Why is my Colt Coral shrinking?

Spammie33

Hey guys, I got a colt coral about a week ago and it has been shrinking ever since and doesn't open up like it did in the fish store... It is placed in the bottom of my tank where there is a medium flow, also there is no other corals surrounding it. Water seems fine. I dont know if something has been bothering or not. Currently its shrunk and some small parts of it is secreting some brownish slime/mucus. Is it dying? Should I wait it out? Thanks.

saltfan

Water seems fine ? It is classified as an easy coral. Dont you have a fish only tank? What type of lighting do you have? This coral requires moderate to high lighting and medium to strong current.

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
sometimes these soft corals will pout for a while, especially after an environment change, ie moving from store tank to your tank. They also sometimes shrivel and shed a layer of skin/slime.

Spammie33

Yes I have a fish only tank with a couple of corals (flower pot, tree coral, leather coral which are fine), I have t5 lighting.

kyle4201

I have a HUGE one of these and Im seeing white spots on mine,, like its dying but just in a couple little tiny spots. Would like to see a pic of yours, ill put one up when I get home

Spammie33

I just noticed a white spot of mine this morning and its secreting more mucous? I think im gonna have to take it out and smell it to see if its still alive /:

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
move it up in the tank. under t5s with 8 bulbs or less in most tanks they want to be medium to high in the tank. they like moderate water flow.

Spammie33

Small part of it seem like their deteriorating, you can see the white inside tissue, i quickly smelled it and it didnt smell bad. It has some worms on it, is this normal? I'm really concerned. I will post another pic asap

Spammie33

This is what its looking like right now, It has small worms on it along with some slime. I'm off to the store to buy some Revive. Will that help? Im panicking.

kyle4201

Here is pix of mine,, and is it just me or can no1 else see her pix?
20131118_184043_zps641ee875.jpg
20131118_184037_zps218becc4.jpg

Akshay

They need good flow & strong light. If you see worms it's mostly detiorating & the worms are just cleaning up dead tissue. How many days has it been since it started to go down? If the store doesnt help & it looks like its gonna go completely down hill, you can try fraggin a healthy tissue as a backup.
By the way how is the horseshoe crab doing?

Spammie33

Its been down around 4-5 days, I just dipped him in "Coral-rx", that is what the man at the reef store recommended. Some worms fell of of it, its extremely shrunken, but it still doesnt smell bad, so hopefully it gets better.

Oh, my horshoe is fine, its been a couple of days since I've seen him though haha. I try to feed him each time he comes out

Spammie33

Wow Kyle, yeah your colt coral looks SO MUCH better than mine, I think mine is just too far gone to be honest

kyle4201

Wow Kyle, yeah your colt coral looks SO MUCH better than mine, I think mine is just too far gone to be honest

Yea, im sorry to hear about yours. Im just worried about my white spots. Also,, my horseshoe crab, I didnt see him for like a month, I just figured he died under the sand and the natural process would take care of him. Last week,, almost jumped,, he was doing the back stroke across the tank, settled in the sand and crawled around a bit. LOL, Stimpy is fine and ill keep an eye out 4 him. Dont worry if you dont see him 4 a while. :)

Spammie33

Yea, im sorry to hear about yours. Im just worried about my white spots. Also,, my horseshoe crab, I didnt see him for like a month, I just figured he died under the sand and the natural process would take care of him. Last week,, almost jumped,, he was doing the back stroke across the tank, settled in the sand and crawled around a bit. LOL, Stimpy is fine and ill keep an eye out 4 him. Dont worry if you dont see him 4 a while. :)

Yeah! I actually started worrying like 2 weeks ago when I didnt see him for a couple of weeks... so I searched for him and woke him up lol