Varga's 300 Gallon In-Wall Build!!!!!!!!!!!!

Varga

Since I have been so successful in this hobby lately :) why not take it to the next step. leaving now to go shopping for it. following GARF's directions as I did 5 years ago to build my existing tank. (might decide to not go "in-wall") but most likely will (GF approval pending). GARF recommends keeping it under 24" tall otherwise I'd have to thicken the glass which doubles my cost. and it I keep it short I can still use my existing light fixture.

Goal: Keep it cheap and dont make the mistakes I made with the last tank.

GARF HOME PAGE | 0.96
Tank Information:

Material = Plywood w/ Glass
Tank Height = 24"
Tank Width = 30"
Tank Length = 96 "
Plywood w/ Glass Thickness = 3/4"
Approximate Gallons = 299

Cut List:

3/4" Exterior Grade Plywood

Bottom = 96 " x 30"
Front = 96 " x 23 1/4"
Back = 96 " x 23 1/4"
2 Sides = 23 1/4 " x 28 1/2"
3 Top Brace = 28 1/2 " x 6"
3/8 inch Glass Front
Glass Front = 94 x 21 1/4

Painting the inside:

These coatings are NSF 61/USDA/ANSI/AWWA and FDA certified and approved. Further, epoxy coatings are highly resistant to salts and corrosion and are recommended for marine use.

Some brand name coatings that can be used are:

----- sherwin williams brand "Epoxide HS Tank Lining"-----
----- rustoleum brand "9200" system epoxy with color choices one of which is "9271" dunes tan-------

Stacef

Wow, this is going to be a great ride. Sit back and watch the fireworks!

I am excited to see this all come together.

koffee

Back when I was thinking of building a Paludarium, I was thinking of going with Ames Elasto-Barrier. According to the manufacturer's web site:

Super Elasto-Barrier has been specially formulated for colder weather and to resist fungus, mold, and mildew. Super Elasto-Barrier is potable water compliant, and contains no toxic substances after curing.

I'm not sure if it is a better/similar or cost effective option to the two-part epoxy paints for an aquarium. It might be easier to tint since it is one part. It is just another option for you to research if you want.

Varga

thank you guys for the support. I will post alot of pix and hopefully you guys can stop me from screwing up :)

so far the only questionable thing is the glass which is 3/8" safety glass. recommended by GARF but seems a bit thin to me

going to clean the garage and paint the boards right now. While they dry, I'll start digging into the walls before my GF comes over and tries to stop me :)

ordered the glass and it should be here in 4-5 business days

Craig Manoukian

If the price difference isn't to reat what about 1/2" glass. Starfire glass for the front and sides would be a great improvement for a300 gallon.

althea2you

good luck with the build!.. did you ever test for the copper in your other tank? where are the livestock hanging out while you build this?

CMG

This sounds really cool but I am confused. How do you make a tank out of plywood? Wont the water just soak through? Do you coat the whole inside with silicone or something? :ponder2: