tank crash - how to recover

nunlef

Hi,
I had a freak tank crash about 4 days ago. I did a water change and within 24 hours, ALL the corals were closed up, and the glass was covered with (what looks like) hair algae. There is also a HORRENDOUS smell coming from the whole tank.

I tested the water, basically fine, but salinity was at 1.015+/-, obviously I mixed that wc water incorrectly.
Anyway, based on that - and the location of the algae, I'm assuming a mass pod die off. I think it may be enough to do the damage that was done. That, and my fish haven't picked at the live rock or glass since the water change. ALos, it looks like my urchin may be dead (hard to tell with that guy), and I only have 2 snails that appear to be alive.

Anyway, how do I recover from this? I have lost all the frogspawn, several blasto heads, a few duncan heads, most of my star polyps, all of my clove polyps, all of the green and yellow larger polyps (not sure if there is a real name for them, or not.) The fish all seem to be doing fine (pink spotted goby, hippo/regal tang, osc clown, and foxface). There is still a LARGE amount of algae, although "Foxy" is doing her best to help.

I have done 2 50% water changes over the past few days, and am wondering if there is anything else that may help the recovery.

Thanks!

nunlef

thanks, i added carbon tonight, hopefully i won't have any more coral loss.

funny, though. I've had phos issues, trate issues, and in a year and a half, the only livestock loss was due to low salinity. very surprising.

Jetbkk

Nunlef: I just had a very similar problem to yours a week ago -- low salinity.

I added a sump and the guy that installed it used a bit too much fresh water in filling up, i suspect and we didn't check the salt levels right away as we should have (usually my wife is the salt checker, as she does the water changes).

Well anyway, one morning we looked at the tank and something was very wrong -- a lot of the corals were closed up, and one of my anemones looked terrible. all my zoas, were closed, etc. I was pretty devastated.

The fish were happy as could be the whole time, and unlike you I had no algae problem whatsoever. The water is very clear.

In any event, I got the salt levels back up to normal over the course of a day and a week later some of the corals have recovered but I think a couple others won't.

So it just goes to show how important those salt levels are for coral.

I hope things turn around for you and you don't lose too much. Good luck!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sorry about what happened. :( Corals can sometimes have surprising regenerative powers, so hopefully it's not as bad as it seems.

Octoman

Wet skimming will help remove more organic waste from your die-off. Your fish will most likely be fine, but unfortunately as you've seen, hyposalinity is acutely toxic to inverts (which makes it a convenient treatment for external parasites on fish). Keep a close eye on water quality - watch for NH3 or NO2 spikes and water change as needed.

Ashr

Thats some bad news, sorry to hear that. I will make sure to watch this for my own tank as I am still learning lots. Hope all gets well soon