Filtration questions

JeF4y

A couple of questions about filters in a biocube29.

1. With the skimmer, the flow is restricted too much into the back to use the stock filter element, so I have it dislodged, using it only in a passive manner for its carbon. Today I am pulling it and going with small bags of carbon. I'm figuring 3 small sacks (nylons) with 1-2 tbsp of carbon in each and then pulling 1 every 2 weeks, rotating in a new one, so there won't be a big shock to the system.
(a) is 1-2 tbsp carbon in 3 bags (total 3-6 tbsp) enough? too much?
(b) is changing bi-weekly enough? too much?

2. The microbubbles from the skimmer are pushing me to insanity. I'm considering putting some filter material in the output chamber of the skimmer to trap the bubbles. I would replace this every week so that it didn't have time to create a large impact by trapping nitrates. Good idea or no?

3. There is a stock plastic type sponge in chamber 3 going into the motor. I believe this is to be a bubble diffuser. It seems pretty useless in that function. I'm concerned about how often to clean and / or replace and whether it's even needed. Can anyone comment on this?

Thank you in advance!

lcstorc

Number 1 and two sound like great ideas.
As far as #3 if it is not doing anything then go ahead and remove it and see if things change. If they don't then leave it out. If you start having issues then put it back but clean it often like the sponge.

That sponge in the third chamber is kind of a secondary filter so its not going back into the tank. I clean it every time I do a water change.