Woo-Hoo! My RSM 250 Arrives Today!

kyley

:) Yay, it's arriving earlier than expected (was supposed to be Friday). Now I need to start prepping my water! I bought the 5 stage Chloramine Plus unit from BulkReefSupply and have that all setup. A couple quick, simple newbie questions for now:

1. I got some Rubbermaid trash cans (32 gallon on wheels) and home depot paint buckets for mixing my water. Do I need to do anything to clean these? I rinsed them with tap water and a wiped them down with a washcloth. Is that sufficient?

2. I don't have anything to mix 65 gallons in! I assume I should just mix the saltwater in my two 32 gallon trash cans and a couple of 5 gallon buckets - just making sure the specific gravity is right in each?

3. After mixing the saltwater, it needs to sit for a day or so before I add live sand and live rock, right? I'm buying both of those locally, so I plan to add them directly to the tank and then pump in the water - sound about right?

4. Oh, for all you RSM users, do you use the biomedia (and everything else that came with your RSM for that matter), or are some of you just using the live rock / sand instead? Thought I saw someone posting about that...

5. Any other advice to get me started? Other than go slow, etc. - got that part... :) I'll probably watch the RSM DVD with my son tonight and start putting it together (not sure how much there is to do on that).

I'm excited to get started! I'll slowly get this up and running and at some point post some pics (won't be much to look at for awhile!). Thanks,
--Kyle

redsea reefer

:) Yay, it's arriving earlier than expected (was supposed to be Friday). Now I need to start prepping my water! I bought the 5 stage Chloramine Plus unit from BulkReefSupply and have that all setup. A couple quick, simple newbie questions for now:

1. I got some Rubbermaid trash cans (32 gallon on wheels) and home depot paint buckets for mixing my water. Do I need to do anything to clean these? I rinsed them with tap water and a wiped them down with a washcloth. Is that sufficient?

A good rinse should be enough, do they have the recycle symbol with the number 1 or 2 in it?

2. I don't have anything to mix 65 gallons in! I assume I should just mix the saltwater in my two 32 gallon trash cans and a couple of 5 gallon buckets - just making sure the specific gravity is right in each?

Yup, I recommend getting a Marine Depot Aquarium Refractometer to check Specific gravity. Hydrometers are not accurate. The Temperature and Ph should match also.

3. After mixing the saltwater, it needs to sit for a day or so before I add live sand and live rock, right? I'm buying both of those locally, so I plan to add them directly to the tank and then pump in the water - sound about right?

The fresh saltwater should be circulated and aerated for a min of 24hrs before use. Fresh made SW is toxic.

4. Oh, for all you RSM users, do you use the biomedia (and everything else that came with your RSM for that matter), or are some of you just using the live rock / sand instead? Thought I saw someone posting about that...

I don't use the bio-balls in my tank and many others also, they turn to detritus traps over time and add Nitrates. If you have at least 60 pounds of live rock, then do not use the bio balls. Some people do but they frequently pull them out and clean them once a month.

5. Any other advice to get me started? Other than go slow, etc. - got that part... :) I'll probably watch the RSM DVD with my son tonight and start putting it together (not sure how much there is to do on that).

RESEARCH will be your best friend, it will save you time, money and problems down the road. So good luck with your tank and start a thread on it... If you haven't read this do, good info here...http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/just-starting-out-sw-beginners/33555-look-frequently-asked-questions.html

I'm excited to get started! I'll slowly get this up and running and at some point post some pics (won't be much to look at for awhile!). Thanks,
--Kyle

kyley

Thanks Eddie - I'll probably start a thread on the tank once there's actually something in it :)

Yeah, they're all #2 plastics. I do have a refractometer (no-name off of eBay, but looks the same as all the others I'd seen).

On the bio-balls, good to know that they're not necessary for a tank with live rock. I think I'll probably start with them while everything's new and curing (could probably use the extra filtration) and then phase them out. See any issues with that?

Thanks,
--Kyle

redsea reefer

Thanks Eddie - I'll probably start a thread on the tank once there's actually something in it :)

Yeah, they're all #2 plastics. I do have a refractometer (no-name off of eBay, but looks the same as all the others I'd seen).

On the bio-balls, good to know that they're not necessary for a tank with live rock. I think I'll probably start with them while everything's new and curing (could probably use the extra filtration) and then phase them out. See any issues with that?

Thanks,
--Kyle

Kyle - Your welcome... Its best to start out without the bio-balls if your eventually going to remove it so that all the good bacteria populate the rocks and sand not the bio balls...

kyley

Hmm... Okay, thanks for clarifying. Maybe I'll start without them - have some thinking to do on that. Will I bypass that whole section of the back of the tank then? I don't plan to start with 100% live rock / sand (some dry base rock and the dry sand that comes with the RSM 250). Not sure if that makes much of a difference. BTW, no issues with the RSM sand I assume? Thanks,
--Kyle

redsea reefer

Hmm... Okay, thanks for clarifying. Maybe I'll start without them - have some thinking to do on that. Will I bypass that whole section of the back of the tank then? I don't plan to start with 100% live rock / sand (some dry base rock and the dry sand that comes with the RSM 250). Not sure if that makes much of a difference. BTW, no issues with the RSM sand I assume? Thanks,
--Kyle

No, not the entire back section, your gonna want to use the carbon and filters. If your gonna use dry base rock then your are going to have to seed it with some live rock, 50/50 is good. The dry sand and base rock will become live with time, it just takes a little longer...The RSM sand is fine.

kyley

Yeah, I'll be using at least 50% live rock - and probably about 20 pounds of live sand mixed with the RSM sand.

