Wrangy's 50 Gallon ZEOvit Rebirth

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Great read as always, man I cant belive the colours U get ;) They are insane.
How do U plan running your matrix ? I just got myself 1l and poured it in where the intank mediarack was on my rsm250...Huge mistake?
Thank you and thank you :)
Just in the sump, nothing special or different. Chuck it all in and let it go lol You should be fine running it in the media rack! :) See if you can squeeze a bit more in though ;)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I was going through a few old pics of things and I have to say that some things have had a great deal of change! Like the firetruck, this was what it looked like in it's prime before I restarted the tank under leds:

Which was pretty damn cool but no where near the same level of intense red that it is now, even if it's a little unhappy in this pic. Which is a give away from the lack of any green pigment and a bit of unhappiness on some edges lol:

When I restarted the tank I managed to slice most of the nail of my index finger off about 3/4 of the way through moving everyone across which meant my beautiful t. maxima was left to suffer in the tub for an extra two weeks or so and it not only nearly killed me seeing her in such conditions but she did not fair so well. After a two hour acclimatisation to the tank and lots (LOTS) of water shot everywhere she finally landed back into her old spot in the tank and a proper environment. Next time she get's moved a little sooner lol. It was also the first go I'd had at cutting the byssal threads to remove her from her old rock for a new one in the tank! Here she is, looking a bit sickly just after moving:

To her now, back to the absolute beauty that I fell in love with three years ago!! And the reason she gets a quarter of the floor space of the tank haha

Now for a bit of an explanation why I'm persisting so hard with this stubborn bastard!

This lovely little cherub has been a pain for a while now as the best colour that I could achieve was a measly fraction of the state it came in and I will continue to persist because I want to bring it back into the colour it should be! Basically this was the best I could get, bleachy-blue looking dips and a super dark almost black looking brown everywhere else lol largely because growth has been fairly non-existent in my tank over the last however many months but it's coming back again finally!!

Let's see if you can spot what it came in like...

This. This stunning thing is the reason why I'm going to continue pouring effort into this piece because I want this colour back lol

I have to say that over the three or four years (I forget when I first started lol) I've had one of the most awesome experiences in keeping a reef tank and it's really going to be something that I keep with me forever! Whether that's continuing with tanks the size I have or needing to go right down to a pico, I think there will always be a place for a tank no matter where I am or what I'm doing. And of these years the last year and in particular the last 4-5 months have been some of the biggest learning curves I've had and the most success with the tank I've had. There's been a lot of up and down but I like to think I've come a long way in the last year!

Here's the tank just after restarting (led's then too), oh how clean and simple it looked!:

To this a couple of weeks ago, while I still have a few issues that need some sorting, I'm pretty happy with where I am now as a reefer and how my tank is going!

All you guys have been a huge inspiration to me and I've learnt HEAPS from reading all the threads here and from the input you've all had as well. So thank you to everyone!!

Wowwowwow.. I need to figure out the best lens for any coral photos in the future. Someday I hope I develop a sense of what needs to be done in a tank to produce a "coralscape" such as yours! Still cycling my rsm250 and dying of anticipation for some progress lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Wowwowwow.. I need to figure out the best lens for any coral photos in the future. Someday I hope I develop a sense of what needs to be done in a tank to produce a "coralscape" such as yours! Still cycling my rsm250 and dying of anticipation for some progress lol

haha thanks Scott :) I'm just using a Canon EOS1100D with the stock lens that comes with the camera, nothing special but it will take you hours to figure out how to get shots how you want them :)
Just go with what you think looks cool, that was my basis haha have a plan in your head that you've based off other tanks you've seen and like and that's the best way to go about it!

Btw, what species is that clam?? Is it tridacnid? If so I've never seen one that color and size before, and it looks happy as hell. How tolerant are they of parameters, and do you target feed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Btw, what species is that clam?? Is it tridacnid? If so I've never seen one that color and size before, and it looks happy as hell. How tolerant are they of parameters, and do you target feed?

