Water Changes

Oakhouse

I promised in a post earlier in the week I would post up some pics of my water change method, but a) couldn't remember who it was that asked, and b) thought it might be worthy of a thread to see how others achieve this.

I picked up a nano tank off ebay. I use this to always keep about 50 litres of clean Saltwater. Can also use this as a Quarantine tank if needed. I try and prepare the next batch after I've emptied it during the water change (doesn't always happen - but always have it ready at least 48 hours before the change).

So first off I do all the dirty work. This includes cleaning out all the sponges, I use any water left in the ATO bucket to clean this out (RO/DI water). Scrapping any algae off the glass etc.

I then syphon out 30-40 litres out of the tank, having switched off the pumps.
Draining.jpg

Once this is done, its a simple case of topping up the water, this involves attaching a 5m pipe to the pump in the nano, and switching on.
Refil1.jpg

Refil3.jpg

Refil4.jpg

Refil5.jpg

Once filled switch off the pump, (and prepare next weeks saltwater!)

Then remove the Skimmer cup and clean out using a toothbrush and hot running water, replace, switch everything back on, and double check the skimmer production. Clean out and refill the ATO bucket, and switch that on.

The last thing I do is remove the cover from the lights and clean that off, just by running it under a hot tap, and using a kitchen paper towel to remove any salt buildup. Its amazing the difference even after just a week!

Nigma

thanks for sharing oak,

whats that blue pump thing that u have in the 1st pic? where u get one of those?

Oakhouse

Very nice method, but kind of confusing to a beginner.

Was trying to make it simple! and understandable for most beginners aswell! lol..

If there are bits that are confusing then please let me/us know, that was the intent behind starting this in a separate thread.

Oakhouse

Quick question folks (for those with no sump)... What time of day do you guys usually do your water changes?

I have just done my first "after dark" change, and wondered what you thought? Anyone else do a wc after dark?
Did a good algae scrap 5 mins before lights out and then as soon as the lights where out, started the water change, cleaned sponges etc.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Sump here, but I do most water changes in the tank itself. I also do mine about 10am after some tank lights are on. I'd be concerned about stressing the fish by doing them at night, in the dark, if the fish have already "retired for the night". Just my opinion, with nothing to back it up! :)

pocketreef

Hello!

I change 30 liters per week. The output goes directly to the toilet :bouncebox
I dont turn off the pumps.

I don't like to keep the canopy raised for a long time (>30min). I prefer to perform the changes before the lights but sometimes It's not possible....

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Lights on here...
1197.gif

Terry makes a good point about stress at night, might think something was trying to get them.

Oakhouse

Personally from the body, never touched the sand. I do have a pair of sifting Gobies though! Lol

My thinking yesterday was it may be less stressful for the fish, as they where already in bed.

Interesting, good thread,

I do mine on a Sunday afternoon with light on every other week; I change approx 20-25 litres using a pre-mix that I get from my LFS. I siphon out the old water, from the body of the water and not near the substrate and use it for the filter and media sponge clean, rinse and then pour down the drain to discard. Should also point out that I do clean the filter media sponge every week using RO, but I have now read that using RO isn’t actually necessary as most people seem to rinse in tap water. I then raise the new LFS water, which is in a 25 litre container above the tank water level and siphon the water back into the tank using an air line with a clothes peg to restrict the flow takes sometime 2 hours to replace the water. This method seems to work for me. The only thing that I worry about is some of my coral is exposed and out of the water, not sure if this is a problem. Hasn’t done any harm but what are other people’s thoughts on this, as I may so far been lucky not to harm my coral.

I would also be very interested in know exactly how others prepare their new water and salt mix as I’ve never mixed my own water.

Steve