Varga's 300 Gallon In-Wall Build!!!!!!!!!!!!

nikkipigtails

They don't get very large, about the size of a yellow tang. But they are still a tang so I wouldn't suggest anything smaller than a 90 (if their adult size were bigger, then I would obviously suggest a larger tank).

mps9506

They don't get very large, about the size of a yellow tang. But they are still a tang so I wouldn't suggest anything smaller than a 90 (if their adult size were bigger, then I would obviously suggest a larger tank).

Most books list the Z.veliferum and Z.desjardinii (sailfin tangs) as reaching ~15" while Z. flavescens (yellow) typically reach ~8" in length. I think a 180 or larger is more appropriate for the two sailfin species, espcially considering how large the dorsal and anal finnage get.

nikkipigtails

Most books list the Z.veliferum and Z.desjardinii (sailfin tangs) as reaching ~15" while Z. flavescens (yellow) typically reach ~8" in length. I think a 180 or larger is more appropriate for the two sailfin species, espcially considering how large the dorsal and anal finnage get.

My bad. I've never seen one get that big before. The ones I've seen have been about 4-5". But they've also only been a few years old.

JoJo

yea, i was hoping i could have one for few years then upgrade to a bigger tank once we sell this house and buy another one.

Varga

I think batfish will eat corals.
you can keep a sailfin for a couple of years then trade him in for a smaller one. I have seen one the size of a dinner plate! But they do take a long time to get that big. I've had my Naso for about 6 months, I don't think she's grown at all.

nikkipigtails

yeah, the ones I've seen are only a few years old and not any bigger than a yellow tang. I wouldn't want to trade one out but the Desjardinii is my favorite. It has much cooler coloring...
5akuvk.jpg

Varga

That Desjardini looks amazing. nothing like a sailfin tang in a high flow tank. always struggling to not get blown away.

Varga

Finally got some frags in there. Got these locally for $15 each. Just a few beginner corals. Once they do good for a couple of weeks, I'll start putting some real stuff in there :D

Attachments

• frag [640x480].jpg
    frag [640x480].jpg
    33.8 KB · Views: 159
  • frag1 [640x480].jpg
    frag1 [640x480].jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 157
  • frag2 [640x480].jpg
    frag2 [640x480].jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 157
  • frag3 [640x480].jpg
    frag3 [640x480].jpg