Which ATO system works best for the RSM250?

reefhusker

I lived w/out it for a while but can honestly say that the Tunze ATO was one of the better purchases I have made in this hobby!
Very easy install!

RSM250PEARL

How sensitive is the tunze ato? I mean what is the lowest setting that you can set it so it comes on and starts to up, is it measured in mm's or what?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The Tunze ATO uses an optical sensor with a cone shaped tip for water level. As soon as the water level gets below the tip of the optical sensor it turns the ATO pump on. When the level covers the tip of the sensor it shuts thee pump off. Water level is controlled very accurately - I'd guess a couple mm's. The second sensor is a float switch - if the water level gets too high it shuts the ATO pump off and sounds an audible alarm.

The optical sensor works in the dark - I'm not sure how, but it does. :)

reefhusker

The only MINOR issue with mine is that if I ever let my reservoir bucket run dry and my pump sucks air then I sometimes have to suck on the hose to get to pump again. Otherwise it will continue to turn off and on trying to get the water level up. Luckily this is fresh water so it doesnt taste bad if you suck too long.:yummy:

One question : If I need to get my salinity up due to salt creep can I put salt water through the ATO pump?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
When I would dose Ca & alk in my sump the Tunze ATO would after a while get a Ca deposit on it, and it wouldn't turn the pump on when the water dropped below it. An hour soak in vinegar removed the deposit.

You could add SW via ATO, but I'm not sure if it will cause a build up on the Tunze pump. I used to add Kalkwasser via the ATO water and after a short while the pump seized up from calcium deposits. Luckily I keep a spare. Short term this might be OK, but it might be easier to do with water changes.

reefhusker

Not to get too far off topic but would I assume it be ok to add higher salinity water when doing a WC w/out hurting anything. Or maybe do a little less % WC and do it over a few WC's?

sleydsman

Since I got a chiller, and quit using the accesory fans, top of is needed every 4-5 days with a cup or two of ro/di water. much easier:yehoo:

RSM250PEARL

Since I got a chiller, and quit using the accesory fans, top of is needed every 4-5 days with a cup or two of ro/di water. much easier:yehoo:

It's amazing how much those fans contribute to evaporation, my temps have been creeping up so I've also had a hang on fan blowing accross the top of the water at the front. I wanted to get a chiller and a ATO, would it be unnecessary to get both then? Would be nice to have the temps under controll with the chiller, and not have to worry about the top ups with the ATO but if evap with a chiller and fans off is so minimal it wouldn't be too hard to manually to up when needed I suppose.

imaccat

I have a chiller and ATO, and I could probably do without the ATO because there isn't much evaporation as I don't run the surface fans, but I think it helps keep the water level constant and therefore there is no need to do any adjustment onthe skimmer gate or air valve

RSM250PEARL

I have a chiller and ATO, and I could probably do without the ATO because there isn't much evaporation as I don't run the surface fans, but I think it helps keep the water level constant and therefore there is no need to do any adjustment onthe skimmer gate or air valve

That is exactly why I want to get both, hassle free operation, thanks.

steved13

PREMIUM
I have a chiller and I still use the surface fans, they keep the hood more dry and the chiller doesn't need to work as hard/often. Of course I have a sump so either way I'm going to have evaporation so the ATO is great.

Magick88

Hello,

great thread!

I am also running the Tunze ATO and it was a great investment. The water level remains very consistant. The model out now has the magnets for the two sensors which makes it very easy to install. I also fitted mine in the RHS chamber the same as Iain. If you run chiller pipes from that chamber as I do, it is a little harder fitting it in but it does work.

Lethal, I also have chiller and would like to install ATO in my RHS (the same chiller is in) - is that your configuration? If so, what are your water container dimension?

I am also very interested in other tips for ATO water container - do I do a regular tank? Or can use any plastic container? Any other tips?

Installing ATO scare me a bit - I am not DIY type at all - hope it is as easy as you make it sound ;-)

One more question - how do you turn the surface fans off? I am at work now, it it one of this switches near timer? Or you just take them out?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
You can store the water in a plastic container, just make sure the container is a food grade/food safe container. Any of the rubbermaid products work just fine.

the surface fans are controlled by one of the two switches next to the timer on top. One is for the moonlights, the other for the fans.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
+1 ^ Totally agree with everything Greg said. I just use a 10 litre plastic bucket which sits in the left hand side of the cabinet. This lasts me about a week before I have to refill it.