Which ATO system works best for the RSM250?

RSM250PEARL

I'm really interested in getting an auto top off system to avoid the daily adjustments to the weir shutter due to evaporation so the sump water level always remains at the optimal level. So from the experience of other RSM owners which brand works best with the RSM250 and where is the optimal location to position it? Thanks in advance guys :wave:

imaccat

Hi and welcome to RS,

I have a Tunze ATO with the water container in the left hand cabinet and the sensor unit in the right hand chamber. It works great for me, has the overlow alarm, magnetic fittings and needs no drilling etc to fit. It's one of the best bits of kit that I have.

It would be great to see some pictures of your set up.

Cheers

tnwillia

I use the JBJ ATO, very happy with it! I only had it in the take for a short time before going to a Sump. I had 1 sensor in the Left chamber and 1 in the water supply jug. Good luck!

steved13

PREMIUM
Welcome!!!

I use the Tunze osmolator. Easy to install comes with everything except a container for the top off water, and works very well. I originally had it in the right side chamber easy install with the magnets. I now have a sump and have moved it there.

RSM250PEARL

Hi and welcome to RS,

I have a Tunze ATO with the water container in the left hand cabinet and the sensor unit in the right hand chamber. It works great for me, has the overlow alarm, magnetic fittings and needs no drilling etc to fit. It's one of the best bits of kit that I have.

Cheers

Sounds great I will research that one thanks for the suggestion.

RSM250PEARL

Welcome!!!

I use the Tunze osmolator. Easy to install comes with everything except a container for the top off water, and works very well. I originally had it in the right side chamber easy install with the magnets. I now have a sump and have moved it there.

Is that the same as imaccats one?

The Tunze ATO is great and takes longer to decide where to install than to do it. If you are planning to run a chiller, top off will be minimal and you won't need to run the cooling fans at the back which evaporates a lot of water.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
I am also running the Tunze ATO and it was a great investment. The water level remains very consistant. The model out now has the magnets for the two sensors which makes it very easy to install. I also fitted mine in the RHS chamber the same as Iain. If you run chiller pipes from that chamber as I do, it is a little harder fitting it in but it does work.

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Yes Glenn, that is the one that I have. Are you thinking of getting one too?

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I have always manually top the 130D & have the 250 so far, but 250 uses quite a bit, no chiller & fans running all time...

if it was "so easy" even I could install it, I might give it a go :)

Alice's "The Tunze ATO is great and takes longer to decide where to install than to do it."

intrigued me

steved13

PREMIUM
if it was "so easy" even I could install it, I might give it a go :)

I think it says that on the box...wait here it is...

"so easy a Glenn could do it" LOL

Seriously Glenn, I'm sure you could do it, very easy. Adjusting the sensor level takes a little time but with the magnets it's very easy.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Thanks Steve... when I was younger, I use to like replace water pumps on the car & starters, even pulled the heads once... but after a while I started paying to have everything like that done & now have become quite DIY inept
025.gif

RSM250PEARL

Hi and welcome to RS,

Cheers

I was looking through the mods thread and came across the picture of your ATO setup actually, I'll refer to it when I come to install one thanks.