Wet Foam vs. Dry Foam

Curtswearing

I found the articles very interesting and I haven't posted much about them. I absolutely LOVE the title of the series. I'm not sure I agree with everything that was stated in the series and I have a problem with some things but I'm not going there. Regardless, I still learn something new every day.

When I first started reefing, I trusted implicitly what one person at a particular LFS told me. I would go see him every Saturday morning, ask questions, and buy more stuff. It turned out that he didn't even work for the LFS. He ran a tank maintenance business. They let him hang around because he brought them sales but they weren't listening to what he was telling their customers. I never even made the connection when he would gather up what I was purchasing and give it to someone else to ring out. (I guess I'm a little too trusting). This guy was purposely creating problems in my tank and hitting me up for maintenance services each week. BTW----I do believe that if he showed his face in a single LFS in St. Louis, the local news would have a story about a customer who accidentally died by ingesting a rare poisonous toxin.

Then I found internet reefing boards. My trusting nature made me believe hook line and sinker, everything that experts said. I then proceeded to tell everyone that XYZ said this so it must be true. (Sorry guys).

I'm not commenting on this post other than the Title of the Series. However, I'm throwing my earlier mistakes out there to just warn you to think things through, ask questions, and make sure you understand the answer before moving on. Make sure it makes sense to you.

A couple of years ago, you were edit--made to feel like a complete idiot if you didn't buy shares of XYZ.com. The magazines said so, the talk radio said so, the internet said so, your friends said so. It might have been sound advice or it might have been poor advice. The mere fact that a lot of people repeated it didn't make it true.

edit---I really find it difficult to accept that we have the technology to overskim our tanks at this point unless you put a HUGE skimmer on a 29g tank. I would rather take out all organics and then control what goes into my tank rather than leave some organics in my tank that are not under my control.

CURTS I'm sorry that you had a very bad experience with that guy that hang around in a local fish store somewhere in ST. LOUIS.
I'm sure you took your losses as a learning lessons.But is this site(RS)there is many people that knows a lot more that you can't imagine.
I respect every advise,opinions and comments that every member has in mind.You mentioned that you are not sure to agree with everything stated in the series and have problems with something and you don't want to go there.I always like to hear these people thoughts it gets very interesting because at the end they seems to agree with everybody else.
When I began to read your post I thought I was an a different thread.
I know many of us shift gear and go to different topics.I still like to see what you think about "Dry foam or Wet foam" and give us your opinions.
I did not buy any shares of XYZ.COM so according to you that make me an idiot!
And yes I do believe in magazines,talks shows,books,internet as long as their are educational to me.
You also mentioned that you dont want to comment on this post other than The Titles of the Series.I really dont know what you meant by that?Are you sure is about this site or another one?
I'm glad this site is the home of very good people,smart and understanding and are always here to help anyone that needs help!LOL and peace to all.
VINA

Brucey

Curt .... exactly. When you first get into this thing, we all trust one person, a LFS, a friend who already has a reef etc ..... but the most valuable thing about these boards is you can throw a question out there, get 20 replies and then make a judgement yourself on whats right and whats wrong. We're all still in the early days of this hobby and I'm sure that in 20 years time, things that we think are gospel now will be blown out of the water.
Brucey

Scooterman

I guess this thread has gotten off course, I'll continue to stay off track by making this statement. I had over $1,000 into my 30g tank before finding web forums, like Curts, I was trusting the LFS guys, someone I don't know, also I never spent much time on forums before so I didn't know I could ever trust anything I've seen or read in these live web pages so to speak. My point is eventually I found out that I was real mad at my LFS, I was spending tons of cash and getting nowhere but then it hit me, if it wasn't for the almighty LFS, I would of never gotten here. I do go and probe questions, look around etc... it is nice to get out and see what they are selling. I actually find a few guys that help, know some things and are nice, also it is our community, so LFS is good and bad in ways but we need them. I read, I interpret, I read, I interpret, & then I read some more, this lesson was costly but has paid off lately. This guy made some very good points about cycling tanks & I would suggest beginners reading these certain parts but Not the whole thing LOL! As a community, we here, help each other every day, that is why when I read this, I started posting it, wanted your opinions, information etc.. It has helped!

Curtswearing

Sorry for taking the thread off track. That wasn't my intention. I had to edit my post a little because I was mainly trying to encourage people to think things through, research, and then decide for themselves rather than say Dr. Ron said this or Eric Bourneman said that. I'm sorry I didn't see this post previously. I was in the midst of a huge project at work plus it's tax season.

Of course I don't think you were an idiot for not buying XYZ.com. I don't even think there is such a company. I was trying to give an anology that just because an "expert" says you should buy a particular stock, that doesn't make it true. In fact, some of those experts have been charged with multimillion dollar penalties by the S.E.C. for their bad advice. It was an anology gone bad. Sorry about that. (See the confusion that can happen when accountants are allowed to touch the letter keys instead of just the number keys :smirk: ).

But back to bad advice. I originally said I wouldn't go there, but I guess I should now. I personally think that Eric is wrong and I find his reasoning questionable. Our closed systems accumulate nutrients and nasties over time. If you are running a tank for a while and intend to continue upgrading to new tanks every couple of years, maybe leaving things to accumulate will work until your next teardown. If you want to have your tank be fairly permanent (mine is built into my wall so that means it is definately permanent), I'm all for getting as much of the DOC's, detritus, etc. out of the system as possible with continuous skimming.

maffu

I might be being a little over spiritual here but with the Aquamedic thing I have.. I just adjust the air flow and let it find what feels like a comfy rate of production.... and it usually kicks up with wet... then settles down and gets a bit drier and settles somewhere not too wet.. not too dry...

It seems to have a sweet spot where its ticking along pulling out first class gubbins... I am sure it will change as I begin to get the creatures into the wet stuff.

And boy does it produce some of the funkiest smelling gook out there.... hmmm an idea for a poll is born...

That might be herecy in some eyes...

On the LFS front... being a newbie to this I have found the 'so wheres yours?' question works wonders... the bull tends to get skimmed in conversation pretty quickly then!!!

lizardarm

anyhoo....
i tend to go with the wetter foam because my skimmer is a nautilus te and that's about all i can get the thing to do. lol

Tom Vick

I tend to go wetter...as a side note...my skimmer was not performing correctly...took out the bio balls in the tower and scrubbed them...now it works like a champ!

Tigger

My vote goes to wet skimming. I notice that if I were to use dry skimming, the neck of the skimmer will be coated w a layer of sluge and impedes the performance of my skimmer. i m using a german needlewheel and a Schuran Jetskim.