What do you call it, and why?

ZOOS? OR ZOAS??

• Total voters

PIMPALA

Zoanthids...

Some people call them "zoos" and some call them "zoas". Which do you prefer, and why? One of the two annoys me. lol

Jackalope

zoos is like some lazy slang for the name imo. a zoo is where animals are kept in captivity to be stared at by the general public.

might as well call them Z's

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
I call them zoas because that's what I've always read and heard. That and it's short for ZOAnthid.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've almost always used Zoas but I was at a frag swap recently and I was the ONLY person there calling them zoas. Every other person (and it was a fairly big turn out) at the place called them zoos (like where you keep tiger and lions and hippoptomasseseesseessss). What gives? Now I just call them salt water flowers and everyone looks at me like I have something UBER exotic :)

chipmunkofdoom2

Zoas.

This is something that annoys me. Many people when abbreviating "until" write "till". That is an action, to turn and aerate soil so that crops may grow better. "I'm going to wait here till the movie is over" makes no sense. The major reason till is used over til is probably because spell check used to flag "til" as a misspelling, because technically as an informal contraction it was not an official word. What's the number 1 replacement? Till. Doesn't make any sense. If you're using till instead of til, you are misspelling.

Likewise, Zoos is probably a mutation of zoas that was developed because various spell check algorithms flagged zoas as not being a word. Number 1 replacement? Zoos. The problem is once you ingrain something in the heads of people, it's incredibly hard to stamp out, whether it's right or wrong.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I call them zoas ... because I can google zoas you get hundreds of hits of Zoanthids ... google zoos and you won't be looking at corals before you quit clicking next page
025.gif

PIMPALA

Zoas.

This is something that annoys me. Many people when abbreviating "until" write "till". That is an action, to turn and aerate soil so that crops may grow better. "I'm going to wait here till the movie is over" makes no sense. The major reason till is used over til is probably because spell check used to flag "til" as a misspelling, because technically as an informal contraction it was not an official word. What's the number 1 replacement? Till. Doesn't make any sense. If you're using till instead of til, you are misspelling.

Likewise, Zoos is probably a mutation of zoas that was developed because various spell check algorithms flagged zoas as not being a word. Number 1 replacement? Zoos. The problem is once you ingrain something in the heads of people, it's incredibly hard to stamp out, whether it's right or wrong.

I'm just glad things like this bother someone else as much as they do me. lol

jpsika08

I call them, Pólipos (Yes, it's Spanish), and add the color after ir LOL
For example, green zoas, I call them Pólipos Verdes :D