What the H-E-DOUBLE-HOCKEY-STICK???!!!

Peeked into my tank again tonight with a flashlight...and saw these "things" shooting through the water like torpedoes!! Then one shot into the sand, and the other shot to the surface and started wriggling up the glass to become halfway out of the water. Grabbed a turkey baster and sucked them out of the sand (as soon as I turned on the hood light the one at the surface shot down into the sand):
Torpedo worms - YouTube
torpedo worms 2 - YouTube

Here's some pics:
100_6348.jpg

100_6349.jpg

100_6350.jpg

100_6351.jpg

100_6369.jpg

100_6368.jpg

They look like midget bristle worms when they stop swimming. So I looked up bristle worm reproduction (with the recent split of my anemone, it's the only thing I could think of...although I have NEVER seen a bristle worm move that fast!!) and wiki had this information:
Some of the polychaetes exhibit remarkable reproductive strategies. Some species in the genus Eunicie reproduce by a process called epitoky. For much of the year, these worms look like any other burrow-dwelling polychaete, but as the breeding season approaches the worm undergoes a remarkable transformation as new, specialized segments begin to grow from its rear end until the worm can be clearly divided into two halves. The front half, the atoke, is asexual. The new rear half is responsible for breeding and is known as the epitoke.
Each of the epitoke segments is packed with eggs and sperm and features a single eyespot on its surface. The beginning of the last lunar quarter is the cue for these animals to breed and the epitokes break free from the atokes and float to the surface. The eye spots sense when the epitoke reaches the surface and the segments from millions of worms burst, releasing their eggs and sperm into the water.

It's the only conclusion I can come to. Anyone have any input?

LuckyInk

Reef Painter
These are not bristle worms(at least the ones we are accustomed to seeing), that's for sure. The long antenna off the head, the eyes, and most certainly the speed through the water tell me it is something else.

Looking back through your posts, it appears you have made your tank by picking things off the beach close to where you live. Don't be surprised if we have a hard time identifying it. It is probably something indigenous to your area or the environment similar to Chesapeake Bay area.

Please don't add any fish to your setup until you are sure all these (and similar) little nasties are out. It'll save your sanity and your pocketbook.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ditto to Glenn!

Glenn didn't we recently see another thread with this same worm in it?

They can SWARM in the wild but don't seem to be harmful but VERY creepy. Here is one of the few pictures I've seen of them NOT in a tank. . . "Night time swarming in the Bahamas"
Polychaetes%20at%20night%20Bahamas%20copy.jpg

Epitokes%20and%20diver%20Belize%20copy.jpg

I don't plan on adding any fish to that tank...EVER. It's for my beach finds only. As for the mystery worm's identification, I forgot to mention something. Yesterday during the day there was a worm that had tunneled in the sand up against the glass, so I could see it. It looked exactly like a bristle worm, only its upper half was pure white and the lower half was reddish (the same color of a normal bristle worm). It was undulating in its "tunnel"...without going forwards or backwards. I got it out to put in the glass dish (same was as I used in the pics above) and noticed that it was "injured" in two places. The best way I can describe it is to compare it to an earthworm: when an earthworm is partially split and the end piece is still hanging on...here's a picture of what I mean:
100_6390.jpg

That's how the bristleworm's "injuries" looked like...on the white half. Could that have been where these two pieces came from? Cuz I put the worm back in the tank (I've read two sides to bristle worms...some call it pest, others call it benefitial...hasn't done anything that I can see to make me panic and remove them all, so I keep 'em).

Regardless of the identity, the two "torpedoes" creep me out. Part of me wants to keep them to see what they have in store for my tank, the other have wants to flush 'em. Any thoughts one way or the other?

Uslanja

That is one very awesome critter... whatever it is!! Without a doubt, for us anyway, you have the coolest tank!!! Anyone near the ocean coming our way?? We're up for a 5 gallon pail of whatever you can scoop!! Many folks may not agree with us but we would love to be able to do a tank the way you have this one going!!! We wouldn't kill a thing... just observe and learn. Very cool and we are so JEALOUS!!!!!

I'm not feeling bad about killing these two...I had left them in the clear dish overnight until I figured out what they were, and although they were alive, they were very sluggish, so I probably put 'em outta their misery. Besides...I've seen two more of these guys unsplit in the tank...so there's more where these two came from :)

I forgot to add...if what i've read is correct, these two were breeding...which means there's a good chance they released the eggs and sperm into the water before i caught 'em. Wonder how long before i see baby creepy worms??? lol

Uslanja

Just browsing through the photos of the worm again.... very interesting looking critter and some very good shots of it!!