What the heck is this?????

Snelly40

the other day near my blue mushrooms my dad and i noticed this, and we thought maybe it was a rogue mushroom, then we noticed it moved. Today it was in the front of my tank so i could get some pics...
it has the look of a weird snail, maybe a type of nudi??
what you think??

DSCN1034.jpg

DSCN1035.jpg

DSCN1036.jpg

DSCN1037.jpg

is it ok, take it out? what is it???

Surfnut

Re: WTF is this?????

definitely a mollusk of some sort. It almost looks like a species of abalone.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM

It's either a Black keyhole limpet or a chiton of some sort. It's pretty, whatever it is!

Snelly40

hey guys, thanks for the input so far. Im glad u guys like how he looks, i do too and i jsut wanna make sure he is safe. I think he is as ive only seen him on the rocks and nowhere near any coral and no coral at all is missing any parts at all, but i still wanna make sure :)

framerguy

looks very much like a Stomatella varia which come in many colors. I haven't seen blue ones, but I have seen black, red, tan, and greenish.

aftbn

I've had them in my tank for months and they act just like any other snail, I have seen them cause no damage to any of the coral in my tank. I have however witnessed them reproducing. It is strang when two of them meet they stand up a each emit a small white clound into the water. Again I've had them in my tank for months without any appearent ill effects. At night the young come out of the sand and gravel and clean any algae of my glass. Not only do I have the black ones similair to your but I ve them in other colors as well. I researched them and the closest I've come to Identifying them is that they are related to abalone.

Stacef

It looks like a Stomatella varia like Greg said. Same here I have never seen blue ones, but have seen tanish ones. I know that Mario got some as hitchhikers. Search for his thread !!!20g for reals!!!. He has some nice photos of them that are brown.

They have eaten a LOT of his algae in his tank and harmed nothing.

Surfnut

Ive never seen a blue stomatella myself, hence why I surmised it may have been a species of abalone; Tho,.. Stomatella was on my mind at the same time, Ive never seen a black bodied Stoma either.

I learned something myself today,...

p.s. Beautiful specimen

Snelly40

haha, if it has any babies i will send them off to you guys.
Thanks for the input everyone!

Stacef

I want some babies too!!! Come on... have some babies cute guy!

Snelly40

haha, well i guess its a good thing. Funny taht article said u never see them during the day, my lights were full on for a fwe hours when i took those pics

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

I caught one out under the lights too. Never trust in "Never" LOL!'

framerguy

Some of mine are out most of the day too. Most come out at night, but I see "some" all the time. I wish someone knew definitively what yours is.