You're Beautiful, Its true

SecretAgent

P8080015.jpg

P8080014.jpg

P8080008.jpg

P8030234.jpg

P8080100.jpg

SecretAgent

Hey Eric......Would this be considered an algae screen of sorts?
Its a hang on back I use for kind of a refugium for pods to grow in. Where the water falls from the filter, there is algae or sponge or something that grows at the flow area. I can pull it off when it gets to be too much for the filter to run properly, but it always grows back and fast, within 2 weeks

P8100157.jpg

P8100159.jpg

P8100158.jpg

SecretAgent

Hey Vic, I do believe the one you just got is as beautiful as the Achilles. The Tennenti Tang will be the next one on my list

greneis7

Your tanks are awesome! I hope you do not have a tv in that room because you would so NOT need one with all that coral and fisheeeez to look at. =)

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
You should fill out my little 15 gallon :)

That dam near is an ATS :D would server the same purpose if you cleaned it weekly

SecretAgent

Hey Jen, I can frag you some if you want. I dont mind sharing...

Goes for you too Eric. What ya want for your 15g?

Ha Ha Eric, I DO clean it but it grows so dang quick that its hard to keep up with sometimes. The tangs nip on it, thats why its not growing into the water. I also see my Sally LF crab actually climbing out of the water to get to the part thats right at the mouth of the filter. I tripped out when I seen that crab hanging on for dear life while fighting the current of the fall of the water trying to pick whatever it was after

But I thought the idea behind an ATF was to have algae there so thats where it grows and no where else? When the algae cuts the flow thats when I pull it off and make sure I leave some pieces so its encouraged to grow there for whatever critters feed off it. That filter is loaded with pods. When I seeded my 20g I just took the filter out (no carbon is used, just the filter sleeve) and knocked out some pods and stuff into a cup, run it through a strainer to get any dirty junk out so it wouldnt go in with them, and dumped the pods left behind in the strainer into the the tank.

This 20g has so many bugs and pods it looks like the sandbed is crawling

SecretAgent

Hey Jen, there is a 52" plasma in this room, and it stays on 24/7 but it doesnt get watched much unless NCIS, Criminal minds, Vegas, Cold case, The Closer or Psych is on. Other than that, every eye in the house is on the tanks. I like it on for the noise. The TV is on the wall opposite the tank and the clown fish would burrow a hole right in front of the tank and be laying there and I swear it would be looking at the TV too. Now its got a sebae to lay in thats settled right where it used to dig this hole.

When Im doing something with my tank sump in the computer room at night when lights go out, I can see the reflection of the TV in the 125, so I can know whats going on with one of the shows I watch and be playing around the tank at the same time.

SecretAgent

Oh man, close up shots are good to have. I just seen an aiptasia the peppermints missed. Guess its time to nuke it with the pickling lime. I cant believe anyone would buy that expensive other stuff and spend the ridiculous amount of money when pickling lime works so much better and is cheaper. If you notice on one of the shots of the tank with the Achillies in it, a rock on the left that looks bare, whitish, thats where I covered the slope in pickling lime cause there was turf algae growing and the turbo had not been to that rock yet and it killed it off just leaving the lime on that spot for 30 minutes. That deep red turf algae turns green when lime is applied, then it dies. I syphone the stuff off after 30 minutes, so it isnt like its staying in the tank. I put a thick layer of the lime on whatever I want gone.....I even use it to control that GSP to keep it from overtaking the tank.

SecretAgent

dang, what happened to some of my pics? Now I dont remember what was there to replace them. Wait, I do remember one......POTM for Aug is missing.....here it is

LPS.jpg

Pipe Organ

pipeorgan.jpg

P8090030.jpg

StripedCandy.jpg

greneis7

I can't believe you did that to your hottub! Lol, but I love the pond. I would love a frag of the mystery coral!
I was staring at my tank again last night and noticed a bunch of new little growths on my GSP; I know it won't be for quite some time, but the thought of fragging anything scares the S&*# out of me! BlakeJohn on here doesn't live that far from me, I might have to beg him to help me the first time. =)

