Wet Foam vs. Dry Foam

Craig Manoukian

Great summry TG, Thanks! Especially the constant reminder that no two tanks are identical. Generalities do apply, but specifics are why you have to intimately know your tank!

:) :D :cool: ;) :p :smirk:

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Good summery TG, boy with a full disclaimer to..your getting to good at this.lol

thanks for putting it all together

Mike

Curtswearing

I kind of found this out by accident. I noticed certain things in my tank seemed happier with a wetter foam and other things seemed happier with a drier foam.

However, thanks for bringing this issue up for people because I have seen (and repeated :( ) the information that drier foam is always better and thats just not the case.

tankgirl

Hi Curts, Interesting!!
I'm curious, what things seem happier with wet foam, and what ...with dry?

I read somewhere that wet foam is better for removing algae. Bet Alberto will know about this stuff!

Brucey

TG ..... I hate it when my skimmer is not producing anything .... ie .. when it's set on the dry side and the tank is running clean for a few days. I also dose 2 pints of Green Water every day now (which is Saltwater), so I need to remove the same amount to stop the salinty fluctuating (I know it would be tiny amounts, but snowballs make avalanches right) .... So I tend to run mine slightly wet so that I need to empty the cup every 3-4 days. I also feel happier seeing my skimming actually removing more, even if it is just more diluted .... whether it's wet or dry ..... I smells bloody awfull

Brucey

Curtswearing

Originally posted by tankgirl
Hi Curts, Interesting!!
I'm curious, what things seem happier with wet foam, and what ...with dry?

I read somewhere that wet foam is better for removing algae. Bet Alberto will know about this stuff!

Green slimer acro likes it wet.

Frogspawn likes it dry.

Great thread!

TG, I love your tenacity. I probably would have stopped before going so far ... and would have missed out.

Personally, I'm a wet foam kinda guy.
Seems like my sps are happier, and my softie tank has a wimpier skimmer ... so even running halfway wet it's still less skimming ... though I'm no coral whisperer [just observer].

tankgirl

Hey Brucey, great info! What's the Green Water for? What is it?

Curts, cool info - You Are a coral whisperer!! I get excellent feedback from my corals, so I know it's true.

Scooter (Scott) & Scott, hilarious exchange!

Hi middletonmark, Hah, you have No idea how right you are! Lol - I should change my name from tankgirl to tenaciousgirl. Seriously.

Brucey

HI TG .... Sorry, we call Phytoplakton Greenwater over here .... don't know if it's the same slang word in the US. The stuff was costing me a fortune to feed the corals (£30 a bottle was lasting two weeks .... for 1 Litre), know I'm culturing my own and it's an absolute breeze. I have 4 Litres going all the time in two coke bottles .... All they need is intense light and Phytoplakton food which lasts for years (1 Bottle). I take a pint out of each bottle every day and replace it with PURE seawater ..... ie, freshly made with no contamients that could eat the Phyto .... Now the Corals get fed 10 times as much, it helps to keep microalgae down in the main tank and it doesn't cost a penny .... well, a few pence on electric but that's it. If you want more info and pics let me know.
Brucey

tankgirl

Brucey, cool info! Let me think about this a bit. I don't much feed my corals, they only get the stuff in the tank, fish poop, algae, bacteria, etc., then once in a great while I give them phyto or golden pearls. But, I like to know about other methods!

mojoreef

Just a reefer
Brucey, I am not sure if I am understanding you right, are you feeding 4 pints of phytoplankton to you tank every day. Also what is it that you are feeding in the tank.

thanks

Mike

Brucey

Mojo ..... no, 2 pints every day. It us used to feed all the filter feeders / Corals / Anenomoes / Sponges / Clams / etc etc. i thought this was pretty normal practice. The owner at my LFS is dead envious of how easy I seem to grow the stuff, his culture keeps crashing but I find it really easy. Perhaps that's why I've had such success with my so called difficult to keep Goniopora's and Ritteri Anenomoes ....??? Who knows, it's all experimentation
Brucey

In reality any kind of foam of any color(light or dark)removed by the skimmer is good as longer it's darker than the tank water.One cant never over skimms any reef tank.VINA.

Brucey

No, it depends. You can Def over skim a tank. The more you skim, the more partilces your removing from the water. Some of the members here don't even run a skimmer (which I don't agree with but hey we're all trying different things). If you have inverts / corals / anenomoes etc you can overskim the water and make it so "clean" that it leaves nothing for the filter feeders. However, if your running a FO system, I tend to agree with your comment
Brucey