Wrangy's 50 Gallon Reef Cube

orieng

Hey Wrangy, how many days more till you zeo? I hope you get your stuff sooner than later. I am in day 3 now and have got set into the rhythm of dosing and pumping. The FSH reactor is working better after I removed a small amount of the zeolites. I think you will be alright with yours cause the amount of zeolites needed for your tank will be less than 1 litre. You also need a non return valve in the piping so that the water doesn't come down the tube exposing the zeolites when the pump is switched off. Thanks and good luck on your sups arriving soon.

Oxylebius

Thanks guys :)
Oxy, that is brilliant! I hadn't even thought of doing something like that but it's an excellent idea. I'll definitely be doing that but I might just use it to grow frags to share with fellow reefers :) Both superman's will be sharing the same rock in a lower light area at the front of the tank. I'll be getting a blue skeleton with red polyp superman and a red skeleton with blue polyp reverse superman and all of the monti's are encrusting species, not sure on the exact species of them though as they are being bought from fellow reefers.
I'll be testing the sunset and rainbow to see who likes the prime monti spot more as it's right in the centre of the tank and will be too hard to grow an acro in the spot so a monti will work perfectly, high-ish light but it also is shaded in parts to will shall see :)

Nice article on superman monti on Advance Aquarist online mag - http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2008/2/aafeature2
It characterized superman monti as monti danae and analyses suggest the two M. danae specimens in the article and their zooxanthellae seem to prefer lower light conditions, where intensity is only 100 - 200 µmol·m²·sec.
Do you have a par meter?

It's always worth trying different spots to see what the corals like, this is particularly true with any and all acropora and montipora corals. I've been quite lucky with how much my corals enjoy their locations :) I'm looking forward to getting some photo's to show how heavily acro based the tank has become but not until the algae has reduced further ;)

Fully agree about testing out different spots for acro and encrusting monties. Monti digitatas in my experience can be placed nearly anywhere. I've been pretty lucky with placement as well. Not so much with Pocillopora and Stylopora, they don't seem to like as bright of light in my experience and have ended up bleaching some.

Current plays a role also.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Continued delays on the zeo front, I'll get there one day haha maybe in time for Christmas :banghead:

No par meter but I'm willing to take the time to slowly move them up and around until I find the sweet spot :) Currently they're all sitting on the sandbed in the tank so I'm going to leave them there for about a week before I start planning on their permanent homes

I've had a couple of acro's that just love where they were placed the first time and some that didn't and required a lot more effort to locate the right spot haha I haven't tried any pocillopora or stylopora so I don't really have much to say lol it's amazing the difference that different spots can make though. I currently have two frags of the same acro in different locations so I'll be intrigued to see who is happier and by how much because they are both happy now, I can't make any comparisons yet as a snail pushed one of the frags off my shelf and into my torch coral so as you can imagine there was a bit of a battle but all of the bleached ends and tissue necrosis has stopped and been grown over so it must be happy and enjoying the tank!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
So instead of continuing to wait for zeo I'm pulling the order I have but going to order the bits he does have and find the rest from other retailers so that I can get it all within a week or so :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
So it looks like I will be getting zeo within a week or so, the guy I ordered from originally is hopefully going to come through with a deal for me on start, bak, food and the zeo carbon and I've found somewhere that has the stones in stock that's super cheap and I know the store too :) If he can't come through for me on the bak (it's the make or break par of the deal) I have found another store that has it in stock :) so I have sourced the parts from different stores, now just to make it all come together :D

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Do yourself a favor and avoid the pocilipora..... It spreads like a weed and stings!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Do yourself a favor and avoid the pocilipora..... It spreads like a weed and stings!

