Would you Knowingly Buy Coral from Someone who has an Aiptasia Issue?

Ceejai777

Someone near me sent me pics of several zoanthid frags and I saw at least one aiptasia on each frag. He told me he bough 80 lbs of "pest-free" live rock and had it in a tub for 4 months. When he looked at it, it was covered in aiptasia. He is on a local facebook group and I have seen 1 or 2 people praise the quality of his coral but to me, it doesn't make sense to knowingly take on a potential problem I don't have.

What are your guys' thoughts?

Pat24601

Someone near me sent me pics of several zoanthid frags and I saw at least one aiptasia on each frag. He told me he bough 80 lbs of "pest-free" live rock and had it in a tub for 4 months. When he looked at it, it was covered in aiptasia. He is on a local facebook group and I have seen 1 or 2 people praise the quality of his coral but to me, it doesn't make sense to knowingly take on a potential problem I don't have.

What are your guys' thoughts?

This may depend on your experience level.

I wouldn't, but that's in part because I'm newer to the hobby, never dealt with aiptasia and wouldn't want to.

Some of our more experienced hobbiest may feel like this is no big deal and they can handle it fine. I'm not sure.

I've definitely had frags arrive with problems before. Some I dealt with the problem before it hit my display and some I missed it until it was too late.

But, I've never knowingly bought a frag with problems.

Ceejai777

This may depend on your experience level.

I wouldn't, but that's in part because I'm newer to the hobby, never dealt with aiptasia and wouldn't want to.

Some of our more experienced hobbiest may feel like this is no big deal and they can handle it fine. I'm not sure.

I've definitely had frags arrive with problems before. Some I dealt with the problem before it hit my display and some I missed it until it was too late.

But, I've never knowingly bought a frag with problems.
I have never dealt with aiptasia and am newer to the hobby so I'm definitely leaning toward not buying any

Ceejai777

If your in doubt about any livestock, either pass it up or be prepared to take your chances with it, quarantine and if needed treat it.

I told him I'm passing. The issue seems to be constant in his tank. He says he gets rid of it and it comes back. Seeing multiple decent sized aiptasia on the 6 frag pics he sent me was enough to scare me off

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
A couple of years back I got a "deal" on some frags and one had a small aiptasia that I didn't notice, having never had it before, it turned in to dozens ... long story short & lesson learned - frags with problems are not a deal - took me over a year to rid the tank of it, same thing with red turf algae

Pat24601

I once ordered a frag online that I received with bryopsis on the rock it was attached to.

I don't even know if what I did was right, but (among other things), I completely removed the rock it was attached to and dipped it. I wasnt even sure that was enough. I did significant damage to my coral in the process, but to me I'd rather have a dead coral than bryopsis.

The end result was the coral recovered fine and no bryopsis, but that's how much I fear bringing a problem in my tank.

I'd pass too.

Last edited:

Ceejai777

This guy made it seem as if EVERY tank has aiptasia and he said he's never seen a tank without them. I was going to get a RBTA from him in about a month but I passed on that, too. Nanoreefing4fun, your story just confirmed 1,000% how bad of an idea it is to KNOWINGLY purchase coral from an aiptasia infested tank. If yours got that bad without even seeing it and I can very clearly see good sized aiptasia...yikes. I dodged a bullet. I'm glad I asked for pics before he brought them to me.

soco

This guy made it seem as if EVERY tank has aiptasia and he said he's never seen a tank without them. I was going to get a RBTA from him in about a month but I passed on that, too. Nanoreefing4fun, your story just confirmed 1,000% how bad of an idea it is to KNOWINGLY purchase coral from an aiptasia infested tank. If yours got that bad without even seeing it and I can very clearly see good sized aiptasia...yikes. I dodged a bullet. I'm glad I asked for pics before he brought them to me.
Dude ya just cause u can't see em doest mean they're not there. Aiptasia is a bitch

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
They multiply like weeds... spent many an hour injecting Aiptasia-X but never could defeat them completely, finally added 3 peppermint shrimps (Lysmata Wurdemanni) and a few months latter they were gone or the peppermints are controlling

Aiptasia eaters - you want a TRUE Peppermint Shrimp (Lysmata Wurdemanni)

Many lfs sell peppermints that are not Lysmata Wurdemanni and don't know better...

(A) Lysmata wurdemanni
(B) Lysmata rathbunae
(C) Lysmata ankeri
(D) Lysmata boggessi
(E) Lysmata pederseni
(F) Lysmata bahia

PeppermintShrimpSpeciesAndrewLRhyneJundaLinBULLETINOFMARINESCIENCE79165ndash2042006_zps6fe83b6e.jpg

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Start a new tank thread & share your tank with us so we can follow along - we love pics :)

Pat24601

I bought a piece of coral and didn't see a piece of aiptsia on it for a few days and just plucked it off. No issue since. I think no matter what you buy, rock, fish , coral you risk introduction of some unwanted thing in your tank even if you take precautions.

I agree that anytime you add something to your tank you risk adding something you don't want...especially for those of us that are newer and don't know what to look for.

soco

I bought a piece of coral and didn't see a piece of aiptsia on it for a few days and just plucked it off. No issue since. I think no matter what you buy, rock, fish , coral you risk introduction of some unwanted thing in your tank even if you take precautions.
That's why a Qt tank is recommended lol I don't think most of us follow that rule tho

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Squatch XXL

Just to play the devils advocate, what are the bad aspects of aiptasia? I've always heard they were "terrible"
They are quite a bit like pulsing xenia, but a bit more hearty and very ugly. They spread all over, and terrible things like one going through a power head will make a real mess. Any piece of the species is enough to create a new polyp. They sting and irritate corals. They spread so fast that they can ruin a tank without quick actions. They are hard/nearly impossible to remove manually. All natural pest control comes in the form of a Peppermint shrimp or A specific nudibranch. Some tanks cannot support these critters, so extra care is needed. I don't know if any wrasses eat that type of nudibranch. They are sometimes called Bergia nudis...which I don't think is the correct name.

The science community however benefits from them. They are prolific, and used as an analog to other corals that may not spread as quickly. They certainly have their place, but as most salty tank keepers will tell you "They are bad news" or something to that effect...usually with more 4 letter words.

I had one that came in on a coral frag almost 6 months ago. The frag plug was $6 dollars, and all the zoas were on the side of the stem. It did not make sense till I got it home, and found an Aptasia directly on the center of the plug. First I took the ronson torch to it, than I encased it in super glue.....I then opened my brain to better idea, and just fragged off the zoas. The plug never made it to the tank. Qtanks are great for observation especially of these things.

@Ceejai777 I would never deal with any frag that had aptasia.....Unless I had a qtank and a long time to manually and naturally ensure 100% eradication. Anyone who acts like they are normal to have in a tank is either lying to you to sell a frag or is oblivious. Once you get them, they are nearly impossible to remove. Qtank everything. Keep these out of your tank.

That's why a Qt tank is recommended lol I don't think most of us follow that rule tho

I agree with this 100%. I too was one of the "Most". After introducing a species that is highly invasive, and doing massive steps to remove you learn some self control....Or get out of the hobby in frustration. A q-tank is the best way to enjoy piece of mind, but I do understand that Wives and parents etc can't see or understand why we need a second tank to observe new purchases. Simply, Most people cannot comprehend the mind of an addict

Last edited: