Tank move

saltfan

Well got a job offer that I cant refuse, so gonna be moving. Its about 4 hrs to the new place. I have a RSM 130 with a inventory of 5 fish 20lbs of LR 1 anemone and some zoas. How should I do it? Any ideas? will all survive?
Thanks.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Just plan it out..... Buckets, new water etc. you might want to reacclimate your fish and corals once the tank is up. How old is your tank? Might be worth replacing the sand if it is older (2 plus years)

jjmoneyman

RS Sponsor
And plan on getting more buckets than you think you'll need. Be sure they have lids because the water will be slopping around during the drive. I did it with 35 gallon garbage cans and it worked out fine.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Its easy. Plan ahead n acclimate accordingly.

..........I live my life as a warning to others.

Octoman

An air pump will help ease stress on the fish, you can go battery operated or use a power inverter. Drive slow and carefully, leave plenty of room to stop all the time. Slamming on the brakes just once can be disastrous.

oneate7

I would consider bagging the fish in a bucket filled with water. With all the jostling around, the bags might offer some padding to keep the fish from slamming into the sides of the bucket. I don't know that it'd be any more violent than an actual reef... just a precaution I would take.

dmatt88

Fish won't slam in a bucket. There is more water volume in a cooler or bucket. Don't b surprised if they go into lay on the bottom or panting mode.

saltfan

Well the move is this weekend. Gonna load the truck with everything but the tank on Friday then the tank 1st thing sat. morning and hit the road. I am going from Gig Harbor Wa. to Kennewick Wa. 4hrs. by car but I figure about 6 in the uhaul towing my Porsche on auto transport. UGG!! This is how the tank looks today hope its close to this and all survives after we land.
RSM130024.jpg

RSM130023.jpg

RSM130025.jpg

dmatt88

Tank looks sweet. Take the time n run the tank move through your mind every day til u move. Id grab a few air pumps for livestock they will need air with that much time outta the tank.

Tru2nr

+1 get air pumps and styro boxes

...Food, beer, salt needed can only afford two...i'll buy food next week i'm a reefaholic

saltfan

Well we made it! Rolled in yesterday it took 6 hrs. I went with using buckets. Tank has been running for about 24hrs. and all seems well. Was a bit scary at first, water temps in the buckets dropped to 73 from 78, and fish were pretty pale. Was able to save damn near all the water so just put it all back and let the heater bring back to 78. Will let acclimate a couple days and do a 10% water change and re-scape. And all 5 fish ate well today. Will posts pics in a couple days.

Last edited: