You have $300 to spend, what would you buy?

DeepBlue

Ok, I know this could be dangerous, but I am putting you in charge of spending a little money for me! This should be interesting.

I have budgeted ~$300 to spend this week for my reef tank. Now there are some items I want to get and know that I need. I just want to prioritize the items. A little information first:

1) I currently use a tap water filter for my makeup water and top offs. I was just doing this until I can get a RO/DI system. As you may know, the replacement filters for the tap water filters are pretty expensive and you only get 25 gallons out of each filter. It runs roughly $.90 per gallon to use this filter.

2) I currently use a SeaClone 100 skimmer which has been pretty efficient producing a cup of skimate each day on average. However, I know I can get more out of the tank. Plus, in the near future, I will be upgrading to a 90 or 120 gallon display tank with the 38 bowfront joined into one system. I am looking at an ASM skimmer that will be able to handle the load of the future system.

3) I currently have a Powersweep Power head for water movement that works ok right now, have to clean often though to make work properly. Also have a smaller MaxiJet behind the rocks to move the water around the back. I am looking at getting 2 - Tunze Nano-Stream 6025's to replace the Powersweep.

4) Currently, I do not have a UV filter, but I really want to add one on to help keep the water crystal clear.

5) I also want to add on a refugium to my sump. I would however have to build a new stand to accomodate the space needs for this. I would rather wait on building a new stand until I have the new display tank so I can build the stand for both tanks to sit on as one unit.

If it was your $300, which would you buy first?

A) RO/DI from the filter guys?

B) An ASM G3 skimmer?

C) The Tunze Nano Streams?

D) A UV Filter?

E) Upgrading the Sump with refugium and build a new stand?

If this goes well, I will have you spend more of my money in the future! I may not know what I am asking for here.....:stars:

Cougra

For me it's a toss up between the Skimmer and the RO/DI unit.

Check E-bay for a good RO/DI unit. It should only cost about $100 for a 75-100 Gal unit and get a TDS meter to go with it (~$20).
http://search.ebay.com/RO-DI_W0QQfromZR40QQsatitleZROQ2fDI

With just a little extra you could get both the skimmer and the RO/DI unit from e-bay (I know I'm conveniently forgetting aobut taxes and shipping.)

DeepBlue

Thanks for the link Snelly, that is a great deal. Better than I have found around. No shipping charges!

Thank you for the link Cougra, that is also a pretty good deal. I just seem to trust the filter guys a bit more though and the service they provide. Willing to pay a little more for that.

bluespotjawfish

RO/DI unit from the Filter Guys, I just got one - it's great. You are spending this much money anyway, so this really isn't costing you, it will save you money and ensure better water quality. You should have money left for powerheads. I also just upgraded my skimmer with an ASM skimmer - love it! My other one did ok too, but... Anyway, I got the G-2 for my 125 gallon tank (space limitations). A G-2 is rated at 200 gallons, so a G-3 is overkill for your existing tank, and you said the existing one does ok, so I would hold off until you are closer to your upgrade.

Have fun spending your money, better get a part time job for the upgrade! :dryer: :dryer: :dryer:

pmac90

I vote RO... I actually bought one of the units that Cougra linked up. awesome unit and price! and with a little extra cash to put towards a nanostream... I say if your current skimmer skims anyway.
have fun!!

lcstorc

I loke Cougra am torn between the skimmer and the ro/di filter. Perhaps you can squeeze out just a few more dollars and get both. That would be ideal. Just make sure the skimmer will fit in your existing sump/ Maybe get one this week and the other next week. That could at leaset spread it out a bit.
Both are extremely important for your reef.

DeepBlue

Seeing as it appears to be a toss-up between getting the ASM skimmer and the RO/DI, I think I will have to break the wallet open a bit more and get both. I agree that the G-3 is overkill right now, but I am thinking future expansion. I would rather have overkill now, than have to buy another, bigger model later. True?:yup:

lcstorc

Just saw the note about your future upgrade plans. I would absolutely go wit the G3 or even a G4 if you have room.
I just put a g4X on a 125g reef w/a 24g pony tank, a 29g fuge, a 29g sump, and plans to add a 55-75g pony tank in the near future. All of this does/will go through the main sump and skimmer and I wanted to go a bit overkill since I tend to have a high bio-load and feed a lot. The skimmer helps compensate for my bad habits. Basically I am saying I do not see the G3 as overkill for you as long as you have room for it. Most manufaturers overrate their skimmers anyway so I allowed for that as well when making the choice. Basically I got the biggest ASM that would fit in my stand and sump. It's pretty close only about 3 inches to the top of the stand from the top of the skimmer cup. Just enough room to remove it easily. I am scared about the first time I have to take the skimmer out for cleaning since it is a pretty tight fit in the tank and stand.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Excellent thinking. Bigger is better and you'll be one step ahead when the upgrade comes along.... and trust me, it will sooner than you think ;)

DeepBlue

Lynn, I am the other one that is making the current tank into a Pony Tank and I am so jealous now that you are upgrading your pony tank to a 55 - 75 gal. Wow, that will be incredable! Can't wait to see your progress on that one.:lurk:

bluespotjawfish

I wish the G-3 fit in my sump for my 125 gallon tank! But, I am still happy with the G-2. I wouldn't get a smaller unit just to save money!!! Oh no!!! I just meant that you could wait for the G-3 until you are ready to upgrade tanks. Hope it wasn't enterpreted any other way... I think you can live without food this week can't you? I vote for spending more!

lcstorc

Well I haven't gotten the go ahead yet. I am hoping for my anniversary in April. If I get what I want then the 24 will be a nursery since I would love to try to rase spme of my own though I know it is quite difficult. If that doesn't work I may go fpr a goby/pistol shrimp pair since that sound like a fun use for the little tank. Who knows what I may come up with by that time.