What happened to the bacteria once you get 0 readings

LookingForNemo

Re: Just exactly what is a 'cycled' tank

What happened to the bacteria once you get 0 readings for ammonia and nitrite? If you don't introduce fish to produce waste, would the bacteria just die off due to the lack of food supply?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Bacteria levels will drop with no ammonia food source. Why it's important to add only 1 -2 fish after the cycle, and start testing again - so that the bacteria population can multiply to catch up with the increased load from each fish addition. Going slow with adding fish is the best practice.

LookingForNemo

Bacteria levels will drop with no ammonia food source. Why it's important to add only 1 -2 fish after the cycle, and start testing again - so that the bacteria population can multiply to catch up with the increased load from each fish addition. Going slow with adding fish is the best practice.

OK so you add fish once the tank is cycled. But from readings within other posts, I thought you should add this in order of priority:

1) clean up crews
2) Invertebrates
3) Corals
4) Fish

If I went with that order it would be at least a month later after the tank is cycled that the fish is introduce. Wouldn't the bacteria die off by then? Am I wrong? :doh: :doh:

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF

it won't... if you want ... once you add your cuc (as soon as cycle completes), you can add an algae wafer to feed the cuc & the tank :)

adding the fish last... just helps ensure the fish thrives... going slow adding fish is never wrong

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM

Correct - that's the general recommendation. CUC, Inverts, and corals don't add much to the bio-load or to ammonia generation. The order of fish and corals can be reversed, as corals are added as time goes on, and as you can afford them. If you feed the CUC and inverts (sparingly) some of that food will probably escape them, decompose and keep bacteria fed. My main point was that when you do start adding fish to not add more than one or two at a time. All of your bacteria won't die off, the numbers will just decrease, and need to be allowed time to re-multiply when adding fish. Every tank is different. Patience is needed, but not easy!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

***Thread Split out from "Just what exactly..."***

This will help keep the original thread more On Topic and allow this one to be more specific.

A.

LookingForNemo

Ok my tank has finally cycled!!! Yayyyyyyyyyy.... my patience paid off, thanks guys. My ammonia and nitrite readings are zero while my nitrate is around 40. I did a 90% water change today and did some aquascaping. The only problem now is removing the debris out of the sand as my rocks are uncured to start with. The gravel cleaner failed to siphon out most the debris. Any suggestion? Also, it should be OK for me to start putting in CUC within the next few days?

Reddog170

WOW 90% at one time. I do not know if I would have gone that far. Keep checking for a few more days and if the readings stay at 0 then you should be ok for some of your cuc. Keep the water changes on schedule, at least 10% a week, do not over feed and have fun. Shaun

DaveK

Ok my tank has finally cycled!!! Yayyyyyyyyyy.... my patience paid off, thanks guys. My ammonia and nitrite readings are zero while my nitrate is around 40. I did a 90% water change today and did some aquascaping. The only problem now is removing the debris out of the sand as my rocks are uncured to start with. The gravel cleaner failed to siphon out most the debris. Any suggestion? Also, it should be OK for me to start putting in CUC within the next few days?

WOW 90% at one time. I do not know if I would have gone that far. Keep checking for a few more days and if the readings stay at 0 then you should be ok for some of your cuc. Keep the water changes on schedule, at least 10% a week, do not over feed and have fun. Shaun

In this case, a new tank just cycled, with a high nitrate reading, I would consider a 90% water change to be ideal. You want that nitrate to be as low as possible to prevent massive algae outbreaks that often occur in new tanks.

As for cleaning the gravel, you really don't need to, but if you still think it looks unsightly, you might try a different gravel cleaner.

LookingForNemo

Yeh my nitrate was pretty high, around 40pmm... I did the 90% water change and test it again today and it is sitting between 5-10ppm, a significant drop! However, my pH sits around 7.8 for some reason. Is there a way I can get pH up to 8.2-8.3 beside using a buffer?

DaveK

I would leave things alone. Often this drop is cause by CO2 in the system. You can increase circulation, and have better outside air exchange and this may help. However, IMHO you are better off not messing with additives and leaving the pH at 7.8.