yorkieUK's 4ft Glass Box (170 ltr UK / 45 gal US)

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
:yehoo: Your little ocean is starting to show impressive progress :thumbup:
Keep the updates coming....Exciting to see this come together!! :D

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
P2150006_zpsa1bc8b53.jpg
P2150005_zps607fd45c.jpg
P2150009_zps4395c35b.jpg
P2150007_zps42fa01c0.jpg
P2150008_zpsd4884393.jpg

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Looks good Wayne, looking forward to seeing corals on those rocks!

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
:bow:Thanks Greg, Di & Glenn for all of your encouragement so far.:wave:

I keep going around & around in circles:turntable when I try to work out which corals to get in future.:stars:
It's hard to get a true perspective when I see most of your tanks on here:coffee2: because mine is much shallower.
:chair:It's the Tonga Branch stumps that I really want to get right. :ponder2:
For the tall one at the rear left of the tank, I would like something like:
  • Ultra Metallic Clove Polyp (Clavularia sp.);
  • Sun Coral Frag (Tubastrea aurea);
  • Metallic Daisy Polyp (Cornularia sp);
  • Purple Tip (Goniopora sp),
but most of the photos that I've seen for them are in larger colonies.
Would they survive as smaller frags:dunno: and more importantly, would they be happy to survive?:dance:

YorkieUK.

P2150048_zps85ffe900.jpg

3d7ae380-0970-4203-9422-6b1a38b7814b_zps7bc24b00.jpg

P2150046_zpsbd648407.jpg

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Nice looking setup mate :) I like the rockwork!
The best thing to do when deciding on corals is choose the dominating major group of corals you want :) SPS, LPS or softies or a mixed reef with a bit of each! Once you have that, you can gear the tank and fish towards those selections (or gear your tank towards your fish and then choose your corals haha) and do it that way :) Always the easiest as so many corals are so beautiful :yup:

If you want a good climbing/covering coral to make those tonga branches look awesome, here are a few of my suggestions:
- Clove polyps as you've said :)
- Star polyps, they grow like wildfire and will cover it in no time but you'll need to keep an eye out so they don't tank over!
- Zoa's, so many colours and great little corals! Some of my favourites
- Morph's will also do really well in this type of situation, hardy and can be very bright and colourful!

It's all about what you want to do :) I would stay away from xenia though as it grows like a weed and will take over before you even realise :p Ask away if you have any coral questions and I'll do my best, corals are my favourite animals and I do try to know everything about them I can :) So hopefully I can answer any questions you may have :)

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Thanks Dom.

I want a mixed coral tank with invertebrates to suit, followed by compatible fish.:dunno:

As far as corals are concerned, I would like a selection from (but not all as it's only 170lt):
  • a Super Blue Polyped Gorgonian sea whip, :whip:
  • Ice Fire Echinata Acropora,
  • 3 various Montipora growing close together on the top rock,
  • Australian Spider Sponge,
  • Dynamite Chalice, :colorful:
  • Candy Cane,
  • mixed Zoas & Polyps,
  • Fluorescent Tip Torch Euphyllia,
  • Ghost Fungia Plate Coral,
  • Blue Planet Mushroom,
  • Water Melon Mushroom (a must!),
  • Acropora Cerealis
  • :ignore:...........:yup:....................:turntable...........................:spinner:.........................:ponder2:.????????:stars:??????????:help1:

Wayne.

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Water Parameters
DateDayTimeTemp 'CChlorine Cl2Phosphate pHCalcium KHCarbon' Hard's CHNitrates NO3Nitrites NO2Magnesium MgAlkalinity KHAmmonia NH3Gravity

11/01/2014Sat120024Nil6.62016NilNil

13/01/2014Mon110025Nil6.82018NilNil

14/01/2014Tue120025Nil6.82018Nil0

15/01/2014Wed130025.5Nil7201820

16/01/2014Thu123025.5Nil7201850

18/01/2014Sat120025.5NIL7201850

20/01/2014Mon133025.5Nil71818101

22/01/2014Wed140025.5Nil71818101

24/01/2014Fri134525.5Nil6.81518152

26/01/2014Sun133025.5Nil6.81518253

28/01/2014Tue140025.5Nil71518304

04/02/2014Tue130025.5Nil708 to 10187510

08/02/2014Sat123025.5Nil7101860101020

12/02/2014Wed130025.5Live Rock in.71018508117010.501025.6
15/02/2014Sat133025.5Nil71018405126010.901028(30% w/c)
18/02/2014Tue124525.5Nil710 to 1220302135011.201025

