• Marine Environment 2 part

Votes: 8 1.2%
  • Bio-Sea

Votes: 6 0.9%
  • Other (please specify below...)

Votes: 56 8.1%

• Total voters

snaz

I'm not sure and I dont want to cause any arguments, but I'm thinking that there is a huge mark up on IO, because all LFS seem to recomend it.

If you own a LFS and you could make more mony by selling brand A, wouldnt you recommend Brand A over Brand B?

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Oceanic

I used to use IO for years but switched to Oceanic salt a long time ago. I am very familiar with both the salts strengths and weakness and have chosen to stick with Oceanic. Here are some testing results of newly made oceanic salt using ro/di done today:

(NOTE: the alk supplement is the wrong type thus the drop in PH :rolleyes: I am on the hunt for a true sodium carbonate supplement that will raise the PH and alk. I expect 1/4 teaspoon of a carbonate supplement per 5 gal will fix the PH and alk perfectly.)

Temp = 78.6
Salinity = 35 ppt
PH = 8.06
Alk = 2.86 meg/l
Ca = 480 ppm
mg = 1530 ppm

AFTER adding Seachem's Reef Builder (sodium BIcarbonate):
PH = 7.99
Alk = 4.28 meg/l
Ca = 450 ppm

Again... a true sodium carbonate supplement of approx 1/4 teaspoon per 5 gal will raise the alk and the PH to perfect levels. Even with this needed adjustment, I am happy with the salt's performance.

Mad Mike

I'm using IO but have recently noticed when I mix I get like a film on the top of the bucket. Seems kinda heavy and glossy. Any ideas what this is? When I mix I dont airate but I do circulate with a PH.

reefjitsu

I have been using Oceanic since it came out with no issues. I also use IO occasionally, mostly when I can't get Oceanic. Do any of you guys mix your salt before adding it to water? I always have wondered if the weird reactions and readings that people get from salts is not due to settling and stratification of ingredients. I always mix up my salt before making fresh SW to counteract the effects of settling that occur during shipping. I have been told that manufacturers go to great lengths to achieve uniform particle size, but the ingedients still have different weights and so will settle into different layers in the container due to vibrations during shipping. Just a theory of mine what do you guys think?

Craig Manoukian

Great theory RJ! I have to agree with your analysis.

I always mix a concentrated slurry of 25 gallon salt, Marine Environment 2 Part salt, in a five gallon bucket. I then stir the slurry and add to water until I get 1.026 in Specific Gravity measured via refractometer. I've never had any negative issues over a 3 1/2 year period.

Shells

Craig Manoukian said:
I always mix a concentrated slurry of 25 gallon salt, Marine Environment 2 Part salt, in a five gallon bucket. I then stir the slurry and add to water until I get 1.026 in Specific Gravity measured via refractometer. I've never had any negative issues over a 3 1/2 year period.

Great Idea guys. I'm gonna try this. =) Question, do
you store this slurry as is, covered? Or do you mix
imediately into your R/O water???

Last edited by a moderator:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Hummmm.... to slurry or not to slurry...

How much salt can you manage to mix into 5 gallons of water? I guess there is a thick sediment that settles?

Craig Manoukian

Woodstock said:
How much salt can you manage to mix into 5 gallons of water? I guess there is a thick sediment that settles?

I use a 25 gallon rated bag of salt and mix the slurry in warm water. I stir the slurry vigouresly before adding it to water to the proper dilution. I've never had any suspension or mixing problems Doni.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Craig Manoukian said:
I use a 25 gallon rated bag of salt and mix the slurry in warm water. I stir the slurry vigouresly before adding it to water to the proper dilution. I've never had any suspension or mixing problems Doni.

Thanks Craig. I may try a slurry.

Craig Manoukian

Shells,

I have a five gallon bucket with a tight lid and it keeps for months. I use it on an as needed basis.

Doni,

It is very convenient for sure.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I have decided to stop doing W/C's and just run my skimmer very wet and see what happens. I will use the leftover Crystal Sea salt for emergencies only. All the elements will be added through the daily Kalk addition and 2 part when necessary and foods. This is only a test ! I will keep a close eye on parameters and if anything happens then I'm back to regular W/C's with probably Crystal sea salt. I don't forsee any problems my tank is well established and has a mature SB.

NaH2O

Contributing Member
Robert, I'm curious if you are concerned at all about the loss of magnesium and stontium, or are you planning on adding as a separate supplement when needed?

Quote in regards to Magnesium in kalkwasser
It also turns out that magnesium is very insoluble at high pH. In limewater, its low solubility can result in precipitation of magnesium hydroxide on the bottom of a limewater reservoir. This precipitation limits how much of the magnesium in the lime is delivered to aquaria, as will be shown below.

From this: Magnesium and Stontium in Limewater.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Nikki in addition to kalkwasser I also use WarnerMarine 2 part which has all the elements I need and then you have food. For example I add a sea vegetable for my Purple Tang and that contains 200% Iodine and 6 % Magnesium so since we have an overabundence of these elements already I don't see a need to suplement them, but I will keep an eye on them for sure and if necessary will suplement or go back to W/C's.