Which cycles rock faster

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
What's up guys. I'm taking a vote. What cycles a tank faster. Adding an ammonia source ie shrimp or seeding with live rock.

My votes the rock.

.............stay thirsty my friend.

dmatt88

Ah. The old playing both sides of the fence trick.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
If you're talking about "base rock" compared to Fresh, well cared for Live Rock there really is no comparison. The Live Rock (so long as not a lot of die-off during transport and handing) is already heavily colonized with the beneficial bacteria. Depending on how long out of water and such you could see little to no "visible" cycle.

I'm with JJ as I always toss a shrimp in just to "Push It". Why risk it when you can "Shrimp It"!!!

redneckgearhead

If you add LR to your tank the cycle is started immediately. Or am I missing something? If the rock is "Live" it should have the nitrifying bacteria already on/in it.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I went with cured live rock and threw two shrimp in.......broken down very quickly.....reassured me that the rock was ready to go. Shrimp does a nice job but rock is better.

Now using dead rock, it would be interesting to see if shrimp or Dr. Tim's was faster.

TylerHaworth

Given the choice of one or the other I'd go with pre-established live rock, but deli shrimp are so cheap it's silly to not use em both =)

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
some random thought... related

LR that is very fresh with lots of die off on it or LR "cured" from an established tank ?

That's what seems so hard to define, the state ones new LR.

and the fact that LFS sell cured rock for more $$$ than uncured LR and call various states of LR cured to increase profit.

then we get into the whole definition of that is a cycled tank?

Is that a tank that we can safely add livestock too, one that has establishing a biological filter (i.e. cultivating a bacteria colony) having gone through the Nitrogen cycle?

Ammonia is needed for the cycling process to succeed. It can be produced in several ways, but usually it comes from dead decomposing matter... Organisms and bacteria that live in and on the LR die when the rock is transported from the ocean to the dealer, this decomposition process produces ammonia that is very beneficial to the bacteria and starts the process, often a shrimp just helps boost this... how long the LR sat in a tank at the LSF plays a big role in this.

My 1st tank, the LFS order Tonga Branch LR for me and it was flown in, pick up from the airport very fresh with lots of die-off and "uncured" I wanted this & though it was a good way to cycle a tank, though "cured" LR they had in thier tanks for a month would have been faster. I still added a shrimp :)

This subject & the fact that there are more than one way to "cycle" a tank (like adding pure ammonia) always make for interesting discussions. Then there are all the new additives & commercial products, some with bacteria while others consist of enzymes that say you can add them & add fish with the tank being "ready to use in as little as 24 hours" which I readily admit I don't understand.

some of my thoughts... anyway - see what others think

on my 2nd tank I went with 80% Marco Dry Rock, 20% LR from LFS (unsure of the state - cured or fresh) and 2 deli shrimp... that worked well too :dance:

dmatt88

Reason for the question is dean bought a 29 biocube for his office. We added 30lbs of dry rock. I told him if we add a few pieces of our live rock its cycled virtually immediately however only able to support a small bioload. Yet being a 29 will a few pieces of our rock be enough? Office tanks r trickey cause clients don't enjoy looking at rocks as much as we do.

engineer goby

Reason for the question is dean bought a 29 biocube for his office. We added 30lbs of dry rock. I told him if we add a few pieces of our live rock its cycled virtually immediately however only able to support a small bioload. Yet being a 29 will a few pieces of our rock be enough? Office tanks r trickey cause clients don't enjoy looking at rocks as much as we do.

My clients do :wit:

steved13

PREMIUM
I look at them as 2 different things. The live rock is to provide the bacteria, the ammonia source is to feed and cultivate the bacteria.

lethal

I've only ever cycled 1 tank and I used live rock and a shrimp for good measure.