ZEOvit System

blue_eyes53813

Ahh I see.. Well Im sure with all of his knowledge and IF he did have a tank it would be a very nice set up. Zeovit city.

mps9506

Boomer thanks for the info about the zeolite. That definitely addresses one of my questions/concerns that I had never bothered to ask about or read more in-depth about.

My other concern/question is regarding the use of amino acids to feed the corals in the nutrient poor conditions. Obviously this has been working but I recall mention of amino acids not being stable very long in SW, and the ability of corals to actually utilize these amino acids, or am I misunderstanding the use of the amino acids? Do you have any input/info on that?

Thanks

kathywithbirds

Hey Boomer, this is the link I got that quote from.

New Page 1

And thanks, I think I misread, I thought youo had to choose one of the four.

Kathy

mix of Zeoliths consists of four different Zeoliths chosen because of their ability to reduce certain toxins in a balanced way

I have seen no evidence of this in any way. And would ask what toxins ? More than likely it is the strain of bacteria that fix to zeolite x, y or z better and not the zeolite doing any toxin removal. Or maybe it is part of that bacterial by-product release, if any, that allows the same strain to remove x, y and z form the system and where it can not be done using just one zeolite. What ever it is they seem to work, which is the real issue. I'm sure Alexander will help you out more as to the whys maybe. You use all 4 of them in the system and it is not a choice of 4 to choose from.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
I know is was just a misread Kathy

No Mike not really many are using or adding Amino's to their tanks as you know. But with that said they will more stable in SW than say FW. That is the main reason really why skimmer works in SW. It is the orgaincs just don't go into solution/ dissolve as easily as in FW. As far as amino's goes, when it comes to salt, it is more of added amino's to a dry salt mix and selling it that way. In such an harsh enviroment they will be brake down fast and be almost useless.

Some help for you;

Organic Compounds in the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

What is Skimming? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

boozeman

The italian reefers using the blue coral method introduce amino acids to induce a feeding response in the corals before feeding the papone. Amino acids are useful for this purpose.

mps9506

I know is was just a misread Kathy

No Mike not really many are using or adding Amino's to their tanks as you know. But with that said they will more stable in SW than say FW. That is the main reason really why skimmer works in SW.

:smack:
Thank you. Sometimes I don't think before I type.

I never really read this one before, Organic Compounds in the Reef Aquarium by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Another example is aspartic acid (a natural amino acid). It is readily taken up by certain corals, which rapidly incorporate it into proteins that may play an important role in calcification.12 The relationship between certain amino acids and calcification in corals was briefly mentioned in a previous article on the mechanism of calcification and will be discussed in detail in a future article.

Interestingly, the apparently large need for a particular amino acid (aspartic acid) to synthesize these proteins is satisfied by external sources, rather than by either the coral itself or its zooxanthellae. For this reason, some aquarists add aspartic acid, or commercial preparations containing it, to their aquaria. Whether there is a clear benefit to that addition remains to be established.

Quite interesting.
I'm off to do some more digging and reading. Thanks for the help.

G.Alexander

How do you like the KZ skimmer so far? did you modify the venturi?
do you use any suplemental feeding of corals other than the mulm which acumulates on the clinoptilotite?

btw, RS members, zeo products are sold by sponsor Aquariumspecialty ...in case anyone is feeling adventuresome :D

Hi booz, beside the bacteria mulm (plankton) two additional foods are used: AminoAcids & a product which contains fatty acids as one of its ingredients (Coral Vitalizer). Both are used on a daily basis.

G.Alexander

G.Alexander

Thought it would be a good idea to post this nice picture showing a zeolite with (right) and without (left) bacteria colonisation. As much as I remember the zeolite on the right side was kept in water for about 4 weeks. Both are the same material.

Zeo_14t.gif

G.Alexander

G.Alexander

mix of Zeoliths consists of four different Zeoliths chosen because of their ability to reduce certain toxins in a balanced way. -- from an article by Alexander

SO... there's 4 media to choose from. Does this mean you must know which one to choose or is there some sort of guide to help you choose the right one? This could be a little daunting for us chemistry doofuses.

