Varga's 94 Gallon Cube

Varga

Hey folks,

I'm back :D

Ordering glass first thing in the morning for $100 believe it or not!!

3/8" glass. tank is 24 Tall x 24 Wide x 30 long.

I'm thinking rimless but still researching. I just don't see how the silicone alone can hold these rimless tanks together?? Anyone??

I will be taking loads of pictures.
I have a ton of rock that's been brewing in the 300 and tons of overgrown coral :D

This is Sort of the idea but more cube

DSC_0288.jpg

DaveK

Re: Varga's 75 Gallon Cube

Since you want a tall tank, I think you are going to need much thicker glass, but you could get the tank made out of starfire (low iron) glass, so you wouldn't notice the thickness.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

Hey BUDDY! Good to see you around!

I LOVE the idea and I'll be watching this one!

:)

Varga

Thanks Allen. Good to be back. been so busy with work and life. I'm very exited to set up a new tank :D

mps9506

Thought about that.....not a huge fan of the price....and I hear low-iron means less strong?
[/url]

I've never heard that before.
It is more popular in the thicker glass sizes because the green tint becomes very noticeable in glass thicker than 3/8"

Varga

Glass will be here Monday WOO HOO

Tank just got bigger. 94 gallons 30 x 30 x 24Tall. coast to coast in the back. I'm going to keep track of the cost too. So far $130 for the glass which was far lower than other quotes I got locally.

I still don't know how rimless tanks work. Some flexible silicone can hold 94 gallons of water?

Can you guys please Shed some light?

mps9506

MY DIY skills are limited to Lego kits... So I can't input on the silicone strength...
But I'm glad you are doing the Coast to Coast overflow. You will love it, it is the best way to go IMO.

mps9506

Oh, and FWIW, I think the photo is an Elos tank. They claim to use a proprietary silicone blend that isn't 100% silicone but mixed in with something else to strengthen it.
I have no idea if that is true or not, but could be why they are able to build such large rimless tanks.

Varga

Thank Mike. I think Ill just brace the tank.

working on the stand right now. cant wait for glass to come on Monday.

I think the new tank will be made of 90% water from the 300g and 10% new.

Varga

Pix are coming soon. I am taking my time with this one.

Dave, you would not believe how much I am saving by DIY everything from scratch. so far glass tank + stand cost is under $200 :D

What do you guys think about this one; there is no sump in the stand, the stand IS a sump!

Varga

Hey Allen, can you change the title to Varga's 94 gallon Cube?
If it's too much hassle, don't sweat it.

Bounce

Glass will be here Monday WOO HOO

Tank just got bigger. 94 gallons 30 x 30 x 24Tall. coast to coast in the back. I'm going to keep track of the cost too. So far $130 for the glass which was far lower than other quotes I got locally.

I still don't know how rimless tanks work. Some flexible silicone can hold 94 gallons of water?

Can you guys please Shed some light?

I've been talking to a local manufacturer about building a custom tank and when they go "frameless" (no plastic trim on top/bottom) they still put a glass "rim" around the top of the tank to keep the glass from bowing.

They made my 90 gallon (36x24x24) with the plastic frames but by using thicker glass, they are able to go without the center brace in the middle that you see on most 36"+ tanks. The longest panels (front and back) of my 90 are 1/2" thick. The sides are a little thinner since they do not have to span as long of a distance.

I don't know if that helps or not, but good luck! I really like that shape of tank.

astiesi

I love the look of cubes, 30x30x24 should look great. I'll be following along with the build. :lurk:

Varga

Thanks guys. Just finished the silicone. I think I'll try the rimless thing. Maybe fill up half way in the backyard and give it a few days see what happens. This glass seems so thick and heavy I cant imagine it bowing.

_DSC0091.jpg

_DSC0092.jpg

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF

Man that looks SWEET! I LOVE cubes!!

Here in the south we'd probably leave the duct-tape on and add some Nascar Deals to it :)

Varga

Thank you.

I wanted a cube since the first time I saw one. this tank will have a single 250 halide with icecap and 2x65w actinics. I'm trying to build the most cost efficient tank ever :)