I've been reading about sumps, and like the idea of having one in the stand with a refugium, but that's a ways off... Thanks,
--Kyle

redsea reefer

Yeah, I'll be using at least 50% live rock - and probably about 20 pounds of live sand mixed with the RSM sand.

I've been reading about sumps, and like the idea of having one in the stand with a refugium, but that's a ways off... Thanks,
--Kyle

Sounds like a good plan Kyle...Good luck with your tank!

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Good luck with the new tank Kyley! Great advice from Eddie - I'll agree with everything he said.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Welcome...Good luck and have fun!!! Take your time and read, read, read!!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Kyle - congrats !!!

I run the bio-media & rinse it monthly, mine looks like new, imo one of the biggest reasons to run it is flow... with the bio-media in the carbon (or chemi-pure elite) sits on top of the bio-media & allows for better flow & allows for the water to pass through the carbon more effectively than having it just sit at the bottom of the chamber of death (back left hand side), where it is very easy for the flow/water to by-pass the carbon, rather than run through it. If you clean the bio-media regularly, it won't be a nitrate trap - imo, mine is not.

on side-note... if you every one day, upgrade to a 9002 skimmer & Stevie media rack, then they would not be needed at all, I just use mine as a spacer.

food for thought... I run my RSM by the book and stock. Looking forward to to seeing your tank thread & pics !

Good Luck !!!

Nowellsy SNR

Congrats your going to love your new tank there a great tank and look fantastic im still to see a better looking tank IMO!!!

tnwillia

Kyle.... I didn't see anyone say it but this is the 1 time you can mix salt in your tank. Don't need to do it in buckets/trash can on brand new tank. Just fill it with RO/DI and add the salt. Let one or both your circulation pumps run to mix it. Run the heater to get temp up where you want it. Have fun!

Dweezil

Yep, I agree with Tom. The first time you will not need the buckets. What I did was buy enough tubing and ran it from my RO/DI until straight into the RSM. (Make sure you leave enough room to compensate for adding rock and sand) heat the water and then mix the salt right into the tank. This is the only time you will ever be able to do this. Then just use your rubbermaid bins for water changes. Good luck and keep us posted.

kyley

Tom, Tammy, thanks for those notes. Mixing in the tank should be much easier indeed. Although, I'd planned to assemble the live rock without the water inside, but if I did that my live rock would be dying anyway, so I'll just do it wet! :)

Just got the tank moved to my basement - now to start assembly! Wow, that beast is heavy! Thanks again,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
kyley - just be sure to siphon some SW out before putting the rock in. Otherwise the volume of the rock will displace enough water to have it sloshing over the sides. In other words, don't make the mistake I did! :)

David Shaw

I got the 130D and I bought live sand as i didn't get "the kit" that comes with the RSM 250's. I got the LFS to put an equivalent pack together for me (live sand, test kits, refractometer, thermometer) and i am glad i did, the RSM test kits and hydrometer get bad reviews on here.

I personally preferred the live sand as its smaller grains. I put in a depth of 2 inches, then i added a lot of live indonesian rock with lots of coraline on it. I didnt put in any dead rock at all. Then i added the RO salt water i got from the same LFS.

My big mistake was adding the water once i had it all set up and THEN deciding i wasn't happy with the aqua-scaping, i spent weeks (months) fiddling and tweaking until i was happy with it.

I personally didn't mount a lot of the rock against the back wall as i wanted good flow and the ability to clean the back glass (am OCD about clean glass)

I was thinking it would be simple, get the tank, get the rock, add the water and good to go. How wrong was I ! Months of modifying and re-aqua-scaping later i am happy at last (for now)... I must admit though the tweaking and fiddling is half the fun, annoying, but fun.

The forums here are excellent for advice, only problem is once you see other peoples modifications and additions and that little voice starts "oh, that sounds good, i must get one of those" :)

kyley

Ugh - two of my lights were broken (one of each size) and I didn't receive the bag of sand. :( Maybe I wasn't supposed to receive the sand - I see now it says it's only part of the "Deluxe" starter kit.

David, "Oh, that sounds good" - Yeah, I've already done too much of that, ha ha! Before my tank arrived I had already received algae magnets, a refractometer, Coralife aqua gloves, JBJ ATO, a Maxi-Jet 1800 pump, Jager heater, a Kent Marine feeding prong, and a Koralia 1 pump and AquaEuroUSA 1/10 chiller are on the way. I had a 15% off one time coupon (dangerous) so I bought a lot of stuff early. :) I'm not sure yet if I need the chiller yet (sounds likely), but it was only $190 shipped. If I find out I don't need it, I'll sell it. Take care,
--Kyle