Zvejkuse's new RSM 250 tank

Zvejkus

Hello all fellow reefers.

I am new here on this forum, so hope to add pics of my tank and description right.

I bought RSM250 at local reseller in September 2009. It is my first marine aquarium ever. Till now, I am using the original equipment except external filtration(canister Tetra phosex/zeolit filter, cooler and UV lamp). But I am starting to think about upgrade, cause not everything is going as I want. Especially acroporas are not looking very good I think. And also need to get rid of algae. :rollingey If anyone can help me with the acros, I will be thankfull.

Best regards

Zdenek

Here are some pictures of my tank:
img4158b.jpg

img4155b.jpg

img4126b.jpg

img4133b.jpg

img4128b.jpg

img4137b.jpg

img4139b.jpg

img4140b.jpg

img4142b.jpg

img4143b.jpg

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Zdenek - Welcome to Reef Sanctuary and the RSM Club! Your 250 is beautiful! Have you replaced the T5 bulbs with new ones yet - if not, maybe light intensity has dropped, and the color spectrum has changed, and is causing the algae and Acro issues? Just a guess. Welcome to the crew!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary and RSM Club, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

+1 to Terry (reefmack) advise above ^

I think you acroporas look Lovely ! If they at one time looked better... new bulbs may help - the only thing else that comes to mind... is your external filtration, how long have you been running it? Could it possible cause any water issues?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good point by Glenn. Your Acros look fine to me. Why do you think you're having a problem with them? Are they not growing as fast as you would like?

Zvejkus

Hello all, really thank you for so warm welcome.

Reefmack, I have my T5s for about 8 months in use. They are original red sea ones. Time to time I clean the acrylic cover. But I plan to remove them and replace with ATI bulbs. I thought about 3 actinic or blue ones, 1 ati color plus and 2 ati aquablue special(whites).

To the second question. My acroporas, except two or three with small polyps, open polyps just a bit. I saw the same acros on my local marine life reseller and his acros have twice or more opened polyps in his display tank(about 700G). Maybe it is cause of my flow or that are irritated by my yellow goby, I don't know.

nanoreefing4fun, the external filtration is just canister filter with zeolit and phosex, regularly changed. Then UV lamp(currently turned off) and cooler. But you are right, that external circle is not very invented by Red Sea, so I will have to make any upgrade. I just looked on some pages of peoples topics here on reef sanctuary and will have to read all of them. Didnt know before, what for charms people can do with RSM. :)

Dweezil

Wow....well first Welcome to RS! and then....wow..that is a beautiful tank.
You have some gorgeous corals in there. :)

dhorsten

Zdenek - Welcome to RS you have a really nice looking tank. Is the skimmer a stock RSM skimmer as well as all the pumps and heater?

I recently got a RSM 250 and I am loving it. If I could have a tank looking like yours with a standard RSM 250 I will be more than happy.

reeferman

hello and welcome!great looking tank!your polyp extension is all that i see wrong with the acros.what are your params?have you given them a close inspection to see if they have red bugs?acros affected by red bugs wont have very much polyp extension and fading color.they look like tiny little red bugs[go figure huh!]easy to see with a magnifying glass.heres a link about them
Melevsreef.com - Interceptor | Red Bug treatment

Zvejkus

Zdenek - Welcome to RS you have a really nice looking tank. Is the skimmer a stock RSM skimmer as well as all the pumps and heater?

I recently got a RSM 250 and I am loving it. If I could have a tank looking like yours with a standard RSM 250 I will be more than happy.

Thank you very much for your words.

Yes, except the external phosex/zeolit filter and cooler it is all original red sea equipment. Just added two Koralia pumps(3600lph and 5000lph). The pump on the right was just tested, its Resun wavemaker(up to 15000lph), but it looks, that it is too strong for my tank.