I did a 30% w/c with pre-mixed RO on Saturday as my Gravity had spiked since putting the rock in.
I've been using fresh RO to top-up evaporation.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks Dom.
I want a mixed coral tank with invertebrates to suit, followed by compatible fish.:dunno:
As far as corals are concerned, I would like a selection from (but not all as it's only 170lt):
  • a Super Blue Polyped Gorgonian sea whip, :whip:
  • Ice Fire Echinata Acropora,
  • 3 various Montipora growing close together on the top rock,
  • Australian Spider Sponge,
  • Dynamite Chalice, :colorful:
  • Candy Cane,
  • mixed Zoas & Polyps,
  • Fluorescent Tip Torch Euphyllia,
  • Ghost Fungia Plate Coral,
  • Blue Planet Mushroom,
  • Water Melon Mushroom (a must!),
  • Acropora Cerealis
  • :ignore:...........:yup:....................:turntable...........................:spinner:.........................:ponder2:.????????:stars:??????????:help1:

Wayne.

No problems mate :) I just enjoy helping out and I love the table you've got going for your water params!! :D

Personally I choose the corals then build the tank around it :) So you're doing the right thing if that's the path you want to go. Think of some inverts and fish you want and then see if they're compatible and if not make some adjustments. Or you can divide your fish up again like the corals; do you want fast swimmers/active fish, bright colours, personality, practical fish or a mix :)

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get away with having the whole lot in your tank. Although if you do do that, you'll have to be careful and manage the system diligently as the care requirements of things like spider sponges and gorgonians are almost opposing to that of acro's and monti's. It can be done, you just have to care for your system :)
With that coral list I would look at it like this:
No Care:
- Zoa's, paly's and polyp's
- Mushrooms and morphs
When I say no care, I don't mean that exactly haha but you don't have to do anything special for them. They'll grow very happily in a well maintained tank with no extra care.

Some Care, Target Feeding:
- Euphyllia sp. these guys do really well with feeding's once a week
- Plate corals
- Chalice corals
- Candy Cane corals (although these guys can be rather finicky and need a little more attention to parameters)
- Ricordea yuma, r. florida are much harder to care for

SPS care:
- Acropora sp.
- Montipora sp.

Difficult and Serious Attention Required:
- Spider Sponges
- Gorgonians
- Gonipora
These are not impossible but I recommend that they go in the tank last once you have some experience!

I have greatly simplified these and I will happily expand on each on if you'd like :) I've added a few extra's in that you haven't mentioned just because hhaa
They are all compatible with each other but some mixes are harder than others and if you want all of them, I would stock in this order:
1.) Zoa's, paly's, morph's and other polyp's
2.) Ricordea
3.) The lps corals; euphyllia, plate, chalice
4.) Candy Cane and montipora
5.) Acropora and some of the other sps corals
6.) Spider sponges and gorgonians
I suggest this order as it's easiest to hardest and as you go along, you'll learn things about each coral that applies to the next batch and you'll be able to build a solid knowledge and ability to keep progressively harder to keep corals :)
I hope this helps mate and has shed some light for you :)

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
:bow: Thanks a million Dom :thumbup:, that's one hell of a reply that you took the time to send me.:geekin:

I'm housebound so I have 24/7 to take care with target feeding my tanks inhabitants.
I agree wholeheartedly that it makes sense to start with the 'easier to look after' corals until my knowledge increases and I get used to looking after my stock and recognize any problems that may occur through trial-&-error, but I do definitely want to end up with a mixed coral tank.

If I get all of my frags from the same supplier, how many is it safe to start with?
Will I need to start slow with just adding one every month so as not to crash my water levels or will it be safe to get a frag pack as long as they only have single heads? (& are compatible with each other).

As for my CUC, I'm looking at a few Sand Sifting Conch, Cerith snails, Spiny Shell Astrea snails, Algae Hermit crabs, Cleaner Shrimp.
I don't want any Sand Sifting Starfish because they will decimate my sand bed and outgrow my tank.
I would however, like some Micro Brittle Starfish but I haven't yet found a supplier here in the UK.

:threadjack:My next job will be to box-in the metal stand that my tank is on and shelve it out.
As soon as that is done, I can get a small quarantine tank set up, order my CUC and get started.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and feel free to post any comments on this thread.

