You have $300 to spend, what would you buy?

DeepBlue

Ahh yes, I think everyday should be an anniversary or birthday. I also wish I was a structural engineer on the space shuttle too! (sorry Lynn) But a Pistol / Goby combo would be neat!

Now, with the things I am going to buy, I guess I might as well go full out here. I am going to convert a 20 gal. tank into a sump to accomodate the G-3 skimmer, and I am going to make my wet/dry into a refugium. These will be in a separate cabinet that I will build next to the tank. This way, I have a sump and refugium and skimmer for the upgraded tank later this year. I will also be getting the RO/DI from the Filter Guys. I think that will pretty much blow my budget for the next few weeks....but like jawfish said, I don't need to eat....:eek:

lcstorc

I think that is how I got the "extreme addict" tag today. Always looking and planning for more. After this one I'll either get antother 125 that he can stock or a 250-300 g monster tank. Either one would be awesome and I already have places where I plan to put them. I just have to stay out of the lfs for a while cause I am killing myself buying new corals. :)

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
4) Currently, I do not have a UV filter, but I really want to add one on to help keep the water crystal clear.

FYI... a UV sterilizer will not necessarily make your water crystal clear. It will clear algae blooms and kill pathogens in your water, but if you are looking for crystal clear water then you need to run carbon or purchase an ozone generator.

bluespotjawfish

Now Lynn, you can't really kill yourself at the LFS. Take a deep breath - focus! What do you really want...

However, you could be crushed by the monster tank you plan to buy! What would happen to Bluespot then?

Now, back on task - HOW CAN WE SPEND MORE MONEY $$$$$$$

lcstorc

I would put UV relatively low on your list. They are certainly nice to have but not necessary. In fact we just turned ours off joping it would increase the pods in the tank for my scooter blenney who is looking very skinny and in the fuge hopefully for rehab. I put two bags of pods in the fuge and one in the display sp hopefully when I come home tonight he will be more active and look a bit better.

DeepBlue

Thanks JFK! I guess I mis-typed that. I meant to say - to keep it clear of the algae spores and pathogens - as you said. I do run carbon and have nice clear water, but it is the spores I want to knock out.

DeepBlue

Good Luck with your scooter Lynn! I have placed the UV at the very bottom of my list. There are too many other toys I want....

boozeman

I don't plan on upgrading my choices...I reached this conclusion after much research and soul searching. my tank won't be huge, but will be big enough to keep me happy for a very long time :D

lcstorc

I am a trained professtional at spending money particularly at the lfs. Went out yesterday for pods and came home with a coral. This is after Saturday's visit just to look which resulted in 3 chromos and 2 corals.
Someone really needs to stop me for a while. Actiually there has been so much activity lately that unless he gets me a female kuda I will probably stop for at least a couple of weeks. It helps that I will be out of town from Sunday to Thursday night next week and I can't exactly bring anything home on the plane. Anybody in Phoenix who want's to show off their reef? I love to look at what others have done.

DeepBlue

I am a trained professtional at spending money particularly at the lfs. Went out yesterday for pods and came home with a coral. This is after Saturday's visit just to look which resulted in 3 chromos and 2 corals.
Someone really needs to stop me for a while. Actiually there has been so much activity lately that unless he gets me a female kuda I will probably stop for at least a couple of weeks. It helps that I will be out of town from Sunday to Thursday night next week and I can't exactly bring anything home on the plane.

You know Lynn, I realized that I have the addiction when I have my navigation system in my car programed with the locations of LFS's within a 50 mile radius of me. That is scary....

lcstorc

Scary is when you don't need the navigation system to find them and/or they know you by name. :)

I would definately go towards the RO/DI unit and then the skimmer. Since the Seaclone is holding its own, then your waterquality will only get better with the addition of a quality RODI unit. Make sure to get a TDS meter as well to ensure that you're getting quality water and your cartridges don't need changing. I purchased one off E-bay with dual probes on it. I hooked one up after my RO membrane and the other after my DI cartridge so I can pinpoint when the RO cartridges/membrane needs maintenance versus changing the DI resin. The one I bought was $26 with shipping included. The ASM G-3, can come later (Same skimmer I have and absolutely love it).

As far as the refugium and wavemakers go, do you have room to make a "cage" in your sump and add a light over it? I did that in mine and I think it will work quite well. Refugiums are a product of their size though but a small one can't hurt.

As far as wavemaker's go, have you checked out the Hydor FLO rotating deflectors? They are cheap (around $12 or so) and work great. I've got them on 2 of my maxi jets and they create a very nice turbulent environment.

If I was going to spend $300 on MY system I would have to go with one of the many aquarium controllers that controll pH, ORP, lights, temp, wavemakers, etc.

Good luck and God bless,
Disciple

buhda72

Rodi and a skimmer that is the key to a nice problem free tank. Aaron
those hydor flow deflecters work great I have 2 of them also but I am getting ready to make kits for my maxijet 1200s and put the hydors in my frag tank.

Ken

If your married like me you should spend the money on your spouse then in a day or two go in debt for all that stuff you want and hope that she or he will help you pay it off instead of leaving you. Just kidding (sort of). Most of that stuff has to do with water quality but it would be between the RO/DI and skimmer to me. I did it in that order. Tough choice though, good luck.
Ken