Wrangy's 50 Gallon Reef Cube

Mr.Reeefer

Hey Dom,

Algae hey, sorry to hear mate, I didn't expect to see you run into an algae issue though, your tank has been running for quite some time yeah?? So have you added any LR? Why would it leech now?
Anyway your an educated man, I'm not going to give advice.

All I will say though, say you do restart, do you think this would never happen again? Most of us experience an algae issue at some time or another. How disappointing would it be to restart and still run into an algae issue down the road, we just have to ride it out and work hard at it.

As for turbos, as stated highly efficient, but as also stated bulldozers!! There is no place they won't go, and there isn't to much that will stop them from getting there, I put three large ones in my 140, and they smashed the algae, but I also came home to dropped corals almost everyday also, in the 250 I am glueing everything down, but they can still drop even glued corals, I'm not putting any in the 250, probably go some nasso's this time around.

Anyway mate, good luck, I hope next time I'm through your back to your chirpy self with no algae!!

Take Care

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks guys :) I really appreciate the awesome words and advice!! :yup: I'm feeling a lot better about it, just needed to rant somewhere lol.

I have plenty of snails going around in the tank! Two massive trochus snails, a strombus, 4 mini snails and about 5 or 6 turbos in the tank going at the algae but they're not interested in some of it as it is mostly macro algae and not micro. They do a good job though :)

Brock in terms of the LR leeching, it can happen at any time and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. What it is is a build up of all the nutrients that it and it's bacteria harvest and remove from the water building up to such a point that it almost over-saturates itself. When this occurs it results in the LR then leeching these nutrients back into the water for a period of time until the rock is no longer saturated and 'healthy' again, it's just a time thing and it'll end soon hopefully but by removing the nutrients from the water it causes the rock to leech a little faster and therefore speed the process up. If I restart the tank (in the worst case scenario) I'll be using dry rock and seeding it with LR to avoid having the problem like this as bad and be more in control from the get go! Hopefully it doesn't come to that though!!!

My plan for the moment is get the ZEOvit up and running and really going in the tank and see how that goes for a good month or two along with regular water changes once a week and manual removal of the algae whenever I have the time too and if after two months of zeo nothing has changed then I will reassess :)

Basile, the tank is 200L and the sump is probably just shy of 50L. It has my RLSS R6-i skimmer in the first compartment, heater in the second and return and furture ZEOvit reactor in the last chamber. Not the best layout and use of space but it works so I don't mind at the moment!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Hopefully not many at all! :D Once I hear back from the supplier it'll only be a few days after that but the new supps are currently still in Germany so hopefully they leave soon!! This has been such an ordeal to get it all here!! I just want to get it up and running

orieng

You are waiting for the sups andi am waiting for the reactor. Hopefully both of us get it soon. The waits can be so frustrating and only a four letter word can describe what I feel with this waiting..:jfkjr: I guess it's time

Mr.Reeefer

Hopefully not many at all! :D Once I hear back from the supplier it'll only be a few days after that but the new supps are currently still in Germany so hopefully they leave soon!! This has been such an ordeal to get it all here!! I just want to get it up and running

That suck man, I hope you get it soon

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Okay, so I haven't disappeared completely! I've been exceptionally busy with life and my university degree and a manner of other things but hopefully I'll be around a little more often as it's starting to settle down again (I think :p)!
The tank is doing well, sps and zoa's are really starting to look a heck of a lot better and generally happier :) Not sure what it might be or a combination of but the recent changes I've made to the tank could definitely be a part of it, including:
- Wetter and more frequent skimming
- New bottle of Coral Vitalizer (the other one went out of date and I was using it for a two months or so)
- Addition of Bio-mate in the tank to help combat the algae growths and phos issue
- I've just started to add Acropower to the tank too! :)

I think the combination of all of this has done the tank well :) The algae is starting to slowly make recessions in parts of the tanks and seems far less prominent now so something must be working or I'm getting too excited haha.

Still no zeo though!!! :banghead: I sent a bunch of angry emails last week to get some actual answers and I gave the retailer till the end of next week to get me the supplements or I'm pulling the order so I will have zeo running by the end of next week. The reactor is in the sump with pump attached and running but nothing inside haha SOOONN though!!

I've finally fixed and setup my dosing pumps and I've started balling with the Fauna Marine Balling Light range which I have been looking for but couldn't find as no one in Aus supplies it but on a recent trip up to Sydney I found a retailer who sells it and really knows his stuff!! :yup: It was an awesome find to say the least! So I know have Calcium and Alkalinity running no pumps one and two (the tank uses no Magnesium at the moment so I'm not dosing that but I will once it starts to get consumed) and on the third pump I have acropower so that it can be dosed 1ml a day and I don't have to do it manually myself.

