Moving to NC from CT

daz3on3r

Hey everyone im moving to raleigh,nc from ct in a couple of days ,i have a 46g bow front and moving is getting confusing can anyone help me with advice in the best way to move my tank fish waterand corals? should i leave anything behind, do i av to bring my old water should i get new sand arggghh...im pretty new in this hobby so be nice....tx

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Under the Search box - click on Advanced Search - search for keyword "Moving" In Titles Only... you will get lots of hits & some great insight

Robzilla

BUCKETS! You cannot have enough 5 Gal buckets with lids. I got more than I thought I would need when I moved and barely had enough in the end. See if you can get plastic bags from your local fish store and transport them in a styrofoam cooler. Make sure each fish bag is half filled with air so they do not suffocate. You may want to include heat packs to maintain temperature. Make sure your tank is sitting on enough padding as well.

Write out every step of the take down and every step of the set up and make sure you know it inside and out. You will want this to be as fast as possible and it will take much longer than you think it will.

Let us know what other concerns you might have.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Welcome to ReefSanctuary and North Carolina :D

I would bag/box the fish and corals as if you were shipping them - double bagged with 02 (or kordon breathing bags) in large insulated boxes (or coolers) with a heat pack(s) tapped to the top.
Only keep a portion of your live sand... maybe 1/3 of it and use put it on TOP of new sand when you set up the tank.
Keep the rock and sand submerged in water with a strong airstone & heater (or 70-80deg ambient room temp) during transit.
Don't worry about keeping old water... the rock and sand will harbor enough bacteria.
Feed lightly for 2-3 weeks and use an ammonia alert badge.

Drop by and visit once you get settled in! :)

Octoman

I moved from GA to CT, 2 day trip, and didn't lose a thing. I used a big rubbermaid trash can with a lid, carefully removed all my rock to the trash can (always adding tank water to keep it submerged), with all my corals on top. I filled the trash can about a foot from the top and put the fish in. I used a power inverter to run an air pump and a heater all the time and carried a big extension cord to plug them in for the overnight stop.

I did not reuse my sand.

I was driving a big moving truck and the trash can fit right between the front seats.