm watching one emerald pick at some rock and my wife was commenting on how "the poor fella has lost a few legs, looks like he got into a fight" when OUT OF NOWHERE, a hooligan gangsta emerald jumped on the crab and totally decimated him! It was awesome, sad and sick all at once...

The only thing I could do was video it! LOL..

Warning! Violent cannibalistic content! Viewer discretion advised
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fADsFK8J-5M[/YOUTUBE]

JeF4y

It's been a while since I've updated this and I got a new toy today so here's a few shots.

FTS
0320_1.jpg

Pedro the Blenny protecting his Zoas
0320_2.jpg

Candy Canes that grew from ONE head 1 yr ago - From Pauls Corals
0320_4.jpg

New toy - Fisheye for the Fish tank!
0320_5.jpg

Another Fisheye shot.
0320_6.jpg

Adalius

I stumbled across this looking for a sump that will fit a 29BC stand. Then I get to reading about the night it split and the cops calling you only to see 'Waukesha County Sheriffs'. You can't imagine how good it is to finally see somebody from the Waukesha area after digging through reef forums for the last 3 weeks!

Looks like you have an awesome tank setup, shame about the BC29 which now has me worried, all I can do now is hope it's perfectly level I suppose. It should be but *crosses fingers*.

lastlight

Great story!

I sure wish the LFS around here carried that 60g cube I really like it (and the fact that it's drilled unlike my Solana).

I have dealt with breaking tanks myself but not while reef-keeping. I was moving a large piece of rock in my 45g frontosa tank and dropped it. You can guess what happen (on the third floor of my appt).

You've done a great job with the new tank!

JeF4y

I stumbled across this looking for a sump that will fit a 29BC stand. Then I get to reading about the night it split and the cops calling you only to see 'Waukesha County Sheriffs'. You can't imagine how good it is to finally see somebody from the Waukesha area after digging through reef forums for the last 3 weeks!

LOL... go figure. Now I'm a resident of Fulton County haha (Atlanta). I haven't updated this thread in a while and haven't been on here much. Spend a lot of time on some local reef forums (both in WI and Atlanta). I will update this thread with our move story!

Looks like you have an awesome tank setup, shame about the BC29 which now has me worried, all I can do now is hope it's perfectly level I suppose. It should be but *crosses fingers*.

I don't know, in the end I think it was a combination of the tank itself and the stand. I do know that you'll never convince me that bent glass is as structurally sound as flat glass though. And I won't ever buy a tank with bent corners again. I'll take my chances with a seam over a bend any day.

And while the BC29 may be a good tank, since writing this I've been contacted by probably a dozen different people who have had their Biocube split at a corner for no real reason. I'm sure there are many many more that don't pop, but....

JeF4y

Okay, so back for more fun!

The goal was simple. Move the 60 cube from SE WI to downtown Atlanta. Pre-planning took a HUGE role in this and made things go off pretty well. In the pre-planning, I had a new stand made from 80/20 extruded aluminum, topped with granite and then skinned with painted wood (which we will snazz up a bit later).

The plan in a nutshell was to take place over the 3 day weekend of the 4th and was to tear down the tank on Friday, load all of the non-living things in the rental van on Fri, load the livestock into the van on Sat morn ~3:30 and make a 4:00am start, driving straight through to Atlanta, unloading and doing partial setup Sat night, then finishing up on Sun/Mon.

All went mostly as planned.

Here's a shot of the start, tank/stand/sump:
01.jpg

And of course, the all important stats on what we've got:

Marineland 60 cube Reef Ready
~20 gal acrylic sump
Vertex IN-80 skimmer modded with Tunze Hydrofoamer pump
ATI 8x24 Powermodule T5 HO lights
Eheim canister filter
Neptune Apex Controller (w/temp/ph x2/ato/moon lights, etc etc etc)
K2R CA reactor
Vortech MP-40W Powerhead
And of course a few other bits which I forgot to mention.

Livestock is simple:
2 clowns
1 target mandarin
1 lawnmower blenny
1 cleaner shrimp
1 fighting conch
1 rock-flower anemone
Trumpet/torch corals
Birdsnest
Shrooms
Toadstool
Zoas
and then some hermit crabs & snails as CUC.

in the move, our existing rock was pretty bad with red furry algae (geledium I believe) and some green bubble algae so we swapped out the worst of it for some VERY clean but seasoned rock from a guy who was tearing his tank down and selling stuff off.

One downside was that I couldn't make water right off the bat at the new place, so I needed to haul ample water with me to keep everything wet and do the build without reusing coral, fish or rock water. Yeah, that meant carrying ~100 gallons of water down there (can you say a van full of 5 gallon buckets?!?!) with some of the water used to keep rock wet & livestock alive.

