Zak's RSM250

zak786

Re: My RSM 250 after 7 weeks...

What about a scooter or lawnmower Blenny for my algae ? Or a yellow tang with a Kole together ? They work good together ?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

My scooter blenny is not an algae eater that I know of.. but the Emerald (Mithrax) ate on it non-stop :)

just remember... it's a new tank phase though... tanks less tham 3 month or so... and the hair algae is eating & using up silicates, so go slow & know it will go away with time & small steps, you are doing all the right things...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

zak - the name brand Chemi-pure Elite - is one product, in one bag... it contains - carbon & gfo

You want to run fresh carbon & the rowaphos that should = the Chemi-pure Elite

Hope that makes since :)

You can run the stock RSM carbon & rowaphos - just change the stock RSM carbon every two months.

zak786

Thanks ... I get it finally :) The chemi-pure sounds good all in one bag.... Dont know if we have anything like this there...

So I wil go for the stock RSM250 carbon and keep going with the Rowaphos. I will buy some new carbon now then I guess....

Do I need to put both bags of the stock carbon in the RSM 250 as I heard many people just use the one bag and it does the job ?

zak - the name brand Chemi-pure Elite - is one product, in one bag... it contains - carbon & gfo

You want to run fresh carbon & the rowaphos that should = the Chemi-pure Elite

Hope that makes since :)

You can run the stock RSM carbon & rowaphos - just change the stock RSM carbon every two months.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Zak - Glenn meant Phosphate remover - as with the Rowaphos you have. I'd recommend replacing regular carbon every 4 - 6 weeks at most. It's only efficient that long or less, and if you leave it in too long it will become a bio-media and generate nitrates.

My lawnmower blenny never touched hair algae when I had a little. He chomps at green film algae on the sides, and eats anything else I put in the tank, but very seldom would eat any HA. Every fish is different, and they all haven't read the book about what they're supposed to do!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Carbon is cheap & BigAl is always talking about what a job carbon does... I am a BIG believer in it

Run carbon - run fresh carbon - change frequently - at least every 2 months -

Run both bags in a 250 for sure... that what RSM advises & what comes with the initial setup correct?

zak786

Thanks Terry and Glen for the great advice. I will replace the carbon immediately then.

Any advice on feeding the coral beauty ?

as per below ?

I am worried about the coral beauty not feeding too well... I saw her feed in the LFS before buying....

We are feeding New Era pellets it has a nibble but them lets it sink...is it getting its food off the overgrown algae in the tank ?

Should I be worried ? She has been in there for just 3 days....

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

I forgot - on the coral beauty not feeding well, wait a bit more. A lot of fish may not eat for a few days after being put in a new tank. It's fairly common and has happened with a few of mine. My Flame Angel (a dwarf angel like the coral beauty) ate barely anything for a few days and now is a real hog. If it doesn't improve soon try another food or some flake or frozen mysis. They all like variety anyway.

Maybe the pellets are too big?

zak786

Yes thats correct...

nanoreefing4fun;694818 Run [U said:
both bags[/U] in a 250 for sure... that what RSM advises & what comes with the initial setup correct?

websurfer

ok good point websurfer...

I will get a couple of Mithrax I think tomorrow.... thanks

What do you mean he went crazy I was thnking about getting one ?

Is it a bad idea ?

He had all the of my fish locked up in the corner
He was fine for weeks then one day went crazy

I thought it might have been because he ran out of algae to eat

Like i said he was doing major work
take a look at my tank pics

you dont see any algae

the day after i took him out you see it all over the place
I still cant figure out how it went so crazy

I did drop some food in the tank but still cant understand how it went that crazy

I will post some pics of what it looks like now a little later
3 days after i removed him

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

add two (2) new bags of carbon, keep running the rowaphos & add two (2) emerald crabs & give it one month & you should have the angle hair whipped :)

zak786

ok thanks ... actually my 13 year old son (who already knows all the latin names of so many corals and fish was pointing out fish and corals and their characteristics in our LFS so much so that they offered him a job :D) said we should try some flake or frozen mysis too :)

I guess I will wait and see ...when should I start to worry if its still not feeding ?

I forgot - on the coral beauty not feeding well, wait a bit more. A lot of fish may not eat for a few days after being put in a new tank. It's fairly common and has happened with a few of mine. My Flame Angel (a dwarf angel like the coral beauty) ate barely anything for a few days and now is a real hog. If it doesn't improve soon try another food or some flake or frozen mysis. They all like variety anyway.

Maybe the pellets are too big?

zak786

Thanks websurfer..will be interested to see your "after" pics too...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

My emerald is well behaved... but I only have 1 & only have a 130D & he is always under my review & watch lol as... he could be banned, but so far in four months he has not given me reason to banish him & he cleaned out all my angle hair in 1 week :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

one last reminder... & key... don't overfeed... :)

I have to tell myself this everyday... I am the only one in our home that feeds the fish & they always look & act like they are starving & want more more more... if you have more than one person that feeds the fish... it will take real effort... to coordinate,,, who feeds today & real discipline... to not feed to much...

I am working on all that too & I am the only one to blame
1183.gif

zak786

Yup hearing you loud and clear....I know its easy to do this... My son feeds the fish but he is really careful and never overfeeds. He looked after a freshwater tropical tank for a time before this tank so knows the probs with overfeeding...actually right now am worried about the fish feeding at all :(

Just been reading your tank thread....really interesting read...

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

Cool that you & your son have a father/son hobby ! Glad you are enjoying my tank thread... most everything I have told you in this thread, I learned from the RS members that helped me :)