What corals can i put in my tank?

Gumby

Looking at my lighting and skimmer, etc, what can i put in my tank.

I would consider myself a beginner reefer so please consider that when offering up your thoughts. And please post pics as I can use the pics to get my wife to cave in on purchases. I do better with lower prices as well.

My zooas (I have one with brown skirt and green inside and one with a forest green with a bright green inside) and star polyps (2 diff kinds) have been growing real well in what i have currently. I started out with 2 mouths on my frogspawn and now have 3, so I think I am doing ok but i would like to add some more colorful. I also have 4 diff shrooms (none have split to my knowledge) and the "free" kenya tree that has grown about 3/8" in few weeks.

I would like to have a brain (gawd, I still chuckle at that thought) but I am open to other thoughts.

My wife likes stuff that moves/waves around in the water - like what i have minus the shrooms.

Thanks for your help.

vdituri

Yellow polyps are pretty cool.
They sway really well in the current.
Low maintenance.
No litter box needed.
:dunno:

Attachments

• yellow polyps.jpg
    yellow polyps.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 49

Gumby

Ahhh yes, i like yellow polyps and i had them for some time before my coral beauty started nipping them. I will put them on my list

what do hammer head corals look like?

vdituri

Mostly photosynthetic. Will take meaty foods from time to time.

The list says "2 white" T5's What spectrum? Sounds like enough light, but I am by far no expert.

Stacef

Just from my experience, and I am a newby to corals!

Check out Xenia's from what I know most will do fine, but post up here first if their describ doesn't say photosynthetic.

Also--Sun corals are great. They need the shade, and mostly come out at night but can eventually be trained to come out during the day.

Also--you mentioned your wife likes stuff that waves in the current. Have you considered/or have feather dusters? Coco feather dusters are my favorite, just a suggestion!

jonas

also octopuss coral very nice just like frog spawn except better color!
you could get a kenya tree to they grow very quik and dont need lots of attention.

Gumby

the white lights are 10k 460nm
the blues are actinic

so, about 108watts per color

Last edited:

Gumby

we have looked at feather dusters but nothign has caught her eye colorwise....yet

so far I have recomendations of
Sun Coral
Gogo's
Chili Coral
Fox Coral
Hammer
Yellow polyps
Xenia's

Anythign else?

Last edited:

Stacef

we have looked at feather dusters but nothign has caught her eye colorwise....yet

so far I have recomendations of
Sun Coral
Gogo's
Chili Coral
Fox Coral
Hammer
Yellow polyps

Anythign else?

You forgot the Xenia's I mentioned.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sun Coral - I'd say not unless you intend to be hands-on in feeding. This coral requires direct feeding since it's NON-photosynthetic at all. Beautiful coral IF you're willing to feed it each and every time.

Gogo's
- Not sure what this is so that's a ???

Chili Coral - Very pretty coral especaily in the night time hours or just after lights on. Again non-photosynthetic but it's fairly accomplished at "Filter Feeding" :thumber:

Fox Coral - Never had one so???

Hammer - One of my FAVORITE corals. Have several of them and LOVE them! :thumber: :thumber:

Yellow polyps - Very good coral. Fairly hardy and prolific (even weed like to some). Tentacles get fairly long compared to relatives of it and add lots of color and "Movement" in your tank :thumber::thumber:

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Some clowns will host in Euphies (Hammer, Torch, FrogSpawn) but the clown can be accidentally too rough and damage them (experience speaking)

My clown here is hosting in my Xenia and LOVES it!

Gumby

I think the suncorals look great, but I am not home enough to feed them

I saw someone call gorgonians Gorgo's, so I thought that what everyone called them.

I can tell you the clowns pay no mind to my frogspawn

What else can go in the tank, even if it does not fit the wife requirements?

And pictures are almost worth having corals in hand at my home so if I can get some pics, that would be awesome.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've yet to have my first "Gorgo" and honestly I should have picked up on what that meant. I'm brain fried at the moment.. WAY too much work going on here :)

How long have you had the clowns? My clown here at work will host about anything... he gets down into the Yellow Polyps, rubs down in the Green Star Polyps (GSP's) and loves to nest/roost in the "hand/fork" of the Xenia.

I've had clowns host in all three of my tanks that have them in FrogSpawn at one time or another. Maybe my clowns are just "easy" like that... (keeping it family friendly).

:)