Lucky I'm not a huge fan of them then! haha I'm mainly all acro in my sps and now some really nice pieces of encrusting monti's :) couple of other various corals but everything I do is pretty much for the acro's haha

Basile

Hey Dom , sorry i've been studying, my new business classes are taking lots of my time now and its serious stuff specially for a wreck like me, lol. At 52 the school bench are little hard on the butt which aint what it use to be, ( not as firm) can't endure 8 h of sitting down on a piece of plywood everyday and not feel it in your spine lol. Now i understand the chineese torture of the chair..... Plus you have to listen to the vagrant in front of you, lol. But its going well really and after that i should beat Donal Trump at monopoly they told me. Or at least get all my debt paid by the goverment and tax payers. Glad your progressing nicely picture please. That be great i have a new vid comming too.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Don't forget about me when you overtake Mr. Trump :p Nice work on the study though :) I've got some photo's too :D Just coral pics for the moment and I'll be getting some more under the blues too I think! Took them all while the water was low during my water change and with pumps off :) Please excuse the reflections lol

Metallic orange and green acro, this guy is definitely my equal favourite acro!:

And the other of my favourite acro living in the tank:

Nicely encrusted frags, probably looking for a new home when they colour up a little more :)

Starting to develop dark blue which is good, only taken 4 months haha:

Another wicked piece, two branches have bleached but it doesn't look like it's spread at all so that's good:

Crappy photo, not showing proper colours :( Still a nice acro though :)

Really nicely coloured and growing well :)

Pink and blue tipped acro, hasn't developed the blue yet though :) And rainbow monti underneath :)

This little guy is awesome, such a tough bugger! Acro crabs nearly completely killed it and has bounced back phenomenally :D

Ric garden, colours are a lot better in person though ;)

Annnd of course some zoa's!!
Pretty blues, such amazing zoa's, slow growers though

And my single darth maul polyp, has doubled in size since I've added it, just waiting on some buds now! :)

Last but definitely not least!! My crown jewel, the most important and special baby in my tank. The one invert that I dote over and worry about consistently, someone who is exceptionally tough and very happy in the tank, having grown heaps since I added her 6-7 months ago. You could say she's as happy as a clam! :p

Hope everyone enjoys :) I've stopped worrying about the algae, it's not hurting anyone and it'll go away eventually :) Zeo is STILL on the way LOL hopefully soon though and everything else is quite happy too :)

I got some nice fish too, pics to follow :D

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Looking good Dom, That clam is a beauty, I love it.I also like your blue zoa,s.Your illumagics give the tank a christmas feel lol.

Thanks Mark :) It was love at first sight when I saw that beauty in the tanks at my lfs :D Bought her home and she's been as happy as since becoming at home in the tank :) The blue zoa's were an awesome score, paid $25pp with three polyps to start with though haha definitely could become an investment :p wouldn't sell them for that much though lol and I love my illumagics, everything is so happy under them :yup:

Oxylebius

This little guy is awesome, such a tough bugger! Acro crabs nearly completely killed it and has bounced back phenomenally :D

Yeah, I think the frag is a little too small for acro crabs. It is possible that you had an imposter acro crab also. It's looking great.

Thanks for all the great pics

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The acro crabs were actually living in the big tan like coloured one in the photo but at night they were actually going across to the little frag and killing it :( didn't know what was happening for a few weeks while it keeper getting more bleached then saw them on it one night, they now live in the sump and the coral is coming back awesomely :D

Oxylebius

You have lots of macro algae, is it all purposely placed in the tank....sorry if this was already covered in the 35+ pages of your thread, didn't go back and read all of 'em.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Haha not quite, it just appeared and hasn't left, I'm sort of working on getting rid of it but it's not hurting anything so it doesn't bother me too much anymore and it is slowly receding in places so that must be a good sign

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Seeing as I got some coral shots the other night, I thought I might take some shots of the fish while I was sitting there watching the tank :) Now I do have a pair of a. dispar in the tank and I'm aware they do need a larger tank so at the first sign of any stress or happiness I will be getting them a better home to go too :) So far they're really happy and eating well, they really get along with everyone which is awesome :D
Current stocklist is:
1x - Gramma loreto (Royal Gramma)
1x - Centropyge flavicauda (Yellow Tail Dwarf Angelfish)
1x - Neocirrhites armatus (Flame Hawkfish)
2x - Pseudanthias dispar (Dispar Anthias)

Nice photo's of everyone together:

Just some other shots of the fish, mainly the anthias, I love my anthias :yup:

And my favourite photo of the lot :)