Wayne.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
:bow: Thanks a million Dom :thumbup:, that's one hell of a reply that you took the time to send me.:geekin:

I'm housebound so I have 24/7 to take care with target feeding my tanks inhabitants.
I agree wholeheartedly that it makes sense to start with the 'easier to look after' corals until my knowledge increases and I get used to looking after my stock and recognize any problems that may occur through trial-&-error, but I do definitely want to end up with a mixed coral tank.

If I get all of my frags from the same supplier, how many is it safe to start with?
Will I need to start slow with just adding one every month so as not to crash my water levels or will it be safe to get a frag pack as long as they only have single heads? (& are compatible with each other).

As for my CUC, I'm looking at a few Sand Sifting Conch, Cerith snails, Spiny Shell Astrea snails, Algae Hermit crabs, Cleaner Shrimp.
I don't want any Sand Sifting Starfish because they will decimate my sand bed and outgrow my tank.
I would however, like some Micro Brittle Starfish but I haven't yet found a supplier here in the UK.

:threadjack:My next job will be to box-in the metal stand that my tank is on and shelve it out.
As soon as that is done, I can get a small quarantine tank set up, order my CUC and get started.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and feel free to post any comments on this thread.

Wayne.

Don't mention it, happy to help out! :)
Well then you won't have to worry about care requirements if you've got the time to look after the tank! Your aquatic friends will love you for it.
You'll get far more enjoyment from your tank if you stock it that way too, it'll make things easier and much more fun as the learning process isn't as harsh :yup: it'll also mean that the beginner mistakes you may make will be largely forgiven and not nearly as dire! Mixed reefs are amazing looking tanks and if you put in the effort you will be seriously rewarded :)
If you're going to start with zoa's and morph's you can get a few to start off as they don't effect the tank much in terms of intake of nutrients and they certainly don't add to the bioload. Say five to ten frags to start with, there's a little leeway depending on your how good your parameters. The number of heads/polyps on them can vary it's not too vital as they are hardy as well :)
What sort of frags were you looking to start with?
Snails are the best CUC!! I love mine and they do such an awesome job, just because having hermits there as well as they tend to eat snails if they aren't eating enough or want a bigger shell.
Micro-brittles are great additions, I have tonnes in my tank and they are the unseen heroes of the dark crevices no one else can get to haha

What are you going to box it in with? Timber, plyboard, something along a wooden line or something else? Just make sure you give it all a decent coat of waterproofing!!

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
My cycle is near complete:ponder2:, the water parameters are all OK :contract: but I'm still not seeing any sign of algae growth yet???:cursin:
I don't want to add any chemicals to it to boost the growth, so is it just a case of :chair: sitting and waiting a couple more weeks :tumble:before I can add some snails???:dunno:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Not seeing algae is good, nothing to worry about... if your cycle is complete you can add some snails, just start with a maybe a dozen & 1st fish or pair & 1st coral.

How many hours a day are you running your lights? Once you start running them 8 hours a day & feeding fish, you will have something for the snails to eat. :)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Your ammonia is now zero & nitrites zero (and it's been around 6 weeks since the start) looks like your cycle is complete, start weekly water changes, add your chemical filtration & you are good to go... :dance:

So slow adding fish... 1 a month or a pair once, then one a month a good rate to start - fish = bioload

yorkieUK

PREMIUM
Not seeing algae is good, nothing to worry about... if your cycle is complete you can add some snails, just start with a maybe a dozen & 1st fish or pair & 1st coral.

How many hours a day are you running your lights? Once you start running them 8 hours a day & feeding fish, you will have something for the snails to eat. :)

Hi Glenn,

I thought I'd have to have at least some green algae for the snails to munch on?
I know that there will be some detritus and bacteria in my substrate as I bought live-sand, and 30% of my live rock was "wet-live" with the rest "dry-live" and Tonga.
If I was to add some snails now, will they be enough to encourage the bio-load on their own?
Will I need to supplement it with something like Phytoplankton?

As for my lights, I have them on a timer/dimmer running the:
  1. blue LED's from 0600 with a 3hr power-up, to 80%
  2. white LED's kick in at 0730 with a 3hr power-up, to 100%
  3. full colour spectrum LED's start at 0830 with a 2hr power-up, to 100%
  4. white and full colour start winding down at 1600 with a 3hr dim to 0%
  5. blues start winding down at 1800 with a 6hr dim to 0%.
  6. no lights between midnight and 0600hrs.

I have 2 powerheads running.
A 1600 l/hr which runs with the blue lights and a 900 l/hr that runs 24/7 so the flow is reduced at night.