are these copepods?

reefer gladness

I just moved all my rock, corals and fish to a new tank a few days ago. Last night under the new and improved moonlights I noticed some activity on the sandbed and discovered a bunch of these critters apparently cleaning the sandbed. They seemed awfully big to be copepods though, the largest were about 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch long. Bodies are banded, they have a bunch of legs and antenna. I took this pic with a flash as they quickly hide under regular lights.

DSCN0244.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Yes Amphipods and in the right conditions some of them do get quite large (not in our tanks usually LOL) but they are generally VERY good for your tank and a natural food supply for many things in our tanks (including coral).
z0000244.gif

6a00d8341bf67c53ef0167618f994e970b-640wi

bf793b56-73e3-4ed8-976a-6fa3550e8878.png

Supergiant-amphipods--Oceanlab--University-of-Aberdeen--UK.jpg

Now what gets really big and gnarly would be some Isopods of the genus "Bathynomus" and specifically Bathynomus giganteus
the-giant-isopod-is-gross.jpg

the-nastiest-creature-giant-isopod.jpg

giant-isopod-bathynomus-giganteus.jpg

Fortunately we don't get those in our tanks or at least they don't get that large and actually they are VERY deep water living organisms.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think I saw this guy in a couple different movies....once whooping up on Arnold Schwarzenegger and another time Danny Glover,but they both kicked his butt :lol:

It's funny how several "Sea Critters" have had starring roles in Hollywood movies. The movie ( think there were a couple of them) Tremors was possibly based on a giant "Eunicid Worm" which are occasionally found in our tanks as well. Unfortunately many of these have a nasty bite which is not only painful but due to some mild neurotoxins can cause long-term numbness in the bite area.

Here's an eye to eye-spot look at one up close
article-1165930-03F7CCDE000005DC-686_468x332.jpg

Here is one found in a tank on Oregon a few years back
p_069_s.jpg

Willie McDaries

:lol: yep,a lot of people don't realize that those aliens on TV are actually based on real live Earthly creatures.....of course those sea creatures could possible be aliens,there have been sightings of UFOs diving into the ocean :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
:lol: yep,a lot of people don't realize that those aliens on TV are actually based on real live Earthly creatures.....of course those sea creatures could possible be aliens,there have been sightings of UFOs diving into the ocean :D

That was actually ME! Because of my large "stature" I tend to make a big splash and people either think it's a UFO crashing or a whale splashing around in the ocean :)

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
That was actually ME! Because of my large "stature" I tend to make a big splash and people either think it's a UFO crashing or a whale splashing around in the ocean :)

Hence the big in BigAl

..........I live my life as a warning to others.