Moving

Chris954

hey guys so i am moving in sep. to my new place my tank been up for about 4 half months everyday i think on how am i going to move it to my place i have a 29 biocube what are the steps on moving it help

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Easy dude. Prepare first with plenty of storage buckets. One for rock. A 5 gallon for sand n multiple totes for livestock.

First u drain the water a bit to make it easier to catch the fish. Save a little. Unload rocks to a bucket n cover with moist newspapers. Remove livestock. Drain as far as u can n scoop sand.

Clean out the tank n move that dude.

Once at the new location set tank in place. (Stir the livestock water occasionally) add the sand. Add 100% new water (have ready rodi water salty to 1.026). Add water slowly into a pitcher (keeps the cloudy down). Add ur rockscape. Hopefully u had a heater in the rodi cause once ur tanks to temp u can float the livestock n acclimate normally. Don't hurry too much u break stuff but move diligently.

Just read this a half dozen times n prepare ahead. The move us easy. I've done it a dozen or more times n no deaths to date. Just remember to acclimate n keep temps n aeration u will do fine. Pm if u need. Matt

........... we cut living things into pieces. sheez

Octoman

Depending on the depth/condition of your sand, you may want to change out to new sand when you move. Try not to stir it too much before you get all the rocks/water/animals out that you are taking with you. Dirty sand is an easy way to crash a tank move.

Battery operated air pumps or a power inverter to run plug ins in the car are critical as well. You want to keep that water nice and oxygenated.

I moved my 55 full of rocks, corals, and fish in a single 45g trash can. Air pump and a heater (on an inverter), made a 2 day trip with no losses.

dmatt88

I've read this dozens of times about not disturbing the sand. Devon moved my 180 4 hrs away n we jacked with the sand. No issues. He still had snails left. Some things become urban legend.

Octoman

I'm speaking from personal experience, not "urban legend". And as I said, it depends on the depth/condition of the sand. Organic waste build-up and hydrogen sulfide can both be problematic, particularly when the sand is deep.

dmatt88

I'm speaking from personal experience, not "urban legend". And as I said, it depends on the depth/condition of the sand. Organic waste build-up and hydrogen sulfide can both be problematic, particularly when the sand is deep.

I'll buy that. As I mentioned remove the livestock before u Jack with the sand. However my tank was set up 7-8 years n mixing the sand n draining the water caused 0 issues. Actually I believe it helped a new system. Thanks for your insight.

Brandon78

Easy dude. Prepare first with plenty of storage buckets. One for rock. A 5 gallon for sand n multiple totes for livestock.

First u drain the water a bit to make it easier to catch the fish. Save a little. Unload rocks to a bucket n cover with moist newspapers. Remove livestock. Drain as far as u can n scoop sand.

Clean out the tank n move that dude.

Once at the new location set tank in place. (Stir the livestock water occasionally) add the sand. Add 100% new water (have ready rodi water salty to 1.026). Add water slowly into a pitcher (keeps the cloudy down). Add ur rockscape. Hopefully u had a heater in the rodi cause once ur tanks to temp u can float the livestock n acclimate normally. Don't hurry too much u break stuff but move diligently.

Just read this a half dozen times n prepare ahead. The move us easy. I've done it a dozen or more times n no deaths to date. Just remember to acclimate n keep temps n aeration u will do fine. Pm if u need. Matt

VERY good info Matt, I will definitely be remembering this for future reference.

dnkybllz

visit LFS, grab as many containers that they get their weekly shipment in (easiest way to transport fish, rock, etc.) drain water on top of rocks and fish, keep lively with airstone if possible. Take your time and replace with exisiting water. You don't want to do a move then add fresh water as this may be too much for everyone to bear.

reefermagic

Yup, I've moved several time and upgraded tanks several times. Lots of buckets and lots of fresh ro/di, and a little planning. You'll be good...