Recent content by Octoman

1. Octoman

are these copepods?

And they have quite an affinity for nacho cheese...
  2. Octoman

Tank move

An air pump will help ease stress on the fish, you can go battery operated or use a power inverter. Drive slow and carefully, leave plenty of room to stop all the time. Slamming on the brakes just once can be disastrous.
  3. Octoman

90 gallon "Show" fish mixed reef

I have a blackspot swallowtail, Genicanthus melanospilos, that actually behaves like a little angel. She is good towards her tankmates, always out in the middle, and IMO, one of the best looking fish in the tank. Granted, it is a 500g, but there are quite a few fish in there for her to mess...
  4. Octoman

Old Sand and Nitrogen Cycle

Sorry, nitrobacter is an obligate aerobe, but nitrosomonas is facultative. Talking out of my :nekid: again...
  5. Octoman

Old Sand and Nitrogen Cycle

Nitrosomonas and nitrobacter are facultative aerobes. They love oxygen, but don't need it to stay alive. That is why the purveyors of live sand and bacterial concentrates can claim 6 - 12 month shelf lives. I would suspect that you had quite a bit of nitrate reduction in your sand while it...
  6. Octoman

Moving

I'm speaking from personal experience, not "urban legend". And as I said, it depends on the depth/condition of the sand. Organic waste build-up and hydrogen sulfide can both be problematic, particularly when the sand is deep.
  7. Octoman

Help!!!!!!

Possible, but are you sure it wasn't a molt? They hide for a while afterwards until their shell hardens.
  8. Octoman

Moving

Depending on the depth/condition of your sand, you may want to change out to new sand when you move. Try not to stir it too much before you get all the rocks/water/animals out that you are taking with you. Dirty sand is an easy way to crash a tank move. Battery operated air pumps or a power...
  9. Octoman

Moving to NC from CT

I moved from GA to CT, 2 day trip, and didn't lose a thing. I used a big rubbermaid trash can with a lid, carefully removed all my rock to the trash can (always adding tank water to keep it submerged), with all my corals on top. I filled the trash can about a foot from the top and put the fish...
  10. Octoman

Bubble Tip Anemone Under PC Light ??

It will most likely die under PC lighting. Unfortunately, they can take months to starve to death so it is a slow death. I would not advise getting a clown unless you have an established anemone that is doing well. The clown will just harass an already stressed nem even more. Your animal...
  11. Octoman

Helloooooooooooooo ...

Hello there K!
  12. Octoman

Leather coral dying or molting?

Not a cabbage, but a leather sloughing none-the-less...
  13. Octoman

tank crash - how to recover

Wet skimming will help remove more organic waste from your die-off. Your fish will most likely be fine, but unfortunately as you've seen, hyposalinity is acutely toxic to inverts (which makes it a convenient treatment for external parasites on fish). Keep a close eye on water quality - watch...
  14. Octoman

Power Out!!!

You are correct, you would be blowing roughly 17% vs. 21% atmospheric O2. But you would also be blowing 4% CO2 which is much more soluble in water than O2 (~ 40x more). So the net result would be increasing the CO2 in the tank much faster than the O2.
  15. Octoman

Power Out!!!

Don't blow bubbles into the DT with a straw, that will introduce CO2 instead of O2. Any bait/tackle shops nearby? They usually open early and might keep battery powered air pumps in stock.