Warning to those buying frags online

jdarr

Hey everyone, I am not sure if this is the correct forum to post this thread, but I was unable to find a "sponsored" thread, so here goes.

Being from Canada, I have very limited options as to where I can purchase frags online (at least decent ones). So, I have been looking all over the place, including the USA, to find a site that will ship to Canada. I finally found one called coralfanatics.com. I made my first order from them a few months ago, and they sent me some zooanthids and it was an excellent experience. The livestock was great, and there were no issues at all. The shipping prices were extremely high, ($125 for a $55 order), but like I said, I have limited options, so I decided to pay the price...

A few days later I ordered another shipment, (as I was extremely happy with the first order) which I received quickly, but they sent me something that I didn't order. In fact, It was the same zooanthids that I previously ordered. It was certainly not the zoos that were pictured on the website. (If there is one lesson to be learned, make sure you take screenshots of your orders!). After some mild complaining, they decided to refund my money and satisfied me enough to consider them again.

So, on May 4th, I placed my most recent order. I have paid in advance (using paypal) and have not heard anything from coralfanatics.com, other than an email on the 5th asking me if I had a tracking number from my first purchase (from earlier in the year). I have sent countless emails, and also filed a claim with paypal yesterday... I haven't heard anything yet.

The purpose of this message is three fold.
1. hopefully this supplier will realise that, as consumers, we have a voice and will use our voices if we are treated unfairly, and will hopefully remind them to MAKE GOOD on their business transactions.
2. let other consumers know that there are lessons/risks associated with purchasing online (goes without saying I guess)
3. find a good frag supplier who will ship to Canada!!!

If anyone has any info, please contact me. If this is not the right forum to post this, I apologize.
Thanks
Jason

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Hi Jason - there are some good lessons to learn above & recommendations from people that have used quality companies for year is one. I hope you used PalPal Visa option - IMO - the only way to buy online, I have made 100's of purchases & only once had a dispute, but with PalPal Visa you are covered.

Having said this... I looked at the website you ordered from & just read this... "We guarantee our products to arrive alive and in good shape. In the unlikely event that they are not, WE REQUIRE AN E-MAIL UPON ARRIVAL.. (12:00) the day of arrival. We will ask for a digital photo or to send back the DOA specimen and we will credit your account with us. We will not cover shipping charges and shipping charges will not be credited to your account. There is no guarantee on any international shipments."

No way in the world would I order from Canada... having read the above...

but again welcome to RS, we have lots of great members here on RS that can recommend you some great companies, many from Canada

fata1ity

$125 for shipping, they ripped you off.

A company like them that ships such large quantities gets rates at around $50 for first overnight.