Zvejkuse's new RSM 250 tank

Zvejkus

If you go with the NP pellets let us know how they work. Interesting new way to reduce nitrates.

Sure I will let you know, Terry. But I can tell you, that I have lot of positive experiences from our fellow reefers and didnt heard any negative.

Well, but first I will have to repair my skimmer and the most important thing is to stabilize the kH/Alk in my tank. Dont know why, but it does not want to go into good values. It stays on 12, even if my Ca(370) and Mg(1400) went up and change of 10% of water. Dont know how to get it down a bit.

Zvejkus

Today I added another two measures of Ca, increase to 380. But when I checked kH/Alk, it went up a bit again, it is on 13 right now. Really dont know why it happens and how to get my alk back on track.

EDIT: Update, Tropic Marine definitely raises Ca and kH at once. There are included both chemicals. So if you have just lowered Ca, do not use it.

Last edited:

reeferman

thanks for the update.you may want to try another calc additive.Turbo Calcium will definitely raise calc and bring kh down.

Zvejkus

They do that, cause want to make balance between these two things. But when one of these values is not like in normal shape(i lose Ca cause of halimeda algae), then it will make your water parameters totally unstable.

I got answer to my question, how to solve that. I should change my water each other day for three or four times and it should return to normal.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
When I think about this I was reminded that I once tried using Red Sea Kalk - a Ca/Alk additive that is a one dose powder product that is dissolved in water before adding. I found the same type result - when I had my Ca where I wanted it my Alk was too high. It may make more sense to go to a 2-part and just dose for Ca till you get both Ca and Alk where you want it, then dose equal amounts after that?

Zvejkus

When I think about this I was reminded that I once tried using Red Sea Kalk - a Ca/Alk additive that is a one dose powder product that is dissolved in water before adding. I found the same type result - when I had my Ca where I wanted it my Alk was too high. It may make more sense to go to a 2-part and just dose for Ca till you get both Ca and Alk where you want it, then dose equal amounts after that?

Hello Terry,

I think I will change water today and will add my Red Sea Calcium, which does not affect kh(it is written on red sea webpages and on the bottle). And will check the kH, if it is going down. When my values will be ok and stable, I start to dose the same Tropic Marine product.

reeferman

is the tropic marine a powder?i assumed it was liquid.thats why i said i had never heard of a calc/alk additive in one.if its powder,that makes a lot more sense now!:smack:

Zvejkus

I do not want to have just problems in my topic, so I decided to post some underwater pictures from my holidays in Egypt. Hope you will like it and I will be not so much off-topic.

p7240075.jpg

p7240088.jpg

p7240091s.jpg

p7270058.jpg

p7270061.jpg

Zvejkus

Thanks for your words. My wife is always yelling, that I made about 200 pictures of fishes and just 5 of our family. :-D

Steve: The clowns were this year posing like models. I got many pics of them, i love clownfishes. Unfortunately, A. bicinctus is too big clownfish for my RSM.

Your welcome.

I love diving; best way of getting some great underwater photos, once you’ve mastered your buoyancy. I’m getting their.

Zvejkus

Hello Lain, thanks for your words. Doing my best. ;)

My diving skills are not good Steve, so I like to snorkling. Fortunately in Red sea is lot of fishes and corals visible without diving equipment. I saw also octopuses, rays, murene, lionfishes and lot more.