What is your Specific Gravity

What is Your Specific Gravity & How do you measure?

• Using a Hydrometer

Votes: 158 38.3%
  • Using a Refractometer

Votes: 123 29.8%

Votes: 26 6.3%

Votes: 48 11.6%

Votes: 85 20.6%

Votes: 161 39.0%

Votes: 78 18.9%

Votes: 12 2.9%
  • I MEASURE ONLY BY PPT

Votes: 5 1.2%

• Total voters

Frankie

RS STAFF
I answered this in another thread, I recommend not deviating away from a salinity of 35 ppt (specific gravity = 1.0264; conductivity = 53 mS/cm). The ocean does not fluctuate as some people tend to think. The salinity is different in some places but a sudden shift would most likely end in destruction for marine life on a broad scale. The success of a reef aquarium is greatly dependent on the SG>

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
You are correct Frank, there are no sudden shifts. Most are slow seasonally shifts and usually not more than 1 ppt. The only places with sudden shifts are off the mouths of rivers. In any tank we ask try not to create a shift of any more than 1 ppt / day. This can be easily seen in shrimp, where the salinity is off when moved to another tank, they go right into molt.

Edison

1023 right now but am shooting for 1025-1026. Bringing it up by .001 every week.

Temp is 79F and I use a refractometer.

cheely13

1.025 for me at 78 deg i use a refractometer but on my hydrometer it said 1.024 so it isnt to off i guess has anyone else checked as how far off there hydrometer is compared to a refractometer just wandering

rgfast

should have also asked how often do you check calbration had that get me once! I now check at least every 6 weeks with Pinpoint 53.0 mS

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Who's refract do you have ? How are you calibrating it ? Who's hydrometer do you have ?