Also, does this mean I cannot keep a few ornamental strands or caulerpa in the DT?
I'm also curious about how the keeping and feeding of fish in a zeovit tank compared to not keeping fish. FOr instance, would this change the media I might use or necessitate more frequent changing of media or a different dosing schedule?
How about keeping a mixed tank, softies, Lps and sps?

Thanks for answering my questions, I'm sure they're seriously novice questions for you guys.

Hi Kathy, there are different kind of zeolites used which also have different sizes. All are already mixed together and the mixture is called zeovit.

I know from my tank and other zeovit tanks Caluerpa reacomosa for example is doing fine even if there are no detectable NO3 or PO4. I assume that the PO4 and NO3 concentrations in healthy coral reefs are not much different. There where experiments done to isolate parts of a natural reef so no herbivore where able to reach the surface. Within a relative short time several algae began to grow while the area next to the isolation had absolute no algae. IMO a very interesting experiment.

Fish feeding is the same as in every other tank. I feed my fish daily adequate but I stop current while dosing this to prevent drifting food in the rockwork etc. Regarding the dosage there are many variables. Let me say a heavy overstocked tank with a lot of fish will need a different dosage than a SPS system which does already runs nutrient poor stabile.

With my experience Softies & LPS as well clams for example are doing very fine in such a environment.

G.Alexander

G.Alexander

Boomer said:
Some feel such system are artificial and do not like them. So, It is all a choice. So, in this frame it is what the reefer wants and not really what some else may say or want. And many things in this hobby are 100 % pure choice. There are a number of tanks on forums that have been tanks of the month that look like similar to Alexander's and do not use such systems.

Have to agree where with Boomer, there are many ways to run a successful, healthy, colourful SPS system. Personally I see the zeovit system as a very interesting and helpful tool to archive such results.

Also nobody should expect if he adds those products to his tank his coral will start to shine just with the addition. Good husbandry and a good feeling for the corals beside the “tool” zeovit is IMO the key to run the system successful.

G.Alexander

G.Alexander

mps9506 said:
My other concern/question is regarding the use of amino acids to feed the corals in the nutrient poor conditions. Obviously this has been working but I recall mention of amino acids not being stable very long in SW, and the ability of corals to actually utilize these amino acids, or am I misunderstanding the use of the amino acids? Do you have any input/info on that?

Hi Mike, it was often claimed that amino acids breakdown quick in saltwater, also that they can not be absorbed by corals directly from the water column. I know those discussions since such products are offered commercial. I can not give you scientific data to this but I know tests where done and published to prove the opposite. From the practical view I can say dosing the right amino acids in a adequate quantity has a positive impact to colouration and growth in a nutrient poor system.

G.Alexander

kathywithbirds

Thank you for the valuable info, Alexander and RS-ers. This might be worth experimenting with in the future for me, I'd like to try different ways of maintaining a tank.

Q: Any opinions on what might be the most "close to nature" method?

Boomer

Alexander

Thanks for those pics of the zeolites :D WOW ! that stuff you guys are using has some really big "holes". You can even seen the screen mount matting through them. Very easy for bacter's to colonize that stuff. Do all 4 kinds look like this or do the others have smaller to medium openings ?

I assume that the PO4 and NO3 concentrations in healthy coral reefs are not much different.

They range around 0.1 - 0.3 mg / l for N as NO3- and P as PO4- ~0.01 0.005 mg / l depending. They can be higher or lower there are lots of variables. At times they can be almost zero or even close 1 mg/l.

Kathy & Alexander

Even if one detects zero, of either, it is really not a true sign they are being limited. As many organisms can extract them from the water column as fast as they enter, thus zero. Don't forget their "roots" are also taking it up.

Boomer

Mike

Lisa M. FITZGERALD

:lol: She use to be a friend of mine when she was working on her Ph.D, which was on Amino acid receptors in scleractinian corals. She was a grad student at the time at the U of Miami, Rosenstiel School fo Marine and Atmospheric Science. This was back in the 90's. I lost contact with here long ago. They use to have a magazine out called Sea Frontiers and grad students were required to answer question by writting or on the phone. Many hrs I had with Liza. Se went to some eastern U to study the same in fish.

Liza had a couple of pubs in the late 90's and then seemed to vanish. I have never been able to track her down. She was lots of fun. You are the second one that has linked her paper this year :D The other was Mesocosm on our RC chem forum.