Woo-Hoo! My RSM 250 Arrives Today!

kyley

Yeah, I called Red Sea. Pinky was helpful (I think she was happy to hear I'd heard good things about her on this forum). I'm going to wait until I get the aquarium out of the box and inspect it before submitting a report - but it sounds like they'll take care of me.

Where do you guys buy your inverts online? I'd like to buy locally, but selection is very limited - hermit crabs are hermit crabs and snails are snails... OTOH, I hadn't noticed the $35 shipping fees before today - guess I should have known :(

David, I'm also looking at the Eshopps Reef Sump (RS-75) - the more I read about sumps and refugiums, the more I'm liking the idea... Having a refugium with macro algae would further reduce any need for the bioballs, right? Take care,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good deal on talking with Pinky. I've ordered inverts from both LiveAquaria and Saltwaterfish.com and not had problems with either.

I'm not sure you can run Chaeto in the RS-75. I have one - It's only a 2 section sump, with no refugium section. To get a sump/refugium combo that would fit you'd probably have to go DIY or get something custom from a place like LifeReef (expensive). I wouldn't worry about it till you get the tank up & running.

redsea reefer

David, I'm also looking at the Eshopps Reef Sump (RS-75) - the more I read about sumps and refugiums, the more I'm liking the idea... Having a refugium with macro algae would further reduce any need for the bioballs, right? Take care,
--Kyle

Kyle - The purpose of refugiums is to remove excess nutrients(Nitrates and Phosphates) that feed nuisance algae.

Bio-Balls house good bacteria that convert Ammonia to Nitrite then Nitrite to Nitrate. Then the refugium with macro algae use up the Nitrates and Phosphates before the nuisance algae can.

kyley

Not worrying about it - just looking forward to the future :) I need to learn more about sump setup and how the different compartments would work obviously...

Eddie, doesn't the live rock / sand do the same thing as the bio-balls? I'm learning here - it just sounded like some have found them to be unnecessary. As you may notice earlier in my thread, I'm trying to determine whether I should use them or not (that's why I was asking if a fuge further reduces the need for them - since there's more live rock/sand there - I guess not enough to make a difference). Thanks for clarifying the benefits of the refugium. I was also interested in it as a food source (copepods, mysis, and the macroalgae) and maybe as a space to keep a couple inverts (cucumber?) that I might not want in the main tank. Obviously early in this thought process... Thanks,
--Kyle

redsea reefer

Eddie, doesn't the live rock / sand do the same thing as the bio-balls? I'm learning here - it just sounded like some have found them to be unnecessary. As you may notice earlier in my thread, I'm trying to determine whether I should use them or not (that's why I was asking if a fuge further reduces the need for them - since there's more live rock/sand there - I guess not enough to make a difference). Thanks for clarifying the benefits of the refugium. I was also interested in it as a food source (copepods, mysis, and the macroalgae) and maybe as a space to keep a couple inverts (cucumber?) that I might not want in the main tank. Obviously early in this thought process... Thanks,
--Kyle

Correct, The reason why many do not use the bio-balls if you have sufficient live rock and sand(at least 1 pound per gallon) is because they trap detritus and add Nitrates to the water if not rinsed at least once a month. The sand and rock in the refugium also help in removing nutrients because of low flow, anaerobic bacteria populate these zones and also provide a breeding ground for Copepods and micro crustaceans with no predation from fish or inverts.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
kyle - different opinions on using the bio-media rings. I took mine out after a couple months and my nitrates dropped. My JBJ tank instructions said to not use them in setting up a reef tank as they're known to be nitrate generators. I let the bacteria in my rock do all the work, plus some Chemi-Pure Elite, and even though I'm overstocked my nitrates are typically 0, or maybe 2.5 if I skip a water change.

kyley

Terry and others using ChemiPure Elite, should I get this and add it to my tank from the start? Or wait until the tank has cycled and I've had inverts in it for a few days? Well, or not until my tank is well established - or not at all? :) I see a lot of people talking about it... Thanks,
--Kyle

Dweezil

I used the carbon that came with my tank first. Used that up and then when it was time to change switched to the ChemiPure Elite. No reason to waste the carbon.

TonyV

Cycle with stock carbon then switch out when you start adding live stock and food. Chemi-Pure elite has GFO, the carbon that came with your RSM does not.

Oakhouse

Or Just add a product like Rowaphos along side the carbon... Have been running both since CUC went in, as Chemi-pure is not available in the uk, and postage from the states is expensive. Seems to work for me.

kyley

Ahhh... All good to know - I thought it was a supplement to the carbon :) I'll use what i have for now. Thanks,
--Kyle

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Tony advise... is what I did :)

Cycle my tank with the stock carbon then switched it out to CPE when I start adding live stock.

kyley

Hey guys,
I mixed up my saltwater last night - then had to add some more this morning to get the right specific gravity. It's right around 1.024 (is that about right to start?). Anyway, I'll have to wait until tomorrow night to add any live rock / sand, right? The fresh SW is toxic to the rock / sand as well as inverts and such? I'm assuming so, but if I could get started with sand / live rock today - that would be good as it will be a busy weekend. Thanks,
--Kyle

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
My idea of ideal salinity (and Randy Holmes-Farleys) is 1.026 :)

Reef Aquarium Salinity: Homemade Calibration Standards by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I think you should be fine adding the live rock a few hours after the salt water has been mixed, should be fine... if you had Livestock (fish) in the tank it would be different - that my thinking anyway... I would think the life on your live rock, in the new tank, at optimum salinity & temperature & under a a few hours of light & running carbon, would be better for it, than whatever it's current state is...

redsea reefer

Kyle - If you mixed up most of the water yesterday and adding live rock and sand today, the rock and sand will be fine. You want your SG at 1.025-1.026.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I ran at 1.024 for my first several months with absolutely no problems with fish or corals. But, I run at 1.025 - 1.026 now. You'll be fine adding the rock 7 sand - I added my fully cured rock a day after the water, and the life that remained on it (shrooms, zoas, GSP) were opening up within a few hours.

kyley

OK, cool. I'll add some salt now and try to raise it up to 1.026. Then tonight if I have time I'll try to add the live rock / sand - but that might have to wait until tomorrow.

I have a scattering of salt crystals at the bottom of the tank that refuse to dissolve - I assume that's normal?

For the RSM 250, how many pounds of sand do I need? I think I'd like to have 2 - 2 1/2" deep. I don't have the RSM starter sand (thought that came with mine but didn't). Thanks,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That insoluble precipitate swirling around the bottom of the tank is typical when mixing SW in the tank. It may never dissolve, but it's not a problem.

I'll let a 250 owner answer on the sand. It'll depend on what you plan to keep too - burrowing fish like jawfish may need a greater depth.