Video of my new FOWLR and 8yr old reef tank

GlassMunky

Aweswome video. LOVE that little reef. looking awesome, and soo filled with life. cant believe that o-ring lol

Totally awsome vid, Caligirl!! Love your tanks. The Blenny is fantastic. A very warm welcome to RSM Club and Reefsanctuary!

Funlad3

Has been struck by the ban stick
Karma to you for Obi Wan the Goby. That's just awesome. Oh, and I've never seen that much coraline. That's just crazy. Excuse my repetition!

Caligirl330

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome! Happy to a part of this community. I am glad you all enjoyed my video :swmfish:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sweet tanks Caligirl!

I swear that "Iggy Pop a Porcupine Puffer" is singing in that video! Just in the beginning he says "yeah!" LOL! go check it out :thumbup:

Caligirl330

LOL thank you Frankie for noticing that! That is the whole reason why I picked that song. I love Iggy Pop, such a cutie :)

Caligirl330

Question???

I don't have too much experience owning a puffer however I did do a lot research before buying one and read that they puff up when stressed. Iggy pop my Porcupine puffer keeps puffing up! The first time I saw him inflate himself was about 3 weeks ago, my dogs were making high pitch noises which can irratate puffers so I thought that was why...two days ago my BF said he puffed up again right before the light came on and assumed it was the dogs again but this morning I saw Iggy puffed up again (right before the light came on) but my dogs were not making any noises....I check my tank parameters constantly and everything is ok in that area, the temp is slightly high but not abnormal. It is almost like he has a routine now of puffing up in the morning and my other fish are no where near him when he does this and as you can see in the video they all get along great. As soon as I get close to him when he is puffed up he deflates right away and starts swimming normal...
Do you think puffers sometimes just inflate for "practice" lol? I know that may seem like a funny idea but my fish do some strange things sometimes lol like blow O rings

Does anyone have any other ideas of what is making Iggy pop POP!

Robzilla

Something is stressing him out and you definitely do NOT want him to puff up. Every time he does it, it can kill him and I freaked out the one time I saw mine puff. Puffing can trap water or air inside him which is what can cause death. They can't always expell what they suck in.

My advice would be to keep an eye on him and see what is stressing him out and eliminate the source. It could be vibrations from a speaker, rapid light changes like from a TV, water quality issues, or another fish (rabbitfish are poisonous and what you may think is a friendship between the two fish could be freaking out your puffer).

Caligirl330

Trust me I am not happy seeing him puff up because I do know how stressful it is for their bodies because it flattens all of their organs to make room for the water they are sucking in.

I thought it had to be the vibrations my dogs were making the first time it happened however this mourning my dogs were quite the TV wasn't on (good idea though about the rapid flashing lights from the TV because my tank is in close proximity to my TV and Iggy's favorite spot is facing the TV). Every time he does it there are no fish near him and I watch the tank constantly and Rodger (the Rabbitfish) doesn't harass him at all I never see any of the fish chase each other (even during feeding). Could Rodgers spines accidentally poke him? However he is always way on the other side of the tank by himself when it happens. My water quality is good and he has no signs of a disease/parasite and in fact his spots and tail have been getting brighter since I got him, I soak ALL of my fishes food in garlic.

Thank you I appreciate your suggestions. I am defiantly going to keep my eye on him. I love my fish and want to make sure they are happy....

Robzilla

Rodgers spines could be a possibility but not likely. I think you would see signs of irritation if not death. The fact that they are staying far apart leads me to think that it could be a compatability issue. Live aquaria shows that they are ok together but you could have the exception to the rule. Marine Compatability Chart

Look to see if swimming patterns change and/or breathing gets faster when they are near each other. Does Rodger flick up his spines when he is near Iggy?

Caligirl330

Well Iggy and Rodger swim all over the tank and don't avoid each other, and when they swim with each other Rodger doesn't throw his spikes up unless I walk up, then they all get excited thinking I am about to feed them. Iggy always puffs up near his favorite spot so I am starting to think it might be a territorial thing...but lol when the other fish swim near his spot when he is there he doesn't chase them off or get aggressive, he just continues to do his own thing...

I wish I could speak fish then I would just ask him what his problem was:lol:

Caligirl330

New spot fin lionfish

Hello :hallo:

I have had a Lionfish in my quarantine tank for a week and she (or he but I named it a girl name :goofy:) has been eating very well and I trained her to eat frozen shrimp from tongs. This is my first Lionfish and I heard they are generally pretty hardy if eating but I was wondering if some of you who have had experience with this type of fish think she looks healthy enough to add to the FOWLR tank tomorrow?
I was planning on maybe adding the Lion fish today but since Maggie my Maroon clown had a traumatic experience yesterday I am not sure if it is a good idea to possibly stress her out so soon. She got sucked into a pump head first and barely survived. If you want to know more about what happened to my little baby check out my post titled "My poor fish"

Anyway here is the video of the new Lion, LMK what you guys think of her...

YouTube - ‪New Spot Fin Lion Fish‬‏