She is a tridacna maxima :) They do get pretty sizeable but they are one of the smaller giant clam species out there. T. crocea is the smallest though and t. gigas being the largest! Right from when I very first started this hobby SPS and clams were what I wanted to keep and I did hours upon hours of research into both so that when I finally set up my tank, it is was all done to be able to support them. Thank you for the compliment but she's been pretty happy doing her thing and loves the tank so responds by being so happy. I have no pests, fish or inverts that bother her and even then she doesn't care, back when I had my pair of hawkfish they used to perch on her and she wouldn't care. For clams the first 6 months you have them is the duration you need to pay a really close eye to them as that's when they're much more sensitive to everything, so keeping things stable and happy is vital. After about 6 months (sometimes longer, sometimes less) they tend to have settled into the system and have attached to their new home, once this happens they're actually really hardy creatures and can thrive very easily :)

Keeping your parameters stable is always the best thing to do for everyone in the tank! Regardless of what you're keeping aim for stability. Clams are more sensitive to long time parameter instability so you do need to be more mindful of them :)
On the topic of target feeding clams, my statement to that is:
Do not ever target feed a clam! It's a very common misconception that lots of people have about clams because they're filter feeders. However it's not the case at all, the particles can damage their internal organs and the high concentration of nutrients in the foods can also burn their internal organs too due to the sensitivity. You can add filter feeder foods to the tank but I can say that I've never feed anything specifically aimed at feeding clams :) They just need plenty of light (which you'll have easily in the 250 :) ) and nice stable and clean water! Which you'll be able to manage!

Wow wrangy thanks for the sage wisdom here! Hope you don't mind the questions, I too have dreamed of having a reef aquarium since childhood and now it's looking like I can do it. Variety of inverts is a personal love as I think they're more interesting lol. Clams are at the top, and I even have a spot in the light on the sand where I (hope) one will be. If there's a good "beginner"clam (I know this is a bad term) I'm all ears. Been fascinated by them ever since I saw a nat'l geographic documenting some giant clams..the scale was breathtaking!
Anyway, I'll be following and may ask more about them as my tank matures.
Thank you for all the help!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Wow wrangy thanks for the sage wisdom here! Hope you don't mind the questions, I too have dreamed of having a reef aquarium since childhood and now it's looking like I can do it. Variety of inverts is a personal love as I think they're more interesting lol. Clams are at the top, and I even have a spot in the light on the sand where I (hope) one will be. If there's a good "beginner"clam (I know this is a bad term) I'm all ears. Been fascinated by them ever since I saw a nat'l geographic documenting some giant clams..the scale was breathtaking!
Anyway, I'll be following and may ask more about them as my tank matures.
Thank you for all the help!

Question away mate I'm happy to help :)
Sounds like a nice plan for the tank though! If I were to recommend a species of clam I would lean towards t. maxima, t. crocea and t. squamosa :) There's no real beginners clam and they're all about as hardy as each other so it's just a matter of what you want, so it's worth researching the different species! They're definitely the most amazing creatures to add to your tank and I would have a tank without them!

No problems :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Some new pics, acro's are looking really sharp at the moment!

Two of the nicest acro's I've bought from the most amazing shipment ever!!

And this lovely acro sunrise :D

Chalice are looking happy at the moment too :) And growing again nicely!

A few zoa pics, the frag garden

And of course a new FTS :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Your doing a superb job Dom !!! Everything is looking stellar :nessie:
Thanks Glenn, the compliment means a lot :) I really wish I could bring the move forward as there's a few things that need some easy fixes but I can't do them until the move :( lol

Wrangy your chalice' are amazing.. Any tips on handling them/parameter tips?

Thanks Scott :) I actually have no idea lol I've given them some lower light and they seem to be thriving on their own with no help from me! They do have a good amount of water passing over them but it's very general flow and not direct.

Awesome pics!
The sunny d's pic is my new screen saver[emoji16]
And that Acro looks like cotton candy lol. softest of pink coloration is gorgeous.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Awesome pics!
The sunny d's pic is my new screen saver[emoji16]
And that Acro looks like cotton candy lol. softest of pink coloration is gorgeous.

I'm flattered :) I'm stoked you liked the pic mate!
I'm just hoping that it stays that way long term!! lol so fingers crossed for me!

View attachment 45498

Some pics as the rsm250 comes along

View attachment 45499

Tank is coming along really nicely mate, I have to agree with Glenn though you do need to start up a tank thread so we can all follow along and he's given the links for the right spots too :) (Check your inbox too, I've sent you PM about creating a thread :) )

Your photography skills are getting better and better. If there was a pic of the month contest - you'd win with this shot! :props:
Why thank you :D I was really happy with how that pic turned out and I think in the last few weeks my skills have improved a little further as I've noticed my shots are looking better (or at least I'm happier with them lol)