Willie's plywood adventure

Jeremy0322

basile,I hope you posted pics in your thread,I'll go look....I have a special treat for you,I have my glass in the tank all siliconed in,my neighbor came over and helped me,we got in in there,the silicon is a mess,we got it all over everything,so I have some cleaning to do,...I'm uploading pics to photobucket...I'll have 'em here in a bit

:bouncer: :chair:

Willie McDaries

here is the glass test fit
HPIM3017.jpg

and here propped up so I could stick the bumpers in and silicon
HPIM3025.jpg

here is the little bumpers about 12" apart
HPIM3020.jpg

here you can see the silicon all squeeze out every where,and the little bumper
HPIM3027.jpg

Willie McDaries

Awesome work! This tank is going to be awesome

thanks jeremy,
I got home from work and didn't really feel like working on it but,my neighbor had to work tomorrow so I got him to help my with it today,it'll be a week or so before I can do a water test,but its in there now :)

Jeremy0322

thanks jeremy,
I got home from work and didn't really feel like working on it but,my neighbor had to work tomorrow so I got him to help my with it today,it'll be a week or so before I can do a water test,but its in there now :)

hey man, progress is progress. When its all set up you will be like "thank god I didnt want that extra day" Trust me on that one :lol:

Willie McDaries

my motto has always been....why do today what you can put off until tomorrow :)

but I needed help so I had to do it today,and I am glad its in there,it wont be long now,I wont be able to move the tank by myself any more,its heavy :)

Basile

Amazing man, cool, i'm sorry i'll mist the first few weeks of this, since i'll be gone. But i'll check back for sure.

Willie McDaries

Amazing man, cool, i'm sorry i'll mist the first few weeks of this, since i'll be gone. But i'll check back for sure.

basile,its still gonna be a while before it ready to set up in the house,but I'll keep updating as I get more done.....I did get my overflow teeth siliconed on it today,and fastened the top bracing permanently,

I had glass-holes.com cut these out for me....when they posted them on their web site,they labeled 'em "Custom Dentures for Willie":bouncer: :laughroll :bouncer: those guys are nuts

HPIM3035.jpg

Basile

Hey thats cool! blue the same color than the tank. lol Ya gramma's denture; she's got a mounth on her lol. Better use polygrip tol make it hold lol.I'm nut i know.

Willie McDaries

Hey thats cool! blue the same color than the tank. lol Ya gramma's denture; she's got a mounth on her lol. Better use polygrip tol make it hold lol.I'm nut i know.

:bouncer: :laugh: I didn't think of the polygrip,it might hold better than silicon

the color is a little off,but its close enough :)

I like nutty people :)

Jeremy0322

:bouncer: :laugh: I didn't think of the polygrip,it might hold better than silicon

the color is a little off,but its close enough :)

I like nutty people :)

You probably wont even notice the color after a while, algae will fade everything unless you keep an immaculate tank. I was wondering looking at them though, how deep are the teeth?

Willie McDaries

You probably wont even notice the color after a while, algae will fade everything unless you keep an immaculate tank. I was wondering looking at them though, how deep are the teeth?

the teeth are 1" long Jeremy....I really didn't need the bottom part as long as it is,but didn't know for sure when I ordered them,so I made sure they would be enough to cover the holes,and still have sufficient surface to silicon too....the whole thing could have been 2" tall,with half that being teeth, and still worked

I've never had an immaculate tank,I am way too lazy for that.......I just don't think it'd be as healthy a tank if you keep it spotless,most of that nastiness on the walls is beneficial,to an extent.....but thats my story and I'm sticking to it..... :)

Willie McDaries

from the bottom of the tank to mid way of the teeth is 24",thats about where I figure my running water level will be,but we'll see....that would make the tank about 360 gallons,if I calculated correctly

JoJo

congrats on the progress, the light at the end of the tunnel is shining brighter by the day. lol

Willie McDaries

basile,this is for you bro :) its half full and no leaks yet,I'll leave it like this for a few days then fill it on up,if no leaks develop....my silicon was cured on the inside and the outside but its probably still not in the center of the gasket,but to my understanding,the moisture helps with the curing....

HPIM3040.jpg

HPIM3044.jpg

HPIM3041.jpg

HPIM3045.jpg

the wife ask me the day before yesterday how long the silicon would take to cure...I told her on the tube it says 24 hr...she said I couldn't wait that long.....I showed her........it was about 36 hrs.....I couldn't stand it no longer :)

Willie McDaries

you probably can't tell in the pics,but I grinning from ear to ear :)

I have a mess to clean from the frame....who ever said silicon doesn't adhere good to epoxy has never had to cut it off

Last edited:

Frankie

RS STAFF
All right! Mission control the glass has landed!
I have been waiting for this. Now this project is going to start picking up speed. As an experienced tank builder I have come to believe all silicone takes a minimum of 14 days to fully cure.
Keep up the good work Willie! I will need to start keeping a closer eye on this thread now. :thumbup::thumbup: