worm with a red body and white head?

bwhit1406

this guy was hauling butt all around my fuge this morning. I have never seen him before, he is a very fast swimmer. He also has a red line that streaks up his white head sorry for the crappy pics

013-2.jpg
[/IMG]
011-2.jpg
[/IMG]

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Hard to say but looks like a Bristle Worm. Try googling that and see if you find something that matches your picture.

bwhit1406

do bristle worms swim at full speed through the water column? These guy was darting all over the tank. It has two black dots at the head end.

The aquatic earthworm also belongs to Annelida and is segmented like a leech. There are more than 200 species of aquatic earthworm in North America. Many species look like the terrestrial earthworm, but many also have hairs or bristles on their tail for swimming. Most feed on the bottom muck but some are predacious. I haven't found these in trout feeding samples in our lakes but they would digest very quickly and be hard to identify.
They also live in saltwater...I give up

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That "free swimming" in the water column sounds very "leech-like", not at all like the bottom dwelling bristleworms I have. Hard to tell from the picture what it is, but the behavior doesn't sound like a bristleworm, unless I've missed seeing mine swimming around at night. :)