What corals can i put in my tank?

Gumby

I have had them for over a year if not longer and they pay no mind to any of my corals. I told the LFS to pick two from a tank full and I think I may have 2 diff types. One is reall orange and the other is closer to yellow than orange; the white part is the same.

lcstorc

My clown hosts in a toadstool but I don't have any pics handy.
Check out a variety of leather corals. Most of them don't sway but they have some really cool colors.
Just be sure to run carbon with them as they participate in chemical warfare.

funkpolice

Zoa's come in lots of really cool colors, the problem is, under less intense light, they seemingly lose their color. Although not colorful, Red Sea Xenia looks pretty sweet. It's a really bright white color and pulses, mine kind of looks like blinking lights when its pulsing quickly.
Xeniacolonies.jpg

I think gorgonians have to be fed supplementary foods, being at least partially non-photosynthetic. I have the same problem as you, finding bright colors that my lighting can support. I just bought some sun corals, and they are doing well. Here's a pic from the day I got them, they have plumped up significantly since.
suncoral6-1.jpg

Good luck in your search. If your ever near Chicago, I can give you some of the Xenia super cheap, it grows quick.
bill

Gumby

What about Acropora? or somethign like that.
I know it doesnt fit the wife's params, but it may fit mine.

lcstorc

IMO not enought light for an acro.
SPS require a lot of light and a lot of flow as well as a very very clean tank.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I wouldn't call it limited. There are SO many types of Zoas and Shrooms that the SKY is the limit. I'd say start slow and get a "Feel" for what you like. If you get something that just doesn't "tickle your fancy" you can always trade it around for something else. Start with easy shrooms or zoas and learn how the corals react. Then build on your learning and work your way up.

The MOST important aspect is ENJOY the whole process. I get so much joy out of WORKING on my tank. Enjoy the ride as well as the destination :)

Gumby

Maybe "limited" was not the proper word to use. I guess what I am looking for is a list of what my tank can handle with my current lighting, skimming, fish, etc.

That way I can pick and choose off the list what i like rather than making the mistake of purchasing something like an acro and then it die due lack of something that i could provide. I really beat myself up when live stuff dies in my tank, so I would like to prevent that as much as possible.

For example, I was at one of our LFS last night and there was this pinkish round coral with brown spikes that looked cool (kind of like a leather with spines sticking out of it) that I thought was cool. I didnt buy it because i wasnt sure what it was and I didnt know if it met my params of my tank.

This LFS sells small zoas and tiny frags of corals for real low $$ ($5-$12).

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well honestly that's part of this hobby. You have to accurately identify the coral and THEN research each one. There are just too many variables to be able to provide any type of accurate and dependable list with specifics. That's why we say "Start with Zoas & shrooms". This way you get something that's easy/hardy and as you learn more you can add more. Wish I could help more but it's really a learning process and short cuts only lead to heart ache and an empty wallet :)

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Then with what i have in my tank so far is on the path to reefer-elightenment.

Yes Gumby-san... you are on the path to Reefer-enlightenment....
(spoken in a very asian tone whilst catching flies with chop-sticks)