All in all, things are going pretty swimmingly in my end of the world! :) Hopefully everyone is doing well!! I look forward to catching up on people's tanks and happenings! :yup:

Dom :)

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Great to hear things are going well for ya mate. Shame about your supplier struggling to get the zeo in, but hang in there as it really will be worth the wait :)

Wolffman64

Good news about the corals and algae, mate, but frustrating about the zeo. I just discovered that I never got one of my deliveries from one supplier that I ordered over 2 months ago. His comment "oh I must have forgotten" didn't impress me....

Read about your Sydney trip, sounded like it was a success. Next time I will try and catch up with you as well!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I might try to get some photo's over this weekend :) Hopefully the difference is noticeable from the photo's!!

Zeo is pretty much out of stock everywhere, people have bits and pieces but no one has the entire range! So I guess I'll just keep waiting patiently :) Luckily nothing good happens fast in reefing :p haha I can't wait to get it running though :) The tank has just started to really come into it's own and now that I'm auto-dosing my Ca and Alk, things are going even better.

The bio-mate seems to be working wonders in the tank, usually a few days after a water change the glass is covered with the usual brown film again (fairly heavily too) which is a good indication of a higher nutrient level but I've been dosing it for over a week now 2 drops on Monday and Friday and it's been nearly a week since my last water change and the film is only a light dusting, almost unnoticeable :) Algae is making a recession still, some rocks have area's that are completely clean :D Snails are far more effective now that the diatoms on the glass are very little, this is forcing them to go back onto the rocks and eat the algae rather than the diatoms which is having a brilliant effect too :) The little short-spined urchin that I found about 2 weeks ago has grown from a pin head (body size not including spines) to now bigger than a large pea which is awesome!! He's such a beautiful little critter when I spot him and he's doing his thing on the rocks too so more algae destruction!!
One of the things I had suspected to be part of the cause of so much algae was not enough bacteria growth in the tank due to me feeding minimally to try and reduce nutrients, I used to feed the tank about 3 times a week now I'm feeding everyone a decent serving once a day and that seems to be really helping as well :) The fish love it :laughroll:

All of the sps are growing and encrusting really well and the clam has been doing really well! Since adding the amazing animal to my tank it has grown 3 or 4 really nice big new layers on it's shell :) The ric garden is growing well, zoa's are doing fantastically since adding acropower, increasing the feeding and a new bottle coral vitalizer the colours have increased awesomely and growth is increased too. The thing I'm most happy about with the zoa's is that the really expensive blue zoa's I have ($25 per polyp) have really started to colour up again :D The frag has gone from three polyps to now 15+ which has added probably 4 or 5 new polyps recently. I'm also really happy with how my tiny little single polyp of a Darth Maul zoa is growing :) Slowly but steadily and considering how much I paid for it, I'm happy with that :)

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Just some more good news in the reefing world of mine! In the next couple of weeks along with my zeo supplements (hopefully!! haha) I will be getting some very nice encrusting montipora frags that I have been after for some time!! I am going to be getting some frags of Superman Montipora, Reverse Superman Montipora (nothing hugely exciting but nice pieces) and finally (for this purchase) a piece of Rainbow Montipora! This little wonder is something that I have been chasing for a while to no avail and I put out to try and find some and a fellow reefer friend of mine has replied with the wonderful news :p Cannot wait to get these pieces!! :D
One of the best bits of news though is that I will hopefully be able to get a frag of the infamous Sunset Montipora! This has some interesting tales of it here in Australia and of it's availability and the things that have happened when pieces of it have become available but I have spoken to another reefer here and he has said that he'll put a piece aside for me when his frags become available in a few months time :D

After all of that the tank is going well! Happy with how things are progressing and growing and that the algae is starting to make more of a recession :yup: I shall upload some pictures when it is completely obvious as must of the die off and lack of regrowth has started at the back of the rockwork haha so it still looks similar from the front :p just my luck!

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Wow my updates have been really long, hopefully everyone enjoys a story :laughroll

Oxylebius

I've found that encrusting monties are hard to frag if you wanted them in several locations in your tank. So, a little trick I've been using with success is to allow the monti to encrust a smallish round rock (inch diameter), glue the rock where you want the monti to encrust, allow it time to spread out from the base of the round rock and then pluck the rock off and glue it to another location. The location where you plucked the rock off from continues to grow and encrust and you start the process in a new location. I'm about to pull the small round rock of my sunset monti off the location where it is at and glue it to a new location. This way I can have it growing in more then one location in the tank. I wish I had done this w/my encrusting purple monti danae, it is a gorgeous color and it didn't like the location where I first placed it (it died in bright light and ended up growing into crevices, I want another but they are expensive and hard to come by at times.