We got everything loaded & hit the road. The drive was uneventful and everything did just fine. Temp dipped down to about 76, but held in there. We had corals all bagged separately and the fish & shrimp were supposed to stay in sectioned off areas of a cooler which I divided using eggcrate, but they ALL could wiggle through the eggcrate which AMAZED me because my big clown is 2x the size of the holes. I had a battery powered airstone keeping things aerated.

We got in around 7pm and had to lug everything up 1 flight of stairs before we could get into the elevator and take it up to the loft. Once we hauled ~1000lbs or so worth of stuff up to the loft, I started placing things and plumbing, etc.

I had bought 80# new substrate (fiji pink sea-flor sand) for the tank and pre-washed it, so getting it down was simple. I got that down and ran the tank about 1/2 full before calling it a night.

Sunday morning we pulled out the rock and drilled/rodded it (3/8" fiberglass rods from tapplastics) to create a "tripod" style rock stack. I still need to fill in some of the gaps with rubble, etc to hide the rod but for now I'm very thrilled with the layout of it.

We got the rock in and filled the water up using about 50% recovered water and 50% newly made water which we brought down. It took the night to get up to temp and then on Monday we started putting livestock in.

Opening up my huge rock of prized blue zoanthids (which miraculously a newbie like me managed to have the perfect tank as they grew like CRAZY), I was heartbroken to be knocked across the room by the most putrid smell I've ever encountered (and I've smelled some BAD stuff). Ugh. Despite them actually looking okay, the god awful aroma said NO GO for putting them in. As we opened the rest of the corals, the only 2 others we lost were a large finger leather coral and a colony of sun corals. And the only other loss was 3 mexican turbo snails & my tuxedo urchin. In all, not bad at all.. I was VERY worried about the anemone as he didn't look good at all and just wouldn't eat, but after 3 days he's snatching chunks of food just like he used to. And everyone else is adapting quite well.

So without further ado, here are the pics!
Front of the setup:
04.jpg

Front of tank:
06.jpg

Right side of tank:
10.jpg

Left side of tank:
03.jpg

Left view of setup:
02.jpg

Guts of it all:
07.jpg

Right side view:
08.jpg

Closed up sides:
09.jpg

And here's the RODI setup I did! Excellent use of confined space. In my guest bathroom I was able to put my BRS 5 stage RODI under the sink. I can shut it off with the ball-valve attached to it which is important since I need to disconnect the hose from my storage container before moving it or opening it.
12.jpg

For water collection/storage, I found this "Gamma Vittles Vault" which is a 50# dry food storage container made of food-grade plastic. It is 14x14x20 and holds 15 gallons PERFECTLY which is exactly what I use for my water changes. My intention is to make 15 gal of RODI and the night before I do a change, I will add my salt, a powerhead and a heater, and then on change day I can wheel it out and do the change pretty easily. This seemed like the perfect container for a small space.
13.jpg

And, well, that's about it! Just keeping an eye on things and some day down the road I'm looking to add a BTA and a Crocea clam, and maybe another fish.

JeF4y

A couple more pics from the weekend. I tried to take some front-facing wide-angle shots, but without any curtains, the light reflections off the glass really hindered any good shots.

Green shrooms I inherited from the guy I bought the rock from (forget what your user name is! LOL):
1.jpg

Ric's I bought about a year ago at the discovery world frag swap:
2.jpg

Rock-flower anemone. This was one of the first additions to our tank from Paul's Corals and was about the size of a 50-cent piece ~1.5 yrs ago. Now its about 4" across.
3.jpg

Candy-Canes which are ~1.5 yrs old. They started from a SINGLE head from Paul's Corals.
4.jpg

Brain which is about 6mos old to us from Bill. Working on a good spot to keep from bleaching and allow feeding. Seems happier in our new layout.
5.jpg

Candy-Canes/Trumpets - also ~1.5 yrs old and started from a single head as well from Paul's Corals.
6.jpg

Blenny from Feedbag
7.jpg

Side wide-angle shot
8.jpg

Shot of the completed setup. I still have some artwork to hang on the bare walls but from the tank perspective, this is about what we will have:
9.jpg

vubben

Hi Jef4y.
I am using the same container for my water storage (except that the top of mine is angled forward) It's terrific. In fact I had a bad heater explode in it the first time I used it and from the sound it made and the markings it left, I'm sure it would have blown a hole in the "flimsier" container I was first considering. I have a mixing pump in it that I simply attach a length of hose to when pumping out water for a change.

PS.
What are the glass "cages" next to your tank?