Varga's 94 Gallon Cube

Varga

We went out of town, overflow stopped working sump drained, pumps died....long story short almost everything died and it's been an algae farm for a few months. but I'm bringing some life back into the cube now :D

jessegarcia28

Yo what a bummer.No one watching over tank. that sucks bro, but keep ur head up and atleast u have positive attitude and not quitting. good luck with ur tank

Varga

And now the super slow rebirth of the cube!
Been sitting empty for a while now. I'm going to start by cleaning the rock. Definitely no sand this time around!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Plus one to Glenn's above post!
Very BEST WISHES on starting the cube back up.
:camera: Hope to see lots of pictures :camera:

Varga

Slowwwww progress.....
Cleaned all the rock! Soaked in bleach for several days, then rinsed them well, soaked in fresh water and circulated with a mag5 in a 32g. Changed the water 4 times. Now they are drying to get rid of any remaining bleach.

Still not sure if I want a soft coral tank or a FOWLR; any suggestions? My work is taking up all my focus but I miss having a SW tank to relax by.....so low-maintainance is the name of the game this time around. What remains to be done: sump reconstruction, return system redesign, and of course, getting my wife on board with the whole thing!

Varga

Making some progress today. Ripped out the sump and salvaged the glass. Got this idea that the entire underneath should be one giant sump. I'd like to have the largest return zone possible and also be able to get the skimmer in and out without too much hassle. Positioning the tank so I can have acess to all sides of it.
What it looks like now:
DT: 30 x 30 x 24T ~ 93 Gallons
Sump: 26 x 26 x 16T ~ 48 Gallons
Screen%20Shot%202015-04-23%20at%205.46.59%20PM_zpsbtdt0cay.png

Last edited:

Varga

Some quick progress pix

Finished building this water station outside the house within 2 feet of the tank. This water station allows me to:
- Top off by turning on a ball valve in the stand.
- Do a 12% water change without leaving the tank, without hauling any water inside. Just turn two ball valves and turn on one pump.
- Heat and circulate salt water in the water station without leaving the tank.

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-29%20at%206.10.35%20PM_zpsv8zcdr4m.png

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-25%20at%209.55.59%20AM_zpstezs7wpf.png

My very simple DIY controller. This reef will be powered by plugging in one single cable into the wall.

Screen%20Shot%202015-06-07%20at%205.37.23%20PM_zpsbvq4yoc8.png

StirCrayzy

That station shelf looks like it could use a little more support, but I'm paranoid. When's the water test?
Keep a smoke alarm by that DJ box...
or solder the contacts and connectors solid. I've seen a few meltdowns over the years. Can't remember who was the last... @PSU4ME or @Choff ??
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

Varga

That station shelf looks like it could use a little more support, but I'm paranoid. When's the water test?
Keep a smoke alarm by that DJ box...
or solder the contacts and connectors solid. I've seen a few meltdowns over the years. Can't remember who was the last... @PSU4ME or @Choff ??
Sorry to be a Debbie Downer.

Thanks for the heads up. Have to do some more research before this baby is up and running.

You think swapping the wall outlet with a GFCI would take care of it?