SecretAgent

LOL Jen! Believe me Gurl, they appreciate the fraging. They always take off in growth when they get some size on them and then are fraged. You gotta watch the GSP. It will take over ya tank if its not controlled. Thats why I use the pickling lime, to stop it in its tracks before its about to grow over something. If you look at the pic with the GSP on the left, you can see a bare spot also where the SPS is glued in the middle of all the GSP....I keep it from growing onto the frag plug and eventually over the SPS causing it to choke the SPS by laying a thick layer of the lime on the GSP to kill that part off to keep it from spreading to the SPS. Have never had the lime affect anything whatsoever no matter how much I used or whether I syhoned it off or not afterwards. It eventually breaks down and will kind of resemble that money plant algae when its white and dead and then its taken out through the overflow. Hermits will pick at it and help it along out the overflow

SecretAgent

Ha Vic....Prolly a sting ray tank....=)~

The hot tub worked all of one time when I moved here. Was told it would cost 500.00 to fix it, and, well, I just couldnt see myself doing that. I dont like just sitting in any water (why I take showers and not baths) and when I looked all of a minute I seen a pond coming to life in my vision. If I was about to spend 500 on anything, it would be for rocks, filters, pumps, fish and what ever else it took to get a pond going out of that shell. Certainly didnt want a broke down hot tub just sitting, so it needed a use and not for its intended purpose. I never was a hot tub kind of person.Wasnt going to take it out either cause then there would be a big hole in the deck where it sat, so, a fancy tail/koi pond was born. I harvested moss from my back yard and put on the sides to cover some of that blue. One of these days I will get some Tennessee flat rock and go along the edges to cover it better, THEN I will mix me some moss in a blender with buttermilk and paint the rocks with the slurry and a tight mass of moss will grow.

Im about to post a pic that is freaky.....

SecretAgent

Ok, before I show you guys this freaky pic, Ive got to show you others.

I planted Ice Cream Banana plants this spring. The bananas are supposed to taste like vanilla. Just had to show these off cause they arent in the other pics of the hot tub pond

These steps lead to the pond which is to the left

P8110196.jpg

Now, every year, I go to petsmart and buy 4 to 6 fancy tail gold fish and I use the 15 and 45g pop up ponds to grow them out big enough that they will survive the bigger pond a year to a year and a half after I get them.

Last year I also bought a marbled crayfish. I used to have a 150g freshwater tank downstairs in the play room that housed the crayfish along with 10 different kinds of fish, but sold it cause I just didnt want fresh water anything inside, all of those are designated outdoors. When I sold the 150, it had bunches of crayfish because every one of them are born female and you can imagine how many one could acquire in a very short time with them all having babies

All you need is ONE of these things, crayfish that is, and one is all I bought but that one turned into hundreds. I was giving them away like mad and puting them in the pond as they multiplies. So the guy that bought this 150 from me took all the fish and crayfish with him but one little crayfish

So this one little crayfish that I kept, I put it in the 45g pop up pond and it began to grow, and it began to have babies like crazy

Well, if you dont keep a crayfish well fed, it WILL eat the slower, smaller and weaker fish that may be in its reach.

We all know Pet Smart is pretty famous for having less than healthy conditions for fish. Ive gotten pretty lucky with the fish I usually buy, but this year, I bought 4 fancy tails and one other type goldfish I forgot what kind it is. Well, eventually all but this one fish either died or the crayfish got them. I suspect the crayfish ate them despite the fact that they are so well fed. They are the garbage guys anyway, so maybe the fish died and the crayfish was just doing what they do best.

Whatever the case, I had to cull out the bigger crayfish from the two ponds to throw into the bigger pond because their numbers was increasing.

One day, I was checking things in the 45g pond and all of a sudden I seen the one fish that was left SCURRYING like a mad dog around the edge of the pond. I couldnt see what its problem was at first, but then when I looked harder, one of those danged crayfish had the poor little guy by the tail. The crayfish was smaller than the fish, but it had hold of its tail and wouldnt let go. I had to thump him off the fishs tail

Well, that didnt do any harm to the tail, but one day I go out there to monitor these things to see if it had happened again and this is what I found.......

P8110193.jpg

HALF A FISH!! Have you ever seen half a fish swimming around and surviving? That was the trippinest thing I ever seen

P8110192.jpg

the culprit...

P8110190.jpg

P8110195.jpg