What color of superman are you getting, there are many types of colors available. Watch where you place your superman, M. danae specimens seem to prefer lower light conditions. Too much light will bleach it. And in my experience this is one coral that doesn't like temps over 80 degrees either.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
Cool findings Dom. I think its time to relocate one of my monti's as I think it needs a different light level. Strange thing was about 4 months ago I had it roughly in the same position it is now and it went a gorgeous blue, I rescaped the rocks and it ended up somewhere else and turned dull brown so I relocated it back and its not regained that blue! But I will say it has done a impressive job of encrusting the local rockwork. I would say there is more of it encrusted than the original frag disc, so I could try and prize out the frag and relocate that and see what happens........ Hmmm

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Thanks guys :)

Oxy, that is brilliant! I hadn't even thought of doing something like that but it's an excellent idea. I'll definitely be doing that but I might just use it to grow frags to share with fellow reefers :) Both superman's will be sharing the same rock in a lower light area at the front of the tank. I'll be getting a blue skeleton with red polyp superman and a red skeleton with blue polyp reverse superman and all of the monti's are encrusting species, not sure on the exact species of them though as they are being bought from fellow reefers.
I'll be testing the sunset and rainbow to see who likes the prime monti spot more as it's right in the centre of the tank and will be too hard to grow an acro in the spot so a monti will work perfectly, high-ish light but it also is shaded in parts to will shall see :)

It's always worth trying different spots to see what the corals like, this is particularly true with any and all acropora and montipora corals. I've been quite lucky with how much my corals enjoy their locations :) I'm looking forward to getting some photo's to show how heavily acro based the tank has become but not until the algae has reduced further ;)

Wolffman64

I might try to get some photo's over this weekend :) Hopefully the difference is noticeable from the photo's!!

Zeo is pretty much out of stock everywhere, people have bits and pieces but no one has the entire range! So I guess I'll just keep waiting patiently :) Luckily nothing good happens fast in reefing :p haha I can't wait to get it running though :) The tank has just started to really come into it's own and now that I'm auto-dosing my Ca and Alk, things are going even better.

The bio-mate seems to be working wonders in the tank, usually a few days after a water change the glass is covered with the usual brown film again (fairly heavily too) which is a good indication of a higher nutrient level but I've been dosing it for over a week now 2 drops on Monday and Friday and it's been nearly a week since my last water change and the film is only a light dusting, almost unnoticeable :) Algae is making a recession still, some rocks have area's that are completely clean :D Snails are far more effective now that the diatoms on the glass are very little, this is forcing them to go back onto the rocks and eat the algae rather than the diatoms which is having a brilliant effect too :) The little short-spined urchin that I found about 2 weeks ago has grown from a pin head (body size not including spines) to now bigger than a large pea which is awesome!! He's such a beautiful little critter when I spot him and he's doing his thing on the rocks too so more algae destruction!!
One of the things I had suspected to be part of the cause of so much algae was not enough bacteria growth in the tank due to me feeding minimally to try and reduce nutrients, I used to feed the tank about 3 times a week now I'm feeding everyone a decent serving once a day and that seems to be really helping as well :) The fish love it :laughroll:

All of the sps are growing and encrusting really well and the clam has been doing really well! Since adding the amazing animal to my tank it has grown 3 or 4 really nice big new layers on it's shell :) The ric garden is growing well, zoa's are doing fantastically since adding acropower, increasing the feeding and a new bottle coral vitalizer the colours have increased awesomely and growth is increased too. The thing I'm most happy about with the zoa's is that the really expensive blue zoa's I have ($25 per polyp) have really started to colour up again :D The frag has gone from three polyps to now 15+ which has added probably 4 or 5 new polyps recently. I'm also really happy with how my tiny little single polyp of a Darth Maul zoa is growing :) Slowly but steadily and considering how much I paid for it, I'm happy with that :)

Mate, I agree with you about the feeding. I have a feeling that we all as newbies get told not to overfeed the tank, and then get told all the horrible consequences if we overfeed, that most of us tend to underfeed. I know that I fell into that trap, and most likely underfed for over 2 years. I have recently changed my feeding completely, with two small pellet feedings during the day (with auto feeder), and a big feed with frozen food every evening. The result for me is very obvious: All the fish are fatter and healthier, and all the corals are growing better and have much better colouration.