Varga's 94 Gallon Cube

Varga

The bubble is not touching anyone yet. I'm starting to questions the whole aggressive behavior of corals. Right now everyone is touching in my tank and they seem fine. Even frogspawn is touching a cup coral and some Zoanthids and they all look happy.

Jeremy0322

Alright, I got a few questions for you. This thing was pretty enough and I was thinking about it anyways that I may possibly want to do this on a much smaller scale.

1) I dont see the coast to coast, did you do the overflow box instead? If now how do you have that working.

2) Can i get some pics of the behind the scenes working of this tank maybe?

3) What all should someone watch for building their own tank, this seemed like it was simpler than it should have been haha

Varga

Alright, I got a few questions for you. This thing was pretty enough and I was thinking about it anyways that I may possibly want to do this on a much smaller scale.

1) I dont see the coast to coast, did you do the overflow box instead? If now how do you have that working.

2) Can i get some pics of the behind the scenes working of this tank maybe?

3) What all should someone watch for building their own tank, this seemed like it was simpler than it should have been haha

You should totally build your own. I think I've mentioned that the tank + stand cost me under $160.00.

1) The bit to drill the tank would have cost me more than the tank itself so I'm jut using an overflow box.

2) I'll take some pix tomorrow. Theres nothing to it thought. Overflow takes water out, return pump dumps it back in :D

3)There's really nothing to it. Tape the glass together. Apply silicone, and bam. you are done. Once I built a 40 gallon for $40 and it lasted about 10 years. Held water till I cut it apart to build a sump for the cube. I Used GE silicone one.

Varga

Varga,
Do you have a equipment list? What kind of maxi-jets are you using?
Thank you

I dont remember which Mod it is. I know one is much better than the other though. I think I got "sureFlow"? Its from MarineDepot. MaxiJet 1200. They are about 2x stronger than Koralia 4's.

Skimmer is DIY and return pump is Quiet one.... forgot which one.

Jeremy0322

Jeremy,

Heres some great tank building instructions. Gives you exact glass cut list which you just give to any glass shop. U should shop around a lot, the price difference was huge from shop to shop.

http://www.garf.org/tank/buildtank.asp

Yea, I was able to pull that link out yesterday but at first quick glance I though it was a gallon calculator, I played around with it a little more last night and found it to be very very useful. Now I just need to decide on a size.

Adam Black

Varga is there a online vendor that you get your glass from? Do you have them cut the glass to specs or do you do that yourself?

Varga

Adam, I just called a bunch of local glass shops. I got quotes in the $400 range but found it for I think $130. They cut the pieces for me and machined the edges too!

Adam Black

Adam, I just called a bunch of local glass shops. I got quotes in the $400 range but found it for I think $130. They cut the pieces for me and machined the edges too!

What kind of glass am i looking for and are there any questions that I should ask well I have them on the phone? Tank will be 72x30x20. Thanks

Varga

just some more random pix. My new sps frag, now sure what it is. And equipment pic as promised. what you cant see in the photo is LR + chaeto + heaters + fan in the sump.

_DSC0018.jpg

_DSC0014-1.jpg

_DSC0022.jpg

Varga

It's a DIY venturi skimmer with a Sedra 15000 pump which is so loud!

not sure of the cost. I lost track after tank and stand which is DIY @ $156 if I remember correctly.