yorkieUK's 4ft Glass Box (170 ltr UK / 45 gal US)

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Thanks to DianaKay for her help to a new member of RS, as well as goma and Mayja for their welcome.

My tank is 48"(L) x 12"(W) x 15"(H) / 122cm x 30cm x 37.5cm and is my first attempt at a reef tank.
The dimensions of the tank were more to suit the space that I had spare in my flat more than anything else.

I have now purchased a light hood, lights (LED), a light control unit (day/night/dimmer) and a couple of pumps.

I've just fitted the lights today using plastic pipe clips to hold them in place although I still have to drill the hood for the leads to go through. The white lights are using 3 watts and the blue light is only using 1 watt and seem to be bright enough for the size of the tank.

My next bits of kit will be a protein skimmer and a couple of heaters.
I will be progressing to a sump tank in the future but can't afford it right now.
I'll also invest in a better camera to record the progress of the tank.

Regards,
yorkieUK.

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
yorkieUK's 4ft Glass Box (170 ltr UK / 45 gal US)
Thanks to DianaKay for her help to a new member of RS, as well as goma and Mayja for their welcome.

My tank is 48"(L) x 12"(W) x 15"(H) / 122cm x 30cm x 37.5cm and is my first attempt at a reef tank.
The dimensions of the tank were more to suit the space that I had spare in my flat more than anything else.
KINDLE_CAMERA_1386344778000_zps83cc5b6e.jpg.html

I have now purchased a light hood, lights (LED), a light control unit (day/night/dimmer) and a couple of pumps.
http://s777.photobucket.com/user/yo...1386345256000_zps862ef4df.jpg.html?sort=3&o=5
http://s777.photobucket.com/user/yo...1386345400000_zpsea116765.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4
http://s777.photobucket.com/user/yo...1386346464000_zps9c532d5c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=3
http://s777.photobucket.com/user/yo...1386346479000_zps7c35c376.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

I've just fitted the lights today using plastic pipe clips to hold them in place although I still have to drill the hood for the leads to go through. The white lights are using 3 watts and the blue light is only using 1 watt and seem to be bright enough for the size of the tank.

My next bits of kit will be a protein skimmer and a couple of heaters.
I will be progressing to a sump tank in the future but can't afford it right now.
I'll also invest in a better camera to record the progress of the tank.

Regards,
yorkieUK.

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Well, the sand is now ordered and on its way. I've gone for Caribsea Seaflor Special Sand and Caribsea Aragamax Sand.
I'm nearly ready to go and get my RO water from my LFS.
Can't wait!:pBJ:
YorkieUK.

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
I've got my light control system working. It controls:
  • Daytime lights: time-on; time-off; power %; fade-in time; fade-out time,
  • Night lights: time-on; time-off; power %; fade-in time; fade-out time,
  • Manual over-ride.
It's a great little unit that I bought on eBay. The seller has another one on eBay @ £45.00
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=131080860213

If anyone who's checked out my chronicle thinks I've missed any vital kit, please let me know.:ofr:

YorkieUK.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Good picture UPDates....keep 'em coming.
Ready to see your rock scape creation & water in your tank :)

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
I'm going to my LFS tomorrow to get my RO water and salt. Does anyone have any recommendations on which brand of salt to go for, or even which brands to avoid??? :stars:

My tank is only 170ltr (45gal US).

YorkieUK.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Good start, this tank is going to look great. I can feel it. Will be watching as you progress along.

roearth

Congrats on starting up your tank. Loving the pics. My salt recommendation is .. . Reef crystals . Thats what I use now as the first salt I bought I didn't get along with and wasn't the best quality. Worth visiting a few local stores taking note of what brands they are stocking so then you could have a look on the web to see how they're rated -that's what I would do. Good luck with your adventure!!

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
IO Reef Crystals is a quality salt and you can't go wrong with it. I use Red Sea Coral Pro because I like the higher Alk, Ca and other higher values.

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Just an update of my Reef Chronicle. I'm like a kid on Christmas Eve :pBJ:.

Yesterday 01/10/14

Yesterday10thJan2014_zps7fd6ef17.jpg

25_zps6f7a5ae3.jpg

Today 01/11/2014

Today11thJan2014_zps43018713.jpg
Today11thJan20143_zps9aa42275.jpg
Today11thJan20142_zpscb0e1420.jpg

Can't wait until I can get my live rock in a couple of weeks time.:tumble:
I've put 40lb of Caribsea Seaflor Special Argonite in first and topped it off with 30lb of Caribsea Aragamax Sand (Oolite).
Thanks Diana and Greg for your advice :bow:, (invaluable as always).
I've spent the last couple of days rinsing it through with tap-water, finishing with a four hour rinse in RO water.
It's all new to me and I don't want to blow it all at the start, so small steps while I'm learning.

The Seio powerhead is a noisy little b#gger :cursin: so that will be replaced and saved as a spare. The Hydor Koralia powerhead is very quiet so I'll be investing in another couple of them.
My Fluval skimmer is running okay but I need to get used to it before I start adjusting it.
The Fluval heater is running fine and should have the water up to temp' by tomorrow morning.
There's a few more photos for anyone who is following my progress. Quality isn't the best, but a new camera will be on the way.

22_zpsb34fdf2c.jpg
16_zps3376e33f.jpg
14_zpsac0870ea.jpg
19_zpsd7c9d2a4.jpg
15_zpsb0b36704.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1386345400000_zpsea116765.jpg

Last edited:

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
GREAT UPDATE, getting very EXCITING :geekin:
Now comes being patient & letting the fun begin :thumbup:
Keep the updates coming, we like 'em :D

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Now ya need to Try to find some really good pieces of live rock....be selective & look it over good if you are buying in person from a local fish store (LFS). Things to try to avoid when buying LR is Aiptasia and GBA (green bubble algae). You can order nice dry rock & seed it with a few pieces of already matured LR. Lots of holes and lighter weight pieces will allow much more good bacteria surface per pound.
It's very exciting and fun to get your rock-scape put in the tank, and get the